Player Discussion Warren Foegele

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Maybe he is worth trying to rehab over a year, if not he is worth probably like a 5th round pick. Might pass thru waivers

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I'm not really too worried about his "lack of production offensively" as long as he continues to work his butt off. I love his game in the offensive zone and can draw a lot of penalties. My issues earlier this season would be that he would take the odd penalty or make a dumb play in the defensive zone. Both of those issues can be worked on and improved on.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
He's out 7th highest scoring forward. That seems pretty good. Why the hate?
He's actually tied for 10th in scoring, and 7 goals in 59 games is nothing to ride home about but he is the team's best at a, -14. Carolina fans were bag on

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
>Trade for a bottom 6'er who is noted to lack ability to play in the top 6 for extended time
>Gets mad when he isn't good in the top 6

Not even going to say I'm the biggest fan of the player, but he's been here for only 60 games, 40 some of which came with Tippshitt as his coach. Give him some time and keep him in the bottom 6. I'd rather have him on 3rd/4th line left wing than Benson or f***ing Shore. Also, complaining about his cap hit is fair, but if they flip him Holland's just gonna overpay another Turris-esque plug for 2 years.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
My issue with him isn't his lack of offensive production, it's not being physical enough or crashing the net enough. If he can do those things consistently then he's alright in my books. Last night we saw him and even Hyman taking the body hard. We need to see more of that from Foegele IMO.

FacetheTruth

Mar 6, 2002
Calgary, Alberta
Visit site
Foegle had a rough start to the season but in the last 15 games Is 2g 3a 5p and +1. He is fast, hits, competes most every shift and needs to work on his touch around the net. Not a perfect player and has some turnovers, but fits the Woodcroft style better. I like his compete, willingness to go into the dirty areas of the ice and his board work…let him adjust in Edmonton for a season. All the guys trying to run the physical players out of town are hard to understand….. Edmonton will not win with a team of perimeter players. Team needs balance.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
My issue with him isn't his lack of offensive production, it's not being physical enough or crashing the net enough. If he can do those things consistently then he's alright in my books. Last night we saw him and even Hyman taking the body hard. We need to see more of that from Foegele IMO.

Pretty much this. Expecting offense out of our bottom 6 is a bit much [though would be nice]. It's just from a physicality stand point, they are all so timid. Yesterday was the first game in a long while I've noticed our bottom 6 legit hitting.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Another guy that fools GMs because of physical tools. Big and fast, but has no skill, is poor defensively and shows the bare minimum in physicality.

They'll probably have to move him sooner than later since he's making about three times too much money.

Reactions: frag2

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Another guy that fools GMs because of physical tools. Big and fast, but has no skill, is poor defensively and shows the bare minimum in physicality.

They'll probably have to move him sooner than later since he's making about three times too much money.
^^Best analogy

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

I like the player but he's making fundamental mistakes and that lands on the coaching. If a bottom six player isn't getting the puck in deep you sit that player until he gets the message and makes the right play and the simple play everytime. If he doesn't he's comes out of the rotation.

McLeod is a younger player who was making very similar mistakes. He's starting to sort them out. But he got demoted several times and he's only starting to figure it out.

Going to get called a Flames fan again but that's how Darryl Sutter does it. I'll tell you this without any hesitation, Warren Foegele would be a monster on a Darryl Sutter coached team. I won't be surprised if Foegele ends up a Flame and good one.

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park
^^Best analogy
I'd have to disagree that he has no skills. I think he's honestly a bit snake bitten this year. I also think he has some damn good board work in the offensive zone. The amount of times i've seen him come out with the puck after a board battle is a lot more than most players on this team. His cap hit might be a little high but i don't think he's nearly as useless as you and some other think he is. He's also been MILES better under Woodcroft than he was under Tippett.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I'd have to disagree that he has no skills. I think he's honestly a bit snake bitten this year. I also think he has some damn good board work in the offensive zone. The amount of times i've seen him come out with the puck after a board battle is a lot more than most players on this team. His cap hit might be a little high but i don't think he's nearly as useless as you and some other think he is. He's also been MILES better under Woodcroft than he was under Tippett.

I'd say he's a lot snake bitten this season. 6.6% shooting percentage which is about 3% under his previous worst shooting % despite getting some PP time for the first time in his career.

His expected goals for % at 5 on 5 is 52% and his actual goals for is 41%.

I predict fans will like him more next season.

Reactions: McDoused

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I think he comes pretty much as advertised. Good wheels, good hustle but essentially a 3rd line guy who can chip in with a few goals. Not great value for his contract but not bad either.
2,75m is perfectly fine for a 3rd liner who can chip in 12-15 goals, 30 points a year. If the Oilers get the Foegele that was a forechecking, net crashing demon in Carolina, it's a good value contract.

Honestly, I'm not sure what people were expecting of the player. He comes pretty much as advertised outside of a stretch, during the Oilers slump, when he was floating along with the rest of the team.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
2,75m is perfectly fine for a 3rd liner who can chip in 12-15 goals, 30 points a year. If the Oilers get the Foegele that was a forechecking, net crashing demon in Carolina, it's a good value contract.

Honestly, I'm not sure what people were expecting of the player. He comes pretty much as advertised outside of a stretch, during the Oilers slump, when he was floating along with the rest of the team.
Oilers sign or trade for a decent bottom 6 option, and decide to slot him into the top 6 where he proves he doesn't belong, so the fanbase starts calling him useless.

It's a tale as old as time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad