Speculation: Was Babcock the reason why M&M didn't Sign for 8 Years

Do you believe Babcock was a decided factor to Marner & Matthwes signing for less term

• Total voters

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Doesn't matter. The question doesn't specify rate. It states that Babs was the reason Auston didn't sign an 8 year deal. Clearly he was willing to.

Yah for $14m sure. Point is, "doesnt matter" is wrong - it does matter. AM34 clearly was willing to sign FOR MORE longer term. Babcock was a part of that, obviously.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Lol nothing obvious about that statement.

Auston was never taking less.

So it's purely coincidental that AM, Marner, and Nylander all play hardball for seemingly higher than market rate contracts while also working for / with a world class asshole of a coach.

If you dont think who they play for and what their situation is factors into their contract asks then your head is in the sand bud. It's just a part of life in every job in every industry.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
So it's purely coincidental that AM, Marner, and Nylander all play hardball for seemingly higher than market rate contracts while also working for / with a world class ******* of a coach.

If you dont think who they play for and what their situation is factors into their contract asks then your head is in the sand bud. It's just a part of life in every job in every industry.
It's not coincidence, it's reality. They took advantage of a rookie GM who got taken to school by their agents.

Unless of course you've got some sort of evidence showing otherwise?

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
All I know is that Babcock is the reason I stubbed my toe the other day. My dog had an accident in the living room and there isn’t world peace.....

Seriously can the mods close this thread.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
All I know is that Babcock is the reason I stubbed my toe the other day. My dog had an accident in the living room and there isn’t world peace.....

Seriously can the mods close this thread.
Traffic sucked on the way home too, can only assume that was Babs.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
So it's purely coincidental that AM, Marner, and Nylander all play hardball for seemingly higher than market rate contracts while also working for / with a world class ******* of a coach.

Its more coincidental than it is by design , because only Nylander actually held out during the season. Matthews signed mid season last year and by all accounts, it seemed rather quick and easy . Marner's camp only wanted to negotiate after the season was over, you can't exactly sign Marner when he isn't willing to discuss a deal during the season and quite frankly, he hardly missed much time either. He was really the only one who signed above market value but that's on Dubas . I don't really believe that they'd purposely try to sabotage their own team and put their GM's in a more difficult situation to build a team and hurt their own chances at winning a cup because if we're led to believe that they played poorly on purpose to fire Babcock, they could have just as easily done that by taking less money.

Don't get me wrong though, Its always possible that they asked for more to spite Babcock, but what is probable(to me) is that these players know the cap will go up in a few short years due to expansion, gambling and TV rights coming up which could bring the cap up to 100 million . You have to remember, players salaries have always gone up and it will continue to do so, comparing these deals to what players signed 5+ years ago is a bit pointless. Look at the whole Draisaitl situation , he was looked at as being overpaid, now he looks like a bargain.

Reactions: dubplatepressure

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Yes - Babcock was a major reason that the Leafs' needed to overpay both Matthews and Marner. It was so obvious that this was going to happen that I said it before Dubas was named GM.

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
The 5 or 8 year term isn't what captures me.

It's the fact that they fought down and dirty for every cent. I have a strange feeling that they would have been far more open to better deals had we not been forcing them to put up with Babcock.
they got agents though that are impartial to team relationships and just want to get the player paid so they get a high commision

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad