Player Discussion Warren Foegele

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
I didn’t know he was already training with McDavid before the trade. Connor making moves for us to give him some depth up front.

I really like the way our forward core is shaping up, I don’t even know the last time our depth was this good up front. Best in the McDavid era for sure.

Training with Gary Roberts I think? McDavid is basically our pro scout, part of why we traded Lucic for Neal was McDavids relation with Neal through Gary Roberts training program.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
After the puke that was Keith Holland has done a fairly good job in filling out the forwards--if Holloway can make his way up(maybe to the third line) by the beginning of February the only place left to fill would be a bit better than medium quality sniper with a bit of two way about him.
Yamo might lose 50 percent of his time on the second line to Foegele.

The problem on the defense is pretty big....unless 1) Ceci is much better defensively than last seen and 2) Bouchard is sheltered and they work on his defensive structure all year ...cause i think he can become very good both ways. Barrie is what he is.....one way ....undependable in his own zone.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
It's also infectious through the lineup. Archibald plays with some reckless abandon. Kassian has in the past (recent and distant) and I can see guys like Yamamoto and JP following.

I remember this team in 2017 they had a swagger with the big bodies and found everyone through the lineup played with that swagger.
JP was finally starting to use his body last year, if he can build on that he’s going to be a force.

Adding more functional toughness like foegele is a good thing.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I must admit that after years and years of seeing guys giving inconsistent efforts that it is a breath of fresh air to see Holland targeting players like Foegele, Hyman and Archibald as well as Holloway at the draft. With some luck, Kassian should come along. If not, it won't be for a lack of these other guys trying to drag him into battle.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I must admit that after years and years of seeing guys giving inconsistent efforts that it is a breath of fresh air to see Holland targeting players like Foegele, Hyman and Archibald as well as Holloway at the draft. With some luck, Kassian should come along. If not, it won't be for a lack of these other guys trying to drag him into battle.
Kassian might be more inclined to play that style of game if he see's he has teammates willing to go to war with him rather than stand at the bus stop.

Like the cap hit for Foegele.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Kassian might be more inclined to play that style of game if he see's he has teammates willing to go to war with him rather than stand at the bus stop.

Let's hope so. While these guys are gritty, none of them are considered fighters. Kass is our designated scrapper because Nurse is too valuable and Khaira is gone now. I wouldn't mind another guy that can drop the mitts to round out our roster.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Let's hope so. While these guys are gritty, none of them are considered fighters. Kass is our designated scrapper because Nurse is too valuable and Khaira is gone now. I wouldn't mind another guy that can drop the mitts to round out our roster.
Any ideas on who's left that can play a regular shift and still drop the gloves?

In free agency that is.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yeah, plus hopefully having the crowd back will energize Kass.

And if not, it can no longer be used as an excuse (not having fans in the crowd to amp him up).

Any ideas on who's left that can play a regular shift and still drop the gloves?

In free agency that is.

Chara on the blue line, let me see who else...

For forwards:
Andy Andreoff
Michael Haley
Zac Rinaldo
Max McCormick (I assume based on PIM totals)

For Defensemen:
Chara
Gudbranson (could he play 3LD in spite of being a righty?
Jordie Benn

Last edited:

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I'd put Yamo in there too. At worst I see him as a third line energy guy very similar to Archie only lacking any size.

I like this deal. We're gonna be a lot tougher to play against from top to bottom.

Reactions: Oilhawks

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Kenny H

id917932200

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I like that it’s for more than one year. Good chance this guy scores 15-20 next year and probably more the next with the center talent he’ll be playing with.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Don't think Kenny is looking past 3 years at this point.. Ceci and now Foegele.. Hyman and Nuge with extra long terms to maximize quality for next 3 yrs.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

This 100%

When he was at his best, he also had grittier players helping with the dirty work.

Reactions: CanmoreMike

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
I believe holland said in his presser that the hurricanes GM was once his assistant GM or something?

I will say its nice to have a GM that is respected and well known. Complete contrast to chia who basically cost us Dougie Hamilton and no one likes him.

In all honesty I blame Boston Bruins, Don Sweeney and Cam Neely for that more than Chiarelli.

The Oilers offer was already slightly better than the Flames. Not by much but still better.

The Bruins could have negotiated so that the 2nd we already owed them would be subject to their choosing when and it would've added even more value to the deal.

They wanted Nurse and Chiarelli said no. In that moment they were idiots and screwed themselves.

Reactions: ujju2

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Just a reminder that this is the Warren Foegele player discussion thread. If you want to talk about the trade there is a thread for that here.

I think the issue may be the poll question on this thread is leading to the trade discussion. May be better to have the poll on the trade thread.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Great cap hit. Nice to see we're keeping the new guy for a while, the excitement of having Warren is mutual, right off the bat!

CravenMH

Aug 6, 2020
And if not, it can no longer be used as an excuse (not having fans in the crowd to amp him up).

Chara on the blue line, let me see who else...

For forwards:
Andy Andreoff
Michael Haley
Zac Rinaldo
Max McCormick (I assume based on PIM totals)

For Defensemen:
Chara
Gudbranson (could he play 3LD in spite of being a righty?
Jordie Benn
Did Nick Ritchie get picked up? If not, he'd be a good one also.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad