Speculation: War and Peace Chapter 9: The Nylander Saga Continued

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knightnight

Mar 18, 2014
It's likely that he actually did receive a $13M offer from San Jose. He took less to come here, plain and simple.

Now nobody's expecting Willy to leave that much on the table, but $6.25M can't be that bad given your comparable.

Do you think that the San Jose offer was structured the way the Leafs offer? That Tavares contract is 12m just like McDavids is more like 13.5. When its front loaded, lock out protected and all bonus its way more than 11M.

Knightnight

Mar 18, 2014
its amazing how little a guy who played within and gets paid to talk about the business of hockey knows about the business of hockey. Really wish we would stop endowing ex players with media positions if they're not good at it

Interesting what part of this clip is wrong?

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Chicago’s problem wasn’t Kane’s contract. It was Toews not living up to his, and Seabrook not living up to his. And even after that they still were a good team for the two years after they signed those deals, just couldn’t get it done in the playoffs.
Precisely.

Which is why it’s so dangerous to give Nylander a contract based on what he hopes to become and not what he’s proven he is.

Reactions: Confucius

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
Once Nylander signs and starts playing everything will be back to normal.....no distractions....
But when will he sign?
Will; he miss 5 games, 10 games, or go all the way to Dec 1 ?

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
All the doomsday predictions in here seem like a bit much. Without Nylander we are not the deepest offensive team in the league. Based on everything we've seen from Gross in the past, and Dubas' comments, Nylander will eventually sign for fair to below market value and we'll all move on. I'm a little surprised he's more than likely going to miss opening night, but hopefully that will drive home the point that he doesn't get paid until he signs. I'm not concerned.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Interesting what part of this clip is wrong?
the part where Kypreos is talking - negotiating in the media, the idea that there's only two possible outcomes ($6M with the Leafs or $8M elsewhere), and the idea that another team will be willing to overpay by 25% (in contrast to his entire body of comparable players, except for Draisatl that is clearly better than Nylander by results) just because they don't have as many expensive players while also losing the assets it would cost to acquire a 22yo $6-$8M player

also, "if he scores 30-35 goals he's a $9M player" makes me think that Kypreos does not have any bearing on what players are worth, Kucherov just had 39 goals and got $9.5M but he also had 61 assists to go along with the goals

Reactions: Faltorvo

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
I think im at the point of being okay with trading him now. Get a top 4 defenceman for him and sign up marner/matthews now. No more patience bullcrap that dubas was preaching.

Reactions: Faltorvo

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Agreed, there are a lot of teams that would take him even at 8.

Great Post and totally agree. Nylander needs to be traded, the sooner the better.

a lot of teams would take him at 8m per long term???

ok, please name some

i am very curious to see what those teams could offer as trade bait (not asking you to list possible trades) i can look at that myself.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
a lot of teams would take him at 8m per long term???

ok, please name some

i am very curious to see what those teams could offer as trade bait (not asking you to list possible trades) i can look at that myself.
There is no team that would trade for him and then pay him 8m. That simply is wishful thinking. Perhaps 7.0 if they traded for him.

Nylander is a 60 point player right now playing with a ppg player. I like his chances to get 70 points with an adjustment in his shot selection he could score more but he shoots high glove almost always goalies know that and play him to shot there.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
the suggestion to negotiate in the media and interpretation that there are only those two options are absurd, and there's no reason that another team would give Nylander 8M when his multiple comparables (Ehlers, Larkin, Pastrnak) have all been in the same low-to-mid $6M range, that establishes a pattern of behavior from multiple teams that is likely to form the precedent for Nylander's deal.

I'm of the opinion that you let him sit at home until he's ready to sign for his market value, the Leafs have all the leverage unless someone in the KHL/SHL is willing to give him in the realm of the same money that he would make here

Viktor Arvidsson on july 22 2017 inked a 7 y x 4.25m per contract

VAs 2016/17 season, the season that EARNED him that contract
31 goals +30 assists =61p only 9 of those being PP points

Reactions: Randy Randerson

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Hey Eb you are on record saying he'd sign in August, not looking so good for you. Whats going on with this guy Eb
Did I? Was that that poll? I don't recall.

Nothing is going on with Nylander. Ask his agent, Gross. I'm not at all worried, are you? I kind of welcome the added cap space in future years the longer he sits out.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011

Nothing is going on with Nylander. Ask his agent, Gross. I'm not at all worried, are you? I kind of welcome the added cap space in future years the longer he sits out.
Eb gotta be hard with this guy, even if he agrees today don't sign it for a week to knock off a few bucks in his wallet. Any way you look at it, hes in the 6 hole in terms of team importance, maybe even the 7th. Can't give in now Eb.

Auston Powers

May 16, 2016
Toronto

Me too!!! I'm ok to wait till Dec 1 :)

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Do you think that the San Jose offer was structured the way the Leafs offer? That Tavares contract is 12m just like McDavids is more like 13.5. When its front loaded, lock out protected and all bonus its way more than 11M.

actually yes i do

IIRC that was already said by leafs brass

the reason they had to do xxxxxxx in our contract is because the other offers also had that in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad