Player Discussion Warren Foegele

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Oilers sign or trade for a decent bottom 6 option, and decide to slot him into the top 6 where he proves he doesn't belong, so the fanbase starts calling him useless.

It's a tale as old as time.
Him being in the top 6 probably has nothing to do with 2 top 6 players out.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Oilers sign or trade for a decent bottom 6 option, and decide to slot him into the top 6 where he proves he doesn't belong, so the fanbase starts calling him useless.

It's a tale as old as time.

Unrealistic expectations. People wanted a 20 goal, 40 point middle six winger, rather than the 10 - 15 goal, 20 - 30 point 3rd line winger.
Bang on. You can see it coming a mile away if he gets moved. Will find a nice home on a third line and do what we brought him in to do, then we'll be looking for another guy to fill his spot.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Bang on. You can see it coming a mile away if he gets moved. Will find a nice home on a third line and do what we brought him in to do, then we'll be looking for another guy to fill his spot.
I have to admit, I was hoping Foegle had another gear that he could hit offensively, but it looks like he has plateaud at exactly what he was in Carolina. Which is fine, as we have needed a guy like him for a long time. Unfortunately he feels a bit overpaid give his output, but he also has been incredibly snakebitten.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
He is starting to take the body more which is what I like to see. He doesn't have to go head-hunting like 2017 Playoff Kassian but I would like to see him be like an Evander Kane or josh Archibald and continue finishing checks 3-4 times a game.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Unrealistic expectations. People wanted a 20 goal, 40 point middle six winger, rather than the 10 - 15 goal, 20 - 30 point 3rd line winger.
I don’t know. It’s not so much the production. I didn’t expect a team worst - player.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He is starting to take the body more which is what I like to see. He doesn't have to go head-hunting like 2017 Playoff Kassian but I would like to see him be like an Evander Kane or josh Archibald and continue finishing checks 3-4 times a game.
He's 2nd on the team among forwards for hits right now with 92 (with Kane on pace to pass him fairly quickly). Overall, I would like most of our forwards to take the body a bit more, but Foegle is doing better than most. People talk about Benson getting gritty, but Foegle has twice the hits of Benson.

Reactions: Magnum23

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He's 2nd on the team among forwards for hits right now with 92 (with Kane on pace to pass him fairly quickly). Overall, I would like most of our forwards to take the body a bit more, but Foegle is doing better than most. People talk about Benson getting gritty, but Foegle has twice the hits of Benson.
Probably because he has twice the games. Hits per 60 Benson is 2nd among forwards that played a meaningful amount of games.

I'm not Benson supporter either, just pointing it out

Reactions: McDoused

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Foegele is worth hanging on to, he's putting up basically identical numbers to last season. If you can count on him for 35 points, with hopefully some room to grow, that's solid for a bottom six guy who can play up the lineup in a pinch.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

He has some hits, but it's not like he's making any impact with them. He pretty much just bumps guys because he knows he needs to throw hits to stay in the league, but looks like he has no interest in doing it otherwise.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He has some hits, but it's not like he's making any impact with them. He pretty much just bumps guys because he knows he needs to throw hits to stay in the league, but looks like he has no interest in doing it otherwise.
"He needs to be more physical"
- But he has the 2nd most hits on the team
"No, not that type of physical, some other type of physical would be better".

I think your analysis of Foegle's forechecking is pretty far gone. He hits guys. Not every hit has to erase everyone.

Reactions: OilynutEsquire

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
And we aren't getting that either. I don't know how anyone could even suggest that with a straight face. He's our 8th best forward at the moment. Might be 9th with McLeod's development.
I was referring to the fact he’s a team worst -14

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012

Hmm very interesting,for some reason I notice Benson,Kane’s hits a lot more. Maybe because I’m not a stats guy but I’m surprised Foegele has that many hits - need to watch more closely

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Hmm very interesting,for some reason I notice Benson,Kane’s hits a lot more. Maybe because I’m not a stats guy but I’m surprised Foegele has that many hits - need to watch more closely
I was surprised to see anyone questioning Foegle's physicality. He seems to bang quite a bit out there to me.

Soon after the trade, someone compared Foegle to Ethan Moreau. I argued that comparison, as I felt Foegle had more upside to give but in retrospect I was quite wrong. Ethan Moreau is a decent comparable for Foegle.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I still like the idea of the player. I wish he was a bit more consistent. I think him and Ryan have been better under Woodcroft. That being said, I dont think he should be played in the top 6.

I wouldnt really focus too much on the negative plus/minus. That occurred over a pretty short stretch for him and Ryan under Tippett.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Best forward on the ice tonight debatably. I think he'll start to see more success when RNH comes back in specific, but even Pulju.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I liked Foegele when he first got here, as I don't recall a lot of viewings of him in Carolina, but I had not idea he was this offensively challenged (I'm being nice). He does hit, but it seems he does it because he's told to do it. There just doesn't seem to be a lot of meanness or hit to hurt mentality (and I don't mean being dirty). For his salary, I think we can do better, so I think they probably move on from him in the summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad