Player Discussion Warren Foegele

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Always liked what I saw when he’d show up on highlights packages. Hope he is worth the loss of Bear, that’s a tough pill to swallow. But I welcome him and his energy, speed, size, and hopefully untapped potential to the team.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I like Foegele quite a bit. I’m always a fan of guys with good size who can really skate and go to the net. Given the relative scarcity of RH Defenceman though, I feel like we should’ve gotten a mid round pick from Carolina to level it out a bit. Minor quibble, but the little things add up.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I like Foegele quite a bit. I’m always a fan of guys with good size who can really skate and go to the net. Given the relative scarcity of RH Defenceman though, I feel like we should’ve gotten a mid round pick from Carolina to level it out a bit. Minor quibble, but the little things add up.
I've always found with watching Foegele a bit is he has more skill then you expect and shows pretty good hands sometimes.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Most years you are right but there was absolutely tons of right shot d available this year. Like the majority of the quality d this year were right shots. Out of all the big potential UFA d, Oleksiak was the only lefty

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
I basically don't know anything about this kid. Is he physical? We need more bruisers in our lineup, especially since Larsson walked away.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pointteen

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I always wanted Bear traded for an equivalent level forward and Holland actually managed to do that and a bit more with Foegele imo.

Foegele is a great addition to the 3rd line. The bottom 6 is finally starting to look respectable. If the Oilers can snag Tatar (or someone similar) for dirt cheap (e.g., Barrie style deal) as 2LW and bump Nuge to 3C, I'd argue the Oilers would have a top 5 bottom 6 in the NHL and the overall best forwards on paper.

Foegele - RNH - Kassian
Shore/McLeod/Benson/Holloway - Ryan - Archibald

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
I loved Bear but I believe Foegle adds scoring to the third line that we were missing
Foegele generates a lot of chances and drives the net hard, but he has a lot of trouble finishing.

He'll help our third line break even, but we'll be lucky if he scores fifteen unless he has a breakthrough in finishing.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Foegele generates a lot of chances and drives the net hard, but he has a lot of trouble finishing.

He'll help our third line break even, but we'll be lucky if he scores fifteen unless he has a breakthrough in finishing.
When's the last time we had someone playing exclusively on the third line playing 5 on 5 minutes and penalty killing that was capable of scoring 15 goals?

space321

May 11, 2011
What kind of contract are we expecting? 2.25M x 2? Or something longer? Idk if committing 4+ years to a bottom 6 player is such a good idea though.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
When's the last time we had someone playing exclusively on the third line playing 5 on 5 minutes and penalty killing that was capable of scoring 15 goals?
It's been a long time. Foegele is a good player who will get spot duty in the top six too--especially if there are any injuries.

I'm just saying that (a) we shouldn't expect 15 goals based on his record, and (b) that Bear has more value than him.

I like Foegele. I'm happy we have him.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
What kind of contract are we expecting? 2.25M x 2? Or something longer? Idk if committing 4+ years to a bottom 6 player is such a good idea though.

Stauffer was speculating an AAV of $2.25M to $2.5M (and $1.75M - $2M for Yamamoto on that note). He didn't suggest any term but I would guess the longer the term, the higher the AAV. I wouldn't mind going on the higher end of that speculated amount to lock him up for 3-4 years

Reactions: CanmoreMike

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
I like Foegele.

Need guys like him driving hard to the net. It was frustrating watching us playing scared and taking perimeter shots in the playoffs. Most of our skill guys aren't ones to take the punishment and come back at them. With Hyman and Foegele, I'm glad we addressed that area of need.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Stauffer was speculating an AAV of $2.25M to $2.5M (and $1.75M - $2M for Yamamoto on that note). He didn't suggest any term but I would guess the longer the term, the higher the AAV. I wouldn't mind going on the higher end of that speculated amount to lock him up for 3-4 years
I don't know. At first I was pleased to hear about the Warren Foegele acquisition but purely from recalling some lively plays I've seen out of the player in the past. I can't say I've followed his development. We are at the mercy of our pro-scouting and management teams.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
I don't know. At first I was pleased to hear about the Warren Foegele acquisition but purely from recalling some lively plays I've seen out of the player in the past. I can't say I've followed his development. We are at the mercy of our pro-scouting and management teams.

If it helps he has been identified at various times as a buy-low candidate in articles posted by Lowetide on The Athletic.

I think it's one reason many Oilers fans were excited about his addition. (Others have obviously seen him and liked what they saw).

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
I like Foegele.

Need guys like him driving hard to the net. It was frustrating watching us playing scared and taking perimeter shots in the playoffs. Most of our skill guys aren't ones to take the punishment and come back at them. With Hyman and Foegele, I'm glad we addressed that area of need.

It's also infectious through the lineup. Archibald plays with some reckless abandon. Kassian has in the past (recent and distant) and I can see guys like Yamamoto and JP following.

I remember this team in 2017 they had a swagger with the big bodies and found everyone through the lineup played with that swagger.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
If it helps he has been identified at various times as a buy-low candidate in articles posted by Lowetide on The Athletic.

I think it's one reason many Oilers fans were excited about his addition. (Others have obviously seen him and liked what they saw).

I believe holland said in his presser that the hurricanes GM was once his assistant GM or something?

I will say its nice to have a GM that is respected and well known. Complete contrast to chia who basically cost us Dougie Hamilton and no one likes him.

Reactions: Leo360 and Oilhawks

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Welcome to the Oilers, Foegele!

I didn’t know he was already training with McDavid before the trade. Connor making moves for us to give him some depth up front.

I really like the way our forward core is shaping up, I don’t even know the last time our depth was this good up front. Best in the McDavid era for sure.

sportsdynasty

Mar 31, 2011
www.nhltraderumors.me
It's been a long time. Foegele is a good player who will get spot duty in the top six too--especially if there are any injuries.

I'm just saying that (a) we shouldn't expect 15 goals based on his record, and (b) that Bear has more value than him.

I like Foegele. I'm happy we have him.

Foegele has more value than Bear. And Bouchard has more value than Bear
Can't keep Bear on the team when you should be playing Bouchard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad