Speculation: War and Peace Chapter 9: The Nylander Saga Continued

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
Thank you. Can you post this tweet as a reply, everytime TWS posts his nonsense about a bridge deal?
Do what I did. Just ignore the idiot. We all know he’s a loser with no life judging by his post count lmao. This site main mods have it in for leafs fans imo and will let him get away with anything. Trust me ignore and laugh at him is the best remedy for petty losers like that.

Oh and Go leafs go

Reactions: Liminality

Atrusai

Oct 9, 2017
Breaking News: Dubas is offering extra incentive for Nylander to take a discount.

TMN.png

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
If Nylander holds out into the season, it won’t be long before the difference in his contract demands is eaten up in games lost.

Correct?

If the first year of the contract is all salary sure, but they could make the first year all signing bonus except league minimum salary and Nylander holding out until December then would only cost him about 200k.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Could you make this into more of a 12 Days of Christmas song?

On the first day of Christmas my true GM gave to me:
a hockey player full of greed.

On the 12th day of the season Kyle Dubas gave to me
12 team no trade clause
11 game winning goals
10 penalty minutes
9 HF threads
8 playoff points
7 year contract
6 million dollars
5 power play goals
4 2 goal games
3 NHL seasons
2 61 point seasons
and a William Nylander contract

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
willy be like dam im playing with a even better matthews, im better now, and now even have marleau who still got it...our PP is loaded, even the 2nd unit...dam i can put up near ppg this year, just like marner and matthews, he just doesnt want to be paid too far away from them both and imo he shouldnt be willy is so talented too

Reactions: saffronleaf

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
I read some where earlier today that the deal is almost done, and he will play season opener, 6 years x 6.5 I can't remeber the sources right now but it was said by 2 people .

They are just working out the fine details

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Awesome! Glad you're in the spirit!

William was absent minded and lost in thought, as he was wont to do in the off season.

Though his presence had helped to lift the hapless Leafs to a level of respectability not seen in his lifetime, he understood that he alone wasn't solely responsible for the turnaround; his comrade and confidant Auston Matthews, who had defected from Switzerland two years earlier to much fanfare, had played a crucial role and given the team greater tactical options up the middle. Mitchell Marner, who was something of a prodigy in the Ontario leagues and carried with him always an infectious attitude that kept spirits light, was also instrumental in the turnaround of the once moribund team's fortunes.

But it was in the months past, that the Leafs added the largest and most controversial piece; John Tavares - who had chosen to leave his battalion with the Islanders and join the Leafs. No doubt a wily and experienced veteran of many battles, boasting a mind with a deep understanding of War, however his past reputation and success in battles ensured that he commanded a significant cap hit, which some believed had caused a degree of consternation within William's camp, though this was hardly the case.

William Mikhailovich was thus torn between two poles; 'how much money does one man need to be happy?', he would often wonder to himself - even his entry level deal kept him in a level of comfort that went far beyond that of the layman, it was what he worked all his life for and it was by right his...young William knew that in the coming seasons that Matthews and Marner would also require increases in salary, and was vehemently opposed to the notion of being given less than he was worth, and nor would he deny secretly salivating when he saw what the Oilers gave Leon Draisaitl a few years back as well.

He strode forward, the mist rising from the ground at his feet, giving him an appearance of walking through the clouds as if beside the gods themselves. Though eager to rejoin his comrades in these most crucial battles, he had much to consider in the coming days.

Last edited:

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
Sign him to any contract, don't care about length. Pad his stats as much as possible then trade him for some pieces/picks that will allow us to surround the centers with winger depth.

After Tavaras, Nylander is a luxery we can't afford. He's just like daddy, difficult, soft, perimeter, skilled, good player, great potential, perfect hair in Instagram posts on the boat or wherever, but I choose Marner over him.

Reactions: Optomist

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Do you think the Sharks and Leafs could do a deal involving Nylander for Braun? Obviously, the Sharks would have to add, but on the surface, it doesn't look like it would work since

1) Both teams are competing and I am guessing TML has little interest in prospects
2) Sharks don't have many first-round picks which TML could at least more for roster players laters

Something like Braun + Donskoi + Merkley for Nylander?

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
You hush your mouth.....

Exactly Willy can listen to all these ABBA hits:

1 Marner Mia (here we go again, my my how can we resist u)
2. Dancing spleen (ode to Hyman)
3.Gimme gimme Gimme/Money Money Money ( the willy mix mashup)
4 Willyloo
5 The William takes it all
6 Flamingo (can you hear the double flamingo (fernando)

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009

4 Willyloo

There was something in the puck that night...Stevie shot it I said 'f*** that shyte!', flamingo!

Last edited:
Reactions: ZEBROA

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
6 x 6.5 would be fair imo. It's around comparable contracts cap hit and length. Maybe getting those extra 2 years for the max contract is just too pricey and where the sticking point is.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario

4 Willyloo
Willy thread, here I go again
My my, how can I resist you?
Willy thread, does it show again?
My my, just how much I've missed you
Yes, I've been brokenhearted
Blue since the day we parted
Why, why did I ever let you go?
Willy thread, now I really know,
My my, I could never let you go.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Here's the answer:

Bridge Nylander and Lock up Marner

If you can, bridge Nylander at 2-3yearsx$5M and lock up Marner at 8x$8.5-$9M.

You're saving likely $1.5M next year when every penny counts.

But best of all - You're capping Nylander at $8.5M in the future and likely less. To the extent Marner outperforms Nylander is the extent that Marner should be paid more than Nylander. The number is already locked, so basically the better Marner does over Nylander, the less Nylander is making.

So if in 3 years, Marner is putting up 90-100+ pts and Nylander 70-80+ pts, the reflective value of Nylander's contract compared to Marner's $8.5-$9M would be more in the low $7M range.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

4 Willyloo

Good job..... you have a lot to work with when you are parabling the greatest group in the history of man.

Reactions: ZEBROA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad