Speculation: Was Babcock the reason why M&M didn't Sign for 8 Years

Do you believe Babcock was a decided factor to Marner & Matthwes signing for less term

• Total voters

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
If Babcock is fired after Game 7 or during the summer as some thought might happen, the thinking is that Marner would have signed a more friendly contract?
Not only that, but Nylander and Matthews would have waltzed into Dubas' office with two hockey bags full of bonus money and returned it.

Reactions: nsleaf and Buds17

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
i havent seen any more about marner in months about the negotiations. Just that its a bit too high, there is no damage to control anymore. Releasing this straight after the negotiations were done that would have been great damage control
The very fact that sports net has him on the front page now calling for players to “speak their truth” is plenty of reason for damage control.
Makes him look like a spoiled brat yet again.... which the media seems to enjoy now that he is so grossly overpaid

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
The very fact that sports net has him on the front page now calling for players to “speak their truth” is plenty of reason for damage control.
Makes him look like a spoiled brat yet again.... which the media seems to enjoy now that he is so grossly overpaid

i dont know about that, this story came out he told the truth and is now leaning into it. Also since that other players have come out and said the truth about peters and babcock further. It may be a coincidence but all the peters news broke after babs

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
:laugh: you're all over the place and none of it makes any sense.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
i havent seen any more about marner in months about the negotiations. Just that its a bit too high, there is no damage to control anymore. Releasing this straight after the negotiations were done that would have been great damage control
Marner had an amazing negotiation. They did great by any standard. You won't hear anything else period. I have not heard a word either since last season. I believe it is a self imposed thing now though after Shanny asked for quiet. I would take a large wager that nothing came from or will come from Marner unless Mitch says something to a reporter.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
I think it's impossible to say how much of an impact Babcock had. I wouldn't be shocked if Marner and Matthews needed a little more convincing as a result of having to play under Babcock. We heard that Marner needed to be convinced not to demand a trade when listgate happened.

Last time I suggested that it's possible that it played into the lack of discounts from our star players someone got angry and said "oh, so now it's Babcock's fault not Dubas?" so I'll take this opportunity to say that I don't think it's the only reason if it is a reason and yes, the GM is still the one that signed the contracts.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
The term argument makes no sense since Babcock's would have ended earlier. I do truly believe it had at least done effect on how the dollar value negotiations went.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
I think the driving force was to get another massive contract while still in their prime in 5-6 years. I don't think they liked the coach but money was the main consideration. We've already seen that they value money over anything else.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Actually, we have a very comparable contract to Matthews in Malkin, as for Marner there isn’t even a ballpark close comparable, so no, I don’t think they’re a “little different” I think Marner is overpaid by a good 2M and Matthews is exactly where he should be. Everything points to it, including the eye test. Nothing Marner has done has eclipsed Matthews besides staying healthy.
You have nothing. And are wrong. Best to stay silent.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
At this point there’s been literally millions of excuses made to try and rationalize the unprecedented dramatic overpayments. Here’s another one.

But the truth is that it was nothing more than a rookie gm that didn’t know what he was doing who himself admitted he was learning as he goes. The end.

Funny how you wanted "Dubas to be investigated for criminal activity" yet you just want to glaze over these Babcock incidents like they're no big deal.

Very interesting...

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I don’t think it played a role in either players desire for term. As mentioned here already Matthews wanted 8 years to begin with, and from Marners perspective he wanted what Austin got. Where it might of made a difference was in how much AAV they ultimately received. If the guys were playing for someone they were in total alignment with, maybe they all take a bit less.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Babcock had an eight year deal. Matthews and Marner both had extensions that kicked in with four years down on Babcock's deal and four to go. If they wanted to stay but hated the coach, why wouldn't they sign for the full eight years? That gives them four years Babcock free at the end. I'm happy to blame Babcock for all kinds of things that were wrong with the team, but those contracts are on Dubas and have next to nothing to do with Babcock.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
He signed for 6 years (with Babcock still having 4 years on his contract). Makes no sense that Babcock had anything to do with the length of the deal.

Seems like a pretty easy answer.

If he signed for 1 or 2 I could see this being the case, but he signed for longer then the remainder of Babcock's contract.

I think Babcock may have been a factor for prices raising, but noone knows how much of a factor.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Funny how you wanted "Dubas to be investigated for criminal activity" yet you just want to glaze over these Babcock incidents like they're no big deal.

Very interesting...
Dubas overpayments are so extreme that I’m suspicious of illegal activity. If there’s nothing there, then there’s nothing there. It’s just a suspicion.

With Babcock, he did some crappy things that were worthy of being fired over. And... uh... he’s fired. Which should really just be the end of all this.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
First off i only offered bridge deals to Marner and Nylander.

I am on record for both.

If Dubas felt people wanted top Dollar because of Babcock, then he definitely should have bridged all 3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad