Speculation: Was Babcock the reason why M&M didn't Sign for 8 Years

Do you believe Babcock was a decided factor to Marner & Matthwes signing for less term

• Total voters

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This would have some credibility as plausible if you believe the "Inmates are running the Asylum" and them not liking the Warden.

However since they signed parole eligible contracts that were done to align with the Warden's contract length of term that makes it more hard to sell as believable.

If however the Inmates were dogging it in hopes of trying to get the Warden fired 20+ games into their new deals, then that would suggest they would want to lock in for full term deals thereafter once they achieved their agenda.

So all signs point to this theory doesn't seem to have any merit based on the evidence we have. :)

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
The 5 or 8 year term isn't what captures me.

It's the fact that they fought down and dirty for every cent. I have a strange feeling that they would have been far more open to better deals had we not been forcing them to put up with Babcock.

I have a strange feeling that Matthews wanted to be paid more than Tavares and similarly to McDavid, and Marner wanted to be paid similarly to Matthews. Fortunately for them, their buddy Nylander had already scared the crap out of Dubas so he was obliging to both of them.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
He had 4 years remaining. The both signed for longer than thst.

That doesn't mean Babcock wouldn't still be here after his 4 years were done. Only Kreskin could predict that. The fact that they kept him for the last couple years despite the issues raised doubt in the minds of the players. I think they wanted a premium for dealing with this jerk every day.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I question what role Peters had with this situation?

Did he coach any current Leafs in the lower leagues?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
That doesn't mean Babcock wouldn't still be here after his 4 years were done. Only Kreskin could predict that. The fact that they kept him for the last couple years despite the issues raised doubt in the minds of the players. I think they wanted a premium for dealing with this jerk every day.
What? :laugh:

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
You think wrong at every level. Relatively speaking, there is little difference in their overpayments. What you state is a mere reflection of your biases based on little imperical evidence.

Actually, we have a very comparable contract to Matthews in Malkin, as for Marner there isn’t even a ballpark close comparable, so no, I don’t think they’re a “little different” I think Marner is overpaid by a good 2M and Matthews is exactly where he should be. Everything points to it, including the eye test. Nothing Marner has done has eclipsed Matthews besides staying healthy.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
He didn't want maximum term at the salary of the extension he signed.

Yes, he wanted to get paid but the poster asked if they didn’t take term because of Babcock. They didn’t take term because of Dubas wanting a lower caphit.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I don't think it impacted their willingness to sign long term.

If the relationship is as negative as it now seems it's nigh on impossible that it didn't impact both their asks and their "reasonableness" in negotiations.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I have a strange feeling that Matthews wanted to be paid more than Tavares and similarly to McDavid, and Marner wanted to be paid similarly to Matthews. Fortunately for them, their buddy Nylander had already scared the crap out of Dubas so he was obliging to both of them.
it's not a strange feeling at all , it's probably exactly why they asked for what they did and there many reports saying Marner felt he should get a similar deal as Mathews

Reactions: egd27

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Matty would have signed LT but not at price Leafs wanted to pay so term dropped to make the numbers work for both sides

Marner got as close as he could get to Tavares on money and term was the filler

I don't think TERM was all that important except to say both guys wanted enough term in case of injury ie they are both set for life now

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
I definitely believe that Babcock will be used as a convenient excuse by then marner camp on why he forced the leafs to drastically overpay him.

I also believe it was his dad or agent who leaked that story about ranking players to the media. Some damage control

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
At this point there’s been literally millions of excuses made to try and rationalize the unprecedented dramatic overpayments. Here’s another one.

But the truth is that it was nothing more than a rookie gm that didn’t know what he was doing who himself admitted he was learning as he goes. The end.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
I personally don’t buy this narrative. Tavares signing changed the dynamics and then of course Nylander pushing the limits.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I definitely believe that Babcock will be used as a convenient excuse by then marner camp on why he forced the leafs to drastically overpay him.

I also believe it was his dad or agent who leaked that story about ranking players to the media. Some damage control
Leaked the story? :laugh:
Many knew about this when it happened, it wasn't some dark secret.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Where has this story been for the last three years
Ferris' vault waiting for the perfect moment to release it?
They had to pay off Mark Fraser first which complicated things

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
i think matthews has nothing to do with babs.

Marner i think his treatment by babs and lou may have made him less open to anything other than top dollar. We hear about not getting the bouns' from lou during the negotiation and now we hear about this from babs. Slightly off topic but i think babock as coach made nylander fight to the death for every last penny too or at least more inclined to. If you dont enjoy your job and your boss you better be getting top dollar to stick around doing it

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
At this point there’s been literally millions of excuses made to try and rationalize the unprecedented dramatic overpayments. Here’s another one.

But the truth is that it was nothing more than a rookie gm that didn’t know what he was doing who himself admitted he was learning as he goes. The end.

:thumbu:

/all contract threads

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

i havent seen any more about marner in months about the negotiations. Just that its a bit too high, there is no damage to control anymore. Releasing this straight after the negotiations were done that would have been great damage control

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
If Babcock is fired after Game 7 or during the summer as some thought might happen, the thinking is that Marner would have signed a more friendly contract?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad