Confirmed with Link: Washington Caps Trade Perreault to Anaheim...

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
This team is better with Wilson and Latta on it than MattyP.

I like MP, but this move make the team better. Your bottom line guys need to be defensively responsible or bangers, MP was neither.

And who cares about the return? Traded a 6th rounder for a 4th rounder, seems ok to me.

Liberati0n*

Oh God now a MoJo bash fest.

Won't be long before MoJo has several more points than Wilson and people are whining Wilson should be on the top line.

Other people actually know the difference between right-handed and left-handed, so no.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
This team is better with Wilson and Latta on it than MattyP.

I like MP, but this move make the team better. Your bottom line guys need to be defensively responsible or bangers, MP was neither.

And who cares about the return? Traded a 6th rounder for a 4th rounder, seems ok to me.

Goodness is that an outdated mode of thinking. Do you know why teams put bangers on their 4th lines? Because they can't afford real NHL players. The Caps could have iced 12 real, NHL forwards (including both Perreault and Wilson) if they wanted to. They could have built a shutdown line around, say, Chimera and Ward, and given a guy like Perreault some of the easier matchups (which they had no trouble doing last year, and he rocked in that role).

This wasn't about Wilson vs. Perreault. This was about Volpatti and Latta (or Beagle or...) vs. Perreault, and 23 vs. 22. They chose worse players for the sake of an extra body on hand.

And man is it silly to say "a 6th for a 4th." Perreault is a lottery ticket that they had a modest-to-decent win on, a ticket with very very long odds. So you're ok trading those winnings in for another ticket with slightly better odds than the initial one, but still with terrible odds? That's a silly way to justify it.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
MP could slot on any of line and even play a little wing. More often than others, he was able to provide instant offense. And on the cheap. He was our scoring center depth, and a cheap 13 for when he didn't dress.

I think we have all learned teams that win cups are very strong at C. With you know, actual centers.

Richards, Backes, etc. ;)

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Oh God now a MoJo bash fest.

Won't be long before MoJo has several more points than Wilson and people are whining Wilson should be on the top line.

I don't think anyone doubts Marcus Johansson's talent and skill set. You can't even discuss Perreault in the same sentence let alone paragraph with Johansson when it comes to talent and skill. However if MAJO just showed a tenth of the heart that Perreault does on the ice, Johansson would be an all star. (geesh that sounded like Ara Parseghian in Rudy)

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Goodness is that an outdated mode of thinking. Do you know why teams put bangers on their 4th lines? Because they can't afford real NHL players. The Caps could have iced 12 real, NHL forwards (including both Perreault and Wilson) if they wanted to. They could have built a shutdown line around, say, Chimera and Ward, and given a guy like Perreault some of the easier matchups (which they had no trouble doing last year, and he rocked in that role).

This wasn't about Wilson vs. Perreault. This was about Volpatti and Latta (or Beagle or...) vs. Perreault, and 23 vs. 22. They chose worse players for the sake of an extra body on hand.

And man is it silly to say "a 6th for a 4th." Perreault is a lottery ticket that they had a modest-to-decent win on, a ticket with very very long odds. So you're ok trading those winnings in for another ticket with slightly better odds than the initial one, but still with terrible odds? That's a silly way to justify it.

I watched the Bruins and the Hawks just win SC's with this outdated mode of thinking.

Anyway, you can't keep going to war the same way and expect different results. On Tuesday the Caps will be bigger and tougher than they were ending last season. The third and fourth lines will he much harder to play against. Will they be less offensive minded maybe, but it seems more like a 'team' now then a collection of players.

Btw, the D still sucks ;) but at least up front I like what I see.

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
Perreault has his faults and I wouldn't mind him being traded if we were getting something of value. He had a reasonable contract and brings a lot more to the table then Beagle, Chimera and Volpatti. It won't be a huge loss but I don't see the point in this trade at all.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
I watched the Bruins and the Hawks just win SC's with this outdated mode of thinking.

Anyway, you can't keep going to war the same way and expect different results. On Tuesday the Caps will be bigger and tougher than they were ending last season. The third and fourth lines will he much harder to play against. Will they be less offensive minded maybe, but it seems more like a 'team' now then a collection of players.

Btw, the D still sucks ;) but at least up front I like what I see.

1.) Few teams do anything different. Doing the best with an outdated structure doesn't make the structure less outdated, it just means you got the most out of it. Teams waste their 4th line roster spots as a matter of course because "that's the way it's done." Forgive me for wanting the Caps to be smarter than that.

2.) I'll argue that this is going the same way as they've gone before (keeping a guy like Beagle as 4th line C/PK anchor is very much in line with what they've done in the past; going with power on two bottom-6 lines that were more stylistically different would have been a change) but regardless, of course you can go to war the same way and expect different results. There is a crapload of randomness in hockey (or any sport). The same process can and will produce different results all the time. Best you can do is go with what you think is best. If this is what they think is best I strenuously disagree.

3.) "Harder to play against" and "team vs. collection" strike me as tired narratives. Chasing the puck around all shift from a guy you can't catch is much more tiring than just getting hit and moving on, certainly at this level, especially if the first is a bigger threat to score on you than the second. And if chemistry is a question well I would think it's been clear that Perreault had done well in his niche with several different pairs of wingers. I don't think you can say he was an individual or didn't fit with his likely linemates; they've worked before, they can work again.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I will miss Purrutu as well, but I am with RC24 on the reason he was ultimately moved. The Caps are moving into the Met and they will need big bodies, and a lot of them. Purrutu getting moved allows Wilson and Latta to stay up. Makes sense to me.

What doesn' make sense is using wings at center, but not much can be done about it now accept cross my fingers and hope things work out.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
I mean, even if I'm totally right it's not the end of the world. I just don't like what it says about the Caps' (be it Oates or GMGM) decision making process.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Dumb, pathetic move. Of all the bloated or superfluous contracts, lets trade the guy who played well, cost almost nothing, and provided center depth. The only thing to debate is what is more stupid, this actual move, or the preceding team construction that "forced" McPhee's hand here.

May not matter in the long run, but it just seems to be further indication that McPhee is just a limited GM, can't see crap beyond the next immediate move/season and has terrible asset-management skills. Every specific decision can be justified on some sort of grounds, but in totality it's random motion, or more exactly -- continuous and often undisciplined reactions to immediate circumstances, rather than a strong vision of what the team needs and how to build towards it, while squeezing the most out of what is available.

Good luck to Purrettu. Lets hope Grabo can play well and stay.. and that our overpaid bottom 6 can play well enough to justify their salaries.

Liberati0n*

2.) I'll argue that this is going the same way as they've gone before (keeping a guy like Beagle as 4th line C/PK anchor is very much in line with what they've done in the past; going with power on two bottom-6 lines that were more stylistically different would have been a change) but regardless, of course you can go to war the same way and expect different results. There is a crapload of randomness in hockey (or any sport). The same process can and will produce different results all the time. Best you can do is go with what you think is best. If this is what they think is best I strenuously disagree.

The same way also doesn't mean not better at executing it/better personnel. Anyway, the "same way" is a lot closer to what the other guy is advocating than what you are.

On the bright side, swapping out Perreault for Beagle doesn't change the fact that the forwards overall are probably deeper than they've ever been.

Kegger

Apr 23, 2002
Texas
I liked MP, I really did. But to be honest I think the preseason performances of Grabo and Fehr especially, put the writing on the wall. Best of luck to the guy...

He's very talented , but for me he got pushed around too easy. Lost the puck battles.

sillygoose

Jan 15, 2009
ZOMG, a 4th liner was traded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(ps I like him, just not one of those "fans" that will take every opportunity to bash my team.

noptov

Jan 27, 2009
Mclean, VA
While the return could have been a bit better, I think it's a decent move. An overlooked aspect of this is MattyP was not happy with his amount of playing time and definitely had a problem sitting out as the 13th forward. It would've been great to have that extra offensive depth, but trading him allows the team to keep Wilson up and avoids a potentially bad locker room situation.

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
Terrible return. Just awful.

Not worth it just to have Wilson in the lineup (which could have happened with other less stupid moves or better cap management in the first place).

Brave Sir Robin

Jul 7, 2011
ZOMG, a 4th liner was traded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(ps I like him, just not one of those "fans" that will take every opportunity to bash my team.
It's not so much about MP's value, it's the principle. On a roster filled with overpaid 3rd and 4th liners we trade(more like throw away) the one guy who's on a reasonable contract to free up some cap space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad