Player Discussion Warren Foegele

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If Holloway makes the team that makes it interesting for sure. I’d be pretty surprised if that happened though. Holland likes to slow play guys.

If Holland is ready, unless there is a cap related reason to send him down, IMO he plays with the big dogs and never looks back.

I also noticed from highlights he seems to play the RW and knows how to take a one timer on his off wing, I wouldn’t be against trying nuge-drai-foegele as a line

He could do the dirty work for Nuge and Drai and get rewarded with the odd one timer.

Not a snipper. I expect Foegele to play a north/south game, driving to the net, retrieving the puck, grinding the boards and battling in front of the net. Don't miscast the players. Let them play to their strengths. Even if he finds himself in the top six his job will remain the same.

Agreed, it's not like we will be forcing one timers to him 5x a game. If he can hit the odd one, that's a bonus that keeps the defense honest.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
If Holland is ready, unless there is a cap related reason to send him down, IMO he plays with the big dogs and never looks back.

He could do the dirty work for Nuge and Drai and get rewarded with the odd one timer.

Agreed, it's not like we will be forcing one timers to him 5x a game. If he can hit the odd one, that's a bonus that keeps the defense honest.
Re: Foegele.

He's good at getting in and retrieving pucks, has enough skill to play around McDavid and Draisaitl. Also seems good at finding open spots in coverage.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Will be interesting how Tippett utilizes his lines this year. Certainly see Foegele bringing intensity to the third line with Ryan and potentially Kassian. Wonder too in situational play at times if the coach runs the stack as McDavid, Draisaitl, and Puljujarvi. Moving Nugent Hopkins to centre with two aggressive puck hunting wingers in Hyman and Foegele.

Versatility can be a strength with higher quality top nine wing options. But do anticipate Tippett to anchor McDavid and Draisaitl to drive two balanced quality lines.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Nice to finally have someone who's the Foegele point on the 3rd line

id917932200

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Hyman-McDavid-Puljujarvi
RNH-Drai-Yam
Foegele-Ryan-Archibald/Kassian
Benson-McLeod-Marody

Scratches; Shore
Minors; Turris

Me likey the top 9.

Nurse-Barrie
Keith-Ceci
Lagesson-Bouchard

Scratch; Russell,

Goalies; Rotate all 3 Stalock, Koskinen, Smith

I also like that Foegele is a backup option if Hyman blows up in their face.
I'm sure Shore and Kassian will play over the kid line unless Woodcroft has a say.
Holland seems to have an overrule on Tippet about giving rookies and young players playing time. Its sure he wont be let starting with the AHL all star line.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Will be interesting how Tippett utilizes his lines this year. Certainly see Foegele bringing intensity to the third line with Ryan and potentially Kassian. Wonder too in situational play at times if the coach runs the stack as McDavid, Draisaitl, and Puljujarvi. Moving Nugent Hopkins to centre with two aggressive puck hunting wingers in Hyman and Foegele.

Versatility can be a strength with higher quality top nine wing options. But do anticipate Tippett to anchor McDavid and Draisaitl to drive two balanced quality lines.

yeah I think the blender has lots of pretty interesting combinations this season. Hopefully Tippett can show some flexibility because the depth and possibilities are much greater.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I think the forward group as a whole is going to look significantly better this year with the additions of Hyman, Foegele, Ryan and potentially McLeod + Holloway (and maybe even Benson) full time. A lot of players who are big, fast, and skilled replacing players who are barely treading water to stay in the NHL should be very refreshing.

If Holloway is ready then you're adding 3 guys with an endless motor in Hyman, Foegele and Holloway, plus Ryan works his ass off as well. Going to be a much needed face lift.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The thing that I wonder about is how many of his points have come with Jordan Staal as his center? Unless he's on the top 2 lines, he won't have a center that good on his line. The good thing is that he seems to be able to create offense from hard work and determination around the goal.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
The thing that I wonder about is how many of his points have come with Jordan Staal as his center? Unless he's on the top 2 lines, he won't have a center that good on his line. The good thing is that he seems to be able to create offense from hard work and determination around the goal.

He's miles behind Staal, but the fact that Foegele worked well with a big body centre is one reason why I'm tempted to bring back Sheahan.

The other is how f***ed the bottom 6 centres are if Ryan and/or McLeod are injured long term. I don't want Turris or Shore at centre again beyond a game or two, and the only option in Bakersfield is a pro rookie in Holloway (who I do think could be Foelge's in 22/23 on a hyper physical third line)

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He's miles behind Staal, but the fact that Foegele worked well with a big body centre is one reason why I'm tempted to bring back Sheahan.

The other is how f***ed the bottom 6 centres are if Ryan and/or McLeod are injured long term. I don't want Turris or Shore at centre again beyond a game or two, and the only option in Bakersfield is a pro rookie in Holloway (who I do think could be Foelge's in 22/23 on a hyper physical third line)

I do wonder if it doesn't make more sense to play Foegele with Nuge and Drai. Drai is Staal on steroids.

Reactions: ujju2

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
This guy can play, stubborn Tipp just didn’t know how to use him.

Woody is gonna make him into a decent 12-15g, 30-35 pt 3rd liner for us

I'm not sure about that. Foegele started this year off gangbusters with Kassian on a crashing third line. Lack of forward depth and feeling this player had some latent offensive upside when acquired had Tippett trying Foegele in top six along side Draisaitl and also on McDavid lines. His inconsistency was exposed there. The Kane acquisition enabled moving Foegele to 3W where his finishing skills aren't relied upon and he is freed up to play a fast, puck hunting game. Part of a strong line centred by Nugent Hopkins and another smart hockey sense guy in Ryan is finally giving this team a quality top nine forward group.

He's a solid 3W when he keeps his work rate up and drives his puck hunting game into the tough areas of the ice.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
This is a player that I would look at trading away along with Kassian in the offseason. Doesn't PK, can't play in the top 6, isn't very physical in the bottom 6 and all for the low, low price of $2.75 million AAV. If we shed him and Kassian we could open up around $4 million in cap when factoring in replacements for them.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Almost double the minus of our next minus player.

Yet another disastrous holland move and of course he signed him for three years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad