Speculation: War and Peace Chapter 9: The Nylander Saga Continued

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
I love nylander but he needs to get it out of his head he’s on marners level. Someone put it in his head that he’s worth as much as marner and that’s false.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I just got the sudden feeling Nylander is going to sign soon.

I don’t know, but it just came over me and I thought I’d pass it along :laugh:
Hopefully your intuition is on the ball!

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Probably not a big enough gain to make this tactic worth it, but signing Nylander in season has cap savings in years 2+

These numbers become even better if you maximize the breakdown in your favour. For example a 6.5 million 7 year contract signed on Dec 1st with the following breakdown:

10.8, 7.7, 5.4, 5.4, 5.4, 5.4, 5.4 = 45.5/7 = 6.5

Has a 6.01 and change cap hit in the final 6 seasons, and a 8.80 and change cap hit in the first year. Which is about 200k better than the numbers CapFriendly gives on an even distribution contract of 7x6.5.

I doubt the Leafs or anyone else would intentionally wait into the season to use this to their advantage. But it's a decent side affect to the situation and 1 more thing in the Leafs favour where they're ok if it doesn't get done right away.

Last edited:

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I think Dubas should look for trading partners, see if they have a really good asset to offer (a #1 D
He is.

Didn't you hear his quote ?

I'm taking calls about Nylander but we aren't trading him.

GM speak: If your team needs more goals, Will Nye might work well in your team but you'll have to outbid others.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
Cliff Notes from past 8 threads:
  • Nylander is greedy
  • It is his agent who is a pos
  • Hockey Insiders are a joke
  • Dubas is low-balling him
  • Like father (Michael Nylander) like son
  • Trade him for a D
  • Nylander is replacable
  • Nylander is not replaceable
  • HF-Posters also have hockey insiders of their own and they "hear" a lot of things
  • Nylander haters hating
  • Nylander lovers loving

Let's try to say all those same things over again in this thread (with no new info) !

Reactions: Volcanologist

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Gross has told Nylander to be patient and take the best deal available on October 2.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
Thank you. Can you post this tweet as a reply, everytime TWS posts his nonsense about a bridge deal?

Makes sense and will happen are different things.

Term is a good idea at a reasonable price.

The other way of looking at it is if The Big 3 need to be signed to term put you could only sign 2 now that Tavares is here, who's the odd man out ?

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Makes sense and will happen are different things.

Term is a good idea at a reasonable price.

The other way of looking at it is if The Big 3 need to be signed to term put you could only sign 2 now that Tavares is here, who's the odd man out ?
No one is the odd man out. All the armchair GMs here can crunch their numbers all they want, but Dubas, Pridham and Gilman have said keeping them all will not be a problem. The aren't going to lie to Tavares in the meeting saying that and Dubas has said it a number of times since. Dubas, Pridham and Gilman are privy to all of the information and have spoken to the reps of Matthews and Marner also and know where they stand. All 3 will be here long term.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
I'm loving these thread titles.

"William Mikhailovich departed quickly for the salon of Kyle Dubas; known far and wide throughout Toronto as the city's most prominent place where the issues that face the intelligentsia of the Toronto Maple Leafs (whether they pertained directly to them or not) were most fiercely debated and defended.

A light dusting of snow that had fallen at dawn had long since melted, giving the ground a softness of texture and the air a rich, earthy aroma. As such, William sought to stay on the street path, lest he want any moisture to seep into his suede boots; desert brown, which so perfectly contrasted his black slacks and fair white complexion, blue eyes that at times beckoned and at others judged. He strode on languidly in the direction of the salon, taking in the sights and sounds of the city.

He knew that his commander, General Babcock would be there - a stoic, ubflabbable man (in the same manner as so often seen in the Canadian prairies), tactics to combat the Bruins and Lightning would no doubt be traded and evaluated - while the hapless Sens and Habs regiments would pose little challenge, William's good friend Auston had previously expressed some reservations about the potential for an upheaval amongst the upstart Sabres..."

Last edited:

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Cliff Notes from past 8 threads:

• Nylander is greedy
  • It is his agent who is a pos
  • Hockey Insiders are a joke
  • Dubas is low-balling him
  • Like father (Michael Nylander) like son
  • Trade him for a D
  • Nylander is replacable
  • Nylander is not replaceable
  • HF-Posters also have hockey insiders of their own and they "hear" a lot of things
  • Nylander haters hating
  • Nylander lovers loving

and continue........

(did I miss anything else)?
Could you make this into more of a 12 Days of Christmas song?

On the first day of Christmas my true GM gave to me:
a hockey player full of greed.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
If Nylander holds out into the season, it won’t be long before the difference in his contract demands is eaten up in games lost.

Correct?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I just want them to sign a deal so that TSN and Sportsnet find a new topic to obsess over.
Sit back and let them obsess is what I say.

The Leafs are getting all the right kinds of attention nowadays.

This is a massive upgrade over debating if Bozak/Kadri are viable for top-6 centers.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
You know what I just realized, guess who else has Lewis Gross for an agent...
Rasmus Sandin

Hopefully we don't have a similar scenario with him down the road. Gross seems to like to have his clients hold out.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I'm loving these thread titles.

"William Mikhailovich departed quickly for the salon of Kyle Dubas; known far and wide throughout Toronto as the city's most prominent place where the issues that face the intelligentsia of the Toronto Maple Leafs (whether they pertained directly to them or not) were most fiercely debated and defended.

A light dusting of snow that had fallen at dawn had long since melted, giving the ground a softness of texture and the air a rich, earthy aroma. As such, William sought to stay on the street path, lest he want any moisture of seep into his suede boots; desert brown, which so perfectly contrasted his black slacks and fair white complexion, blue eyes that at times beckoned and at others judged. He strode on languidly in the direction of the salon, taking in the sights and sounds of the city.

He knew that his commander, General Babcock would be there - a stoic, ubflabbable man (in the same manner as so often seen in the Canadian prairies), tactics to combat the Bruins and Lightning would no doubt be traded and evaluated - while the hapless Sens and Habs regiments would pose little challenge, William's good friend Auston had previously expressed some reservations about the potential for an upheaval amongst the upstart Sabres..."
Awesome! Glad you're in the spirit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad