Player Discussion Warren Foegele

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
He's a...good...forechecking...guy.

That's all I got. Doesn't really contribute much of anything else. He's just kind of there.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
All aboard!!

tumblr_mh34m16oS91rfkogxo1_500.gif

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Very up and down streaky player currently on an up. I'll take it. but the same player had 4 questionable mths this season, not looking past that either. Hopefully we get this Foegele in the playoffs, and in anycase I've always been fine and supportive of the trade. I prefer a forechecking forward that can pot some goals to what Bear was bringing here. Russel is better than Bear any day of the week anyway. Bear was replaceable.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
<assuming that's a Simpsons reference>
You were supposed to tell us why he's a good player without using the letter 'e'!
It was Simpsons, but I was thinking more of the time Bart referred to Skinner as the non giving up...school...guy.

In all fairness, nice to see Foegele contributing a little more offensively.

Reactions: McDoused

InTheBox

Feb 7, 2021
He may not have the best hands, and is a little out of control at times, but he works hard every game. I can't remember a game where I thought he was lazy. He's the kind of player we need in our bottom 6.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
He may not have the best hands, and is a little out of control at times, but he works hard every game. I can't remember a game where I thought he was lazy. He's the kind of player we need in our bottom 6.
Agreed hes a perfect bottom 6 guy. I think he was burned by a couple dumb penalties against earlier this year but seems to have figured it out under Woodcroft. I just wish he was 500k cheaper.

Reactions: InTheBox

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
He’s a bottom six guy who can bounce around the lineup and he doesn’t get caved all the time like pretty much every bottom six forward we have had in the past ten years. And he came for Bear, who doesn’t exactly move Carolina’s needle. Not sure what people here want.

sandhu111

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton, AB
Honestly this trade is a win in my eyes. I was a Bear fan so I keep tabs on him whether stats or talking to Carolina fans.
They are not very happy with him. Many don't have them in their healthy lineup. He's like 0g 0a -5 in his last 6 games. Not moving the needle in anyway for them.

Reactions: Macheteops

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
My main concern with this player is this. That he doesn't work hard every game. He hasn't worked hard here every month. All his counting numbers supports that view. The malaise of our bottomsix extended this season, and it shouldn't have, largely because players like Foegele were being outworked on ice, were not being sound positionally, and were basically not contributing. Foegele was substandard from November to March. Soon as he put on his workboots again he started seeing some results.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
He's been playing well for the last few weeks but you shouldn't be able to look at a veteran guy making $2.75M & say he'd be replaceable by a minor league call-up which is what was happening for months previous.

He was just a guy for months.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
He's been playing well for the last few weeks but you shouldn't be able to look at a veteran guy making $2.75M & say he'd be replaceable by a minor league call-up which is what was happening for months previous.

This just isn’t true…

Reactions: TB12

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
This just isn’t true…
FTR, I'm not talking about an actual rookie like Holloway getting his first shot in the show, I'm talking about a veteran who's played in the NHL & knows what they're doing like a Derek Roy.
I'm gonna go out on a limb & say the Oilers made that trade thinking Foegele signed @ $2.75M/year was going to be a crash & banger who could effectively play in the top 6 a la Hyman. It may still work out that way but so far has not.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This just isn’t true…
But it is. Foegele is one of a few vets that were brought in here, in name, Foegele, Ryan, Turris, that were supposed to be better options than walk on players of the nature of Shore, Sceviour, Perlini. That the latter hung around as long as they did is supporting evidence to how the vets didn't play well enough to lock up positions, and in a lot of games were not considerably better options.

By Foegele's own statements he said he needed more guidance, feedback, needed to be told what to do. Apparently he's getting that under the new coaching staff, and thats a good thing, but a veteran player should have more of a clue what he's doing out there than Foegele was showing much of the season. Trouble is Tippett was a sensible player. He played on good honest clubs that had a lot of players that played the right way and went onto become coaches. He's a student of the game. Foegele would be that type of player that is not an excellent student, but needs constant reminders. Woodcroft appears to be better handling that type of player than Tippett who probably presumed the player had more knowledge.

Foegele should be a player version of MacTavish. Its exactly the role he was brought in here to do. Unfortunately Foegele doesn't have the cerebral head for hockey that MacT had. Foegele does have some skill and moves to be able to bring the puck into positions where he could score more regularly. he doesn't have finishing mitts in traffic situations but can pot a clean goal here and there. Can be a good player but needs to be consistent and persistently pushed. Its not by accident that as players come in here like Archibald and Brassard that Foegele is playing better. he has to. Competition for spots got stiffer. Foegele is still that player a coach has to watch very closely and reign in. He isn't self directing.

Reactions: PostBradMalone

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
But it is. Foegele is one of a few vets that were brought in here, in name, Foegele, Ryan, Turris, that were supposed to be better options than walk on players of the nature of Shore, Sceviour, Perlini. That the latter hung around as long as they did is supporting evidence to how the vets didn't play well enough to lock up positions, and in a lot of games were not considerably better options.

By Foegele's own statements he said he needed more guidance, feedback, needed to be told what to do. Apparently he's getting that under the new coaching staff, and thats a good thing, but a veteran player should have more of a clue what he's doing out there than Foegele was showing much of the season. Trouble is Tippett was a sensible player. He played on good honest clubs that had a lot of players that played the right way and went onto become coaches. He's a student of the game. Foegele would be that type of player that is not an excellent student, but needs constant reminders. Woodcroft appears to be better handling that type of player than Tippett who probably presumed the player had more knowledge.

Foegele should be a player version of MacTavish. Its exactly the role he was brought in here to do. Unfortunately Foegele doesn't have the cerebral head for hockey that MacT had. Foegele does have some skill and moves to be able to bring the puck into positions where he could score more regularly. he doesn't have finishing mitts in traffic situations but can pot a clean goal here and there. Can be a good player but needs to be consistent and persistently pushed. Its not by accident that as players come in here like Archibald and Brassard that Foegele is playing better. he has to. Competition for spots got stiffer. Foegele is still that player a coach has to watch very closely and reign in. He isn't self directing.
Nope.

Last edited:
Reactions: Senor Catface

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

I think this is fair and likely true in that he is a player that likes to be given more direction. Ryan also had some pointed comments about the manner of coaching direction towards players yet he’s definitely a cerebral player. I wonder if Derek Ryan’s comments were more due to frustration in his usage (likely) and how players that needed more direction, like Foegele(?) weren’t getting the direction needed which made Ryan’s job in his very very limited minutes next to impossible

One thing I’ll say about Foegele and his contract is that his lowest point was abysmal, but the whole team was in a funk at the time and in general, players being paid what he is are being paid because they are inconsistent (offense) and are expected to produce at a bottom 6 level (as he has).

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Pretty much as advertised. A highly streaky player with a raw skill set that looks like he should be a 20 goal scorer but hands and brain often can't keep up to those great wheels. Generally very poor with the puck. Strength is a solid defensive, responsible game that slots well as a 3W or 4W. Yet on a team with +29 goal share, the question is how is this player who averages sub 15 min toi a team worst -10?

Thought there would be more physicality judging by his first few games. In clear view now Foegele is a decent bottom six utility guy who can net 12-18 goals with size and speed to impose himself on other teams. Challenge is the consistency of motor and intent to do so.

I hope for hot Foegele for the stretch and playoffs. He has the raw tools to be a solid bottom six ice tilter. But hasn't shown the willingness to drive it with consistency (as advertised).

Reactions: Drivesaitl

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Love Foegele. Huge fan of his game. Brings size, effort, and energy all the time. His skills are fine, but can fail him at times. If he worked on his stick handling all off season I could see him breaking out in a huge way.

Reactions: OilynutEsquire

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Love Foegele. Huge fan of his game. Brings size, effort, and energy all the time. His skills are fine, but can fail him at times. If he worked on his stick handling all off season I could see him breaking out in a huge way.
He's a 26 year old player. Fully formed pro not an early 20's guy with more development runway. The Oil saw the latent raw elements in his game which tease that there might be more with this player, that hope of a 2W/top six player in a new home. Consistency is the difference between okay and good players. Foegele shows short streaks of very good play that promise more of a guy with great raw tools. But the game eventually regresses back to inconsistency.

Short bursts can be a pretty compelling support player. But the game regresses to one that's just okay wishing a player like Yamamoto (mind and grit) who gets everything out of his limitations could be transplanted into Foegele's compelling frame.

If hot at the right time Foegele can be a solid support player. Not an X factor to tilt a series but a solid bottom six support guy who can saw off opposition bottoms.

Reactions: TheNumber4

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

I disagree. Even when he wasn't producing, his motor never quit and he was being a decent energy guy. Doing things that AHLers can't do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad