Confirmed with Link: Washington Caps Trade Perreault to Anaheim...

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
@VogsCaps

#Caps have dealt C Mathieu Perreault to the Anaheim Ducks and are down to 23-man roster for 2013-14. Details here: http://dumpnchase.monumentalnetwork.com/caps-trade-perreault-to-ducks/index.jsp …

link to the release/story

The Caps have traded center Mathieu Perreault to the Anaheim Ducks in exchange for Anaheim’s fourth-round pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft and minor league left wing John Mitchell (not to be confused with the other John Mitchell, a center with the Colorado Avalanche).

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Just monumentally stupid. Throw away a useful player for nothing to make sure Beagle and Volpatti have secure spots? Horrible.

Liberati0n*

This seems like really ****** value. At least compared to his potential value to the team.

Wasn't the perception always that Boudreau didn't like him very much?

I like Perreault and I'm disappointed by this, but it's not a big surprise.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Well, I was correct that a trade was coming of a roster player before opening night, but I was wrong about Perreault not playing and what that might mean given all the experimentation and lack of showcasing him.

So, Mitchell adds another forward in Hershey. He played for Haviland last season. Two year contract, but first year was last season. He’s already in the minors, cleared waivers early in the waiver process from a quick search of things, and he's not an AHL vet or tweener vet.

More on Mitchell - his TSN, hockeydb and capgeek profiles

Mitchell's TSN profile

Mitchell's hockeydb profile

http://www.capgeek.com/player/2246

and obviously Boudreau / Woods in Anaheim, not sure what that means for him.

Back to the Caps, I've made my views clear about getting in a cap jam to keep Wilson up and not trading when more value could be returned. Of course, no clue how long they may or may not have been trying to move Perreault or someone else.

Last edited:

Liberati0n*

Just monumentally stupid. Throw away a useful player for nothing to make sure Beagle and Volpatti have secure spots? Horrible.

I think "monumentally" should be a proper noun.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
****. I really, really hate this. I love Purrutu. So when Grabo leaves next offseason, we'll have no 2C or 3C. Sweet move, Mc****face.

Edit: Oh wait, we have Brooks "Mike Richards" Laich to play 2C. All is saved!

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Fair well, Perreault. You will be missed.

KdLDdHT.gif

baHmY6E.gif

Rd6ZwS5.gif

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Katie Carrera ‏@kcarrera
By trading Perreault, the #Caps remove his $1.05 million cap hit from their roster. There’s the room for Tom Wilson and then some.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
hey guys. can you guys tell me anything about perreault?

mitchell is going to be just an AHL guy for the farm team. no NHL upside imo

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Not a fan, is Mitchell any good?
A quick look through his stats say no. I don't really remember him much when he played with Norfolk/Syracuse. He's 27 and really just a Hershey guy. To be honest, he might have to fight for some time with the way some of the guys in Hershey are currently playing in the preseason. Hershey, on paper, looks like they will be pretty tough to beat. Throw in Latta and that makes their roster even better.

Overall I don't like this trade. If you are going to take a contract back with the pick, I would expect it to be someone more useful.

Liberati0n*

hey guys. can you guys tell me anything about perreault?

He's skilled and will fight on the boards and down low (and win a little more than you might expect, but not that much). He's relatively quick but not as much as you might like. His production has been very inconsistent and he tends to blow some defensive reads/coverages, but is consistently effective at driving play in the right direction. He's a pretty good passer/playmaker, but also has an underrated shot. I guess I would say he doesn't do quite a good enough job of creating time and space for himself to produce as much as he maybe looks like he could.

He's an example of a player who produces very well relative to his ice time but never gets bumped up to a bigger role for long enough to see how he'd handle it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
A move had to be made, and if they're committed to Erat/Fehr at center it makes sense. But the return was obviously piss-poor and there were obviously less useful players on the roster (albeit, not with enough cap hit to allow Wilson to stick around).

Meh.

Seriously? George couldn't get a mid-round pick?

He got a 4th in addition to Mitchell.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
But the return was obviously piss-poor and there were obviously less useful players on the roster (albeit, not with enough cap hit to allow Wilson to stick around).
They seemingly could have waived Volpatti, sent Latta down and would have been fine so there were options. It would have been a 22-man roster in that scenario but...who cares?

I won't even miss Perreault really...it's more about subtracting from their actual, proven center depth and whether the bottom six is skilled enough. Maybe Fehr or Erat can handle it but that's an unknown. Perreault certainly had his limitations but wasn't the only one.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
They seemingly could have waived Volpatti, sent Latta down and would have been fine so there were options. It would have been a 22-man roster in that scenario but...who cares?

I won't even miss Perreault really...it's more about subtracting from their actual, proven center depth and whether the bottom six is skilled enough. Maybe Fehr or Erat can handle it but that's an unknown. Perreault certainly had his limitations but wasn't the only one.

Right. I like Perreault, and I'll miss him from a quirks/personality standpoint, but the biggest issue is this is a conscious decision to make the bottom 6 worse for the sake of carrying that 23rd man (it seems). That just can't be justified.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad