Confirmed with Link: Washington Caps Trade Perreault to Anaheim...

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Maybe he requested a trade. George needed 1M in cap room, the perfect storm.

Wouldn't you wonder, seeing a parade of wings tried in your spot? Laich, Erat, Fehr. It wouldn't surprise me if he wanted out.

He was probably well weary of George's promises to "use him more" next year.

Vladiator16*

Imagine we had Forsberg instead of Erat? We would have plenty of room. GMGM for the win.

Imagine not having 2.5 mil per year back up.
Like Perrutoo a lot - funny, quirky little fire ball, but this move isn't a game changer Latta and Wilson better show well this season.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
My biggest problem is that we don't have center depth...we have the illusion of center depth

Backstrom - #1C
Grabovski - Probably gone after this year
Laich, Fehr, Kuznetsov, Johansson, Erat....all better playing at wing
Beagle - #4C

It's entirely possible that we have to use 2 of Laich, Fehr, Kuznetsov, Johansson, or Erat as our #2 and #3 centers next year. Not the recipe for a championship.

It's not like Matty P was a wonderful option in those slots, but why aren't we trading from our winger depth? Cough Cough Chimera

that's one way of looking at it. the other way is that both laich and Johansson are centers playing wing. right now they are a better fit at wing.

the caps have depth. they have more centers than they can use. enough so that they are using centers on the wing. you are putting Johansson in particular in the Fehr category which completely misrepresents the situation.

the caps have
backstrom
grabs/Johansson
laich/Johansson/fehr/beagle/erat
beagle/fehr/latta

a depth player is one that you can get by with. rare one that is as good or better than what you want. laich is a depth defenseman.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
:laugh:

Good call.

Man. All my least favorites players are gone now. I pretty much dont have any complaints about the roster now, aside from the lack of 2LD. Getting closer.

Not for me, there's still butter boy and Michal "not today coach, I have a stomach ache" Neuvirth, and Beagle better not have a repeat of last season.:rant:

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
...and Beagle better not have a repeat of last season.:rant:
Pretty sure Latta will be taking his job in a matter of time. Of anything...it'll be good competition for the 4th line center role.

Im still not sure about Fehr at 3rd line center...but considering how well he's played this preseason...roll with it.

Jasper17

Apr 27, 2004
The absurd over-reaction in this thread to the movement of a marginal asset reminds me of the Della Rovere trade thread.

If a player doesn't have a place in your lineup, then you trade him for what you can get. Period.

What the hell are we even talking about here? The same people that piss and moan about McPhee "protecting his nuts" every trade deadline are now throwing a tantrum about McPhee not protecting a role player that the coach deemed not to be worthy of a top-9 spot? This earth-shattering decision to move a healthy scratch merits hyperventilation?

SDR just signed a two-way AHL/ECHL this week, btw.

The absurd over-reaction is the best part about these boards.

MP had to go. He isn't good enough offensivly to be a top 6 center on a quality NHL team and he isn't good enough defensivly or in the face off circle to be an ideal fit in a bottom 6 role. You can't just keep players on a team because he's a good guy. You have to fill a role and MP didn't really fit perfectly into any role on a team looking to make a playoff run.

I would much rather have the salary cap space so we can keep Tom Wilson and possibly open up a center spot for Latta, who should be a much better fit as a 4th line center than MP due to his style of play, than keep MP or get another bottom 6 forward with a contract that would keep a younger guy off the roster.

It sucks we couldn't get more back. But this was the right trade for the club and for the player.

Jasper17

Apr 27, 2004
Im still not sure about Fehr at 3rd line center...but considering how well he's played this preseason...roll with it.

If Fehr can become a decent center I will never question anything Oates does every again. Because I though this was a joke when I first was told about it.

Never in a million years could I see Fehr as a center.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Love to see everyone's reaction when the center depth has gone to hell again, Wilson falls on his face before 9 games and Carrick and/or Latta is sent down.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Take out 58 and replace with 47. 58 is too puny and we already have Green and Carlson on the pp.

Unless ... you think 58 should be on the 2nd pp instead of Carlson? Or on the first pp instead of Green?
That was an educated guess at what the opening night roster will look like, not what I think it should look like. As of right now, Carrick is still on the roster and Cajokovsky doesn't even have an NHL contract.

This wasted roster spot had more points than any top line player last playoffs. I wonder what is his reason to be hated by coaches and the GM. Probably "not big enough".
I don't think "not big enough" was the reason multiple coaches disliked him. Boudreau would regularly chew him out in practice. It seems more like he had bad habits he would refuse to let go, and played more individually than in the designed systems. Hell, Oates even said this after he got destroyed by Zolnierczyk last year:

"There’s 30 seconds left, the game’s over and Matty [Perreault] thought that he could stickhandle through the team. That’s not what we do, all of us tonight."

I've never seen a coach turn on his own player after he was the subject of a questionable hit before. Hell, even the refs penelized Harry Z.

Trading the smallest guy on the team to make cap room for the new largest guy on the team is no coincidence.
Carrick is smaller than Perreault and made the roster over Cajkovsky and Strachan.

this is trading glen metropolit.
:laugh: Brilliant.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Why is everyone on this board talking about mp85 like we just traded a young pavel bure. It saved salary, and made the team bigger.
Hello, hyperbole. Bigger =/ better. Most admit Perreault was a tweener but nonetheless a somewhat valuable one. It would seem there was too much they didn't like beyond his strengths in terms of system play, defensive reliability and so forth but considering this team's 4-6D I wouldn't have looked to subtract any depth scoring (annoying or not, asystematic or not).

They want to grind games out. I can respect that. I can't fathom it being overly succesful with their existing 4-6D and ongoing puck possession/breakout issues. Plus, if keeping Wilson means he's only playing with Volpatti/Beagle then it strengthens the argument he should have been sent back to Plymouth. Not that he didn't earn the stay but that sort of role is likely to be very simplistic. Too simplistic IMO from a developmental standpoint.

CapsWolverinesUSA

Jan 3, 2007
We have 10 players who would make better salary dumps, but instead we are still stuck over the cap choosing who of average wingers will convert to center position. Amazing.

10? There are 10 players you would want McPhee to ditch on the eve of the season before he got to MP85? Really?

Look, let's be clear about the situation here. Trades made on the eve of the season are done after a coach tells the GM who his go-to roster is. MP85 wasn't 1 of those guys (see: assigned 5th line practice jersey). So he got dealt. If MP85 *had* been one of those guys, he wouldn't have been dealt. This wasn't a straight salary dump. Yes, the reason he was traded rather than stashed in the press box as an extra healthy scratch was cap related, but that's a different kind of situation.

Your personal opinion on MP85's skills couldn't be less relevant. Oates disagrees. Period. So you are essentially demanding that GMGM ignore his coach and trade someone the coach wants to play because that might be a better salary dump than dumping MP85 (who the coach DOESN'T want to play). Nobody running an NHL team thinks like this a week before the opener.

If the Nylander episode showed us anything, it's that this organization is willing to eat the financial ramifications of a mistake if, in the coach's opinion, doing so will help the team. Ted paid the dude like $6 million to play in the AHL for a year and a half. If Joel Ward or Jason Chimera were clearly the odd man out and no takers could be found, none of us have any reason to assume that Ted would force GMGM and Oates to ditch a player they like.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Hello, hyperbole. Bigger =/ better. Most admit Perreault was a tweener but nonetheless a somewhat valuable one. It would seem there was too much they didn't like beyond his strengths in terms of system play, defensive reliability and so forth but considering this team's 4-6D I wouldn't have looked to subtract any depth scoring (annoying or not, asystematic or not).

They want to grind games out. I can respect that. I can't fathom it being overly succesful with their existing 4-6D and ongoing puck possession/breakout issues. Plus, if keeping Wilson means he's only playing with Volpatti/Beagle then it strengthens the argument he should have been sent back to Plymouth. Not that he didn't earn the stay but that sort of role is likely to be very simplistic. Too simplistic IMO from a developmental standpoint.

Wilson would learn nothing beating up on kids in juniors. He can man handle most NHL players and it will only stunt his growth if they sent him back. The kid is ready now and will cut his teeth on the 4th line (You do know Joe Thornton played on his teams 4th line his entire rookie season)

There will be injuries and he will get bumped up.

Besides that Oates is not a coach who uses 3 lines or shortens the bench consistently. He rolls all 4.

Carrick is smaller than Perreault and made the roster over Cajkovsky and Strachan.

First that was a quote from RMNB article.

Second Carrick was clearly the best out of the 3 and it wasn't close. With that said I seriously doubt he replaces Oleksy. He is the #7 Dman.

If you can't see that the Caps are trying to get bigger and more physical I suggest you need to go get an eye exam. ;)

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
“I know Bruce always liked me, I always had good talks with him even though I got sent down a couple times when he was here. He would talk to me I felt like he really liked me as a player,” Perreault said. “I’m excited to see what will happen there. I’ve talked with their GM and they’re excited. I am too.”

I don't think saying BB didn't like MP is accurate. At least according to MP himself.

Quote from here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs.../capitals-trade-mathieu-perreault-to-anaheim/

And is Wilson really using 43? Would think a better number is out there for him after the dust settles. ;)

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
First that was a quote from RMNB article.
\
Such a fountain of quality hockey analysis that place is. :laugh: It's great for fluff pieces and translating Russian media sources [thanks fedfed!], but when it comes to Xs and Os, they're pretty far behind.

Second Carrick was clearly the best out of the 3 and it wasn't close. With that said I seriously doubt he replaces Oleksy. He is the #7 Dman.
They don't keep a 19 year old on the roster if he's going to be the #7.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
They don't keep a 19 year old on the roster if he's going to be the #7.

Not based on the practice lines today. Seems like thats exactly what they will do. Oleksy did nothing to lose his spot and has more experience and size. He will be 3 RD as of now.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
br....do you think McPhee kept carrick to get scratched regular? wouldn't that role fit oleksy far better? could be carrick is being kept for only the short run to give him some games, but as long as he's on the roster, I would expect him to be playing far more than watching.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
He rolls all 4.
A line with Volpatti & Beagle shouldn't be, though. Maybe Wilson gets the bump and puts heat on Brouwer/Ward. Regardless, that fourth line is bound to be populated by a RW dragged down by their linemates.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
A line with Volpatti & Beagle shouldn't be, though. Maybe Wilson gets the bump and puts heat on Brouwer/Ward. Regardless, that fourth line is bound to be populated by a RW dragged down by their linemates.

Once Laich is healthy, you can push one of Volpatti or Bealge/Latta out of the line-up, and make the 4th line a little better.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
If there was a time for Oates to show CC took that 3RD spot, it would be today.

I assume he can be sent down to Plymouth and expect him there within 10 games, assuming todays practice lines are accurate; injuries aside.

They are just giving him a taste of the bigs for a fine camp, I would presume.

He will be just fine if he doesn't play most of the games. Otherwise, off seasons would ruin all our top prospects.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
If there was a time for Oates to show CC took that 3RD spot, it would be today.

I assume he can be sent down to Plymouth and expect him there within 10 games, assuming todays practice lines are accurate.

They are just giving him a taste of bigs for a fine camp, I would presume.

Every indication management has given is that Carrick would be sent to Hershey, rather than Plymouth, if he were demoted. He was drafted out of the USHL, so there's no restriction on him playing in the AHL at age 19. It also means his contract tolls regardless, so no need for the 10 game restriction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad