Player Discussion Warren Foegele

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Maybe I missed this, but I don’t recall the bolded being mentioned regarding the trade. Was this stated by the org?
Him not getting a chance in top6 was the main reason he wanted out of CAR as per rumors circulating after last season in CAR

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Him not getting a chance in top6 was the main reason he wanted out of CAR as per rumors circulating after last season in CAR

Could be, not sure that it means he was traded here with the promise of top 6 usage or that he was targeted to be a top 6 player. I remember hearing something about him wanting a chance to play top 6 after the trade

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Could be, not sure that it means he was traded here with the promise of top 6 usage or that he was targeted to be a top 6 player. I remember hearing something about him wanting a chance to play top 6 after the trade
I don't believe anything was promised to him but he did got a couple looks in top 6 ..
He has a good skillset but hands of an AHLer.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I don't believe anything was promised to him but he did got a couple looks in top 6 ..
He has a good skillset but hands of an AHLer.

Yeah, he’s definitely not a top 6 talent. I recall his stints in the top 6 being when Tippett was desperate for answers and the team was slumping. I could be wrong though, honestly don’t remember

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
He is good to have this year as a quality depth player when Kane+McLeod+Pulju+Yama are making 5Mil combined. Next season may be a different story

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Same reason we traded Cogliano back in the day. Sometimes guys need a 2nd team to show them that they aren't top six guys.
true, although with Foegele he does get some minutes in the top six. We do see one of the regulars spend time with Nuge on the third line sometimes, if for no other reason than to spread the attack out. Kassian gets minutes in the top six too. It was probably a similar deal for Cogliano in Anaheim.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
He looked so good since Woody took over, especially in the last few games of the regular season. Was really expecting him to be one of the noticeable impact players in the series.
But Woody is playing him less than 9 minutes average/night. No one else is below 10 minutes except Kassian (of players who played multiple games in the series). So far he's still looking for that first point, and haven't really noticed him do anything impactful

His last 18 playoff games in Carolina, he put up 3 pts. But put up 9 pts (4G, 5A) in his inaugural season in 15 playoff games. We need to awaken that version of Warren Foegele

But we're still only 4 games into the playoffs, perhaps he'll have a breakout performance tomorrow. I'm sure he's aware he needs to elevate his game. His style of play is built for playoff hockey

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
I really like McLovin. He comes to play every night. He creates good chances but has a hard time finishing. Honestly Hyman is the perfect guy for him to model his game after. He isn't there yet, but he has alot of good qualities.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
He had a few big hits early in the series and hasn't done much since IMO. We need more from him.
Considering he only had 3 or 4 shifts per period and less than 2 minutes per period despite the game not being heavy on special teams minutesearly in the game, I'm not sure how anyone really gets into that game last night with at least 4 minutes between almost every shift sometimes as long as 10 minutes.

I'm not saying he's earned a lot more, but Woodcroft was obviously too concerned about giving much time to Brassard and it essentially eliminated Foegele and Kassian once he decided to elevate McLeod to support RNH and Archibald, and as a result neither even had a chance to impact the game. Kassian was basically benched after having breakaway on his first shift. I don't understand why he didn't shorten the leash on Archibald to get these two engaged.

It's strange how with 11/7 Jay is very effective at getting all 11 engaged. If he decided early Brassard was a worry, just staple one guy to the bench and use your 11 forward method as it's pretty effective. Instead with 12 forwards last night, he shut down an entire line line to hide one guy, which is kind of funny since that one guy actually did well with Kassian and Foegele in their couple shifts together.

But ultimately, Jay needs to realize Archibald isn't helping Nuge at all, and stapling Kassian and Foegele to the bench so that Archibald gets his minutes with RNH isn't a path to victory unless the other lines do everything.

1652115563901.png

Last edited:

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Foegele and RNH were decent together to finish off the season. Don't know why they separated them for the playoffs. Just go with Foegele-RNH-Kassian for the third line next game.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
The effort is there, the results aren't. Saying he lacks finish is an understatement. Stone hands can't handle passes or make plays.

Incoming cap casualty.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Foegele - Nuge - Puljujarvi

Would help spread the wealth some more. Third line last night was not very good, at all.

Brassard and Archibald should be on the 4th line if they’re playing

Assuming this means Yamamoto/Kassian on the top line? Hyman and Kane have combined to play more mins thus far than McDavid and Draisaitl. Kane and McDavid work, give them someone to forecheck. Wouldn't mind seeing Kassian there but have a hard time seeing RNH working with Yamamoto so maybe you're onto something.

Draisaitl needs a boost and I'm not sure the solution. He's played well in the past with both McLeod and Puljujarvi. Doesn't seem to click with Hyman. Hyman has looked good to me with RNH. I'm not convinced McLeod should be in the top 6. I am convinced that Foegele can't be.

Kane - McDavid - Yamamoto
McLeod - Draisaitl - Puljujarvi
Hyman - RNH - Kassian
Foegele - Brassard - Archibald

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad