Speculation: War and Peace Chapter 9: The Nylander Saga Continued

Status
Not open for further replies.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Nylander is going to sit the first game of the season, in hopes that Dubas freaks out and sings a bad contract

That would be a bad strategy, because it will cost Willy actual money. This whole thing is about money.
The leafs can handle missing him a few games, they can pretend he's injured. They manged 20 games without Matthews last year. So I doubt losing Nylander for the first game would result in a freak-out and signing a bad contract.

At this point, unless the Leafs go 2-8 in their first 10, Nylander can sit out as many games as he wants.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Nylander is going to sit the first game of the season, in hopes that Dubas freaks out and signs a bad contract

If he sits out, that's his prerogative, but it won't put any pressure on Dubas. It's Nylander that will start missing paycheques.

Reactions: dsred

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I believe you notice the difference with Hyman not playing. He brings that sandpaper element to our lineup. He and Brown need to continue doing what they do best. Bang, dig and retrieve. Although I have to agree, I would love to see another winger like them in our top 9. Leivo should be that guy but I don't know if hes cut out to be it!!!!

I think once Nylander comes back there is going to need to be some trades to occur. Ennis will be put next to Kadri with Brown. But I think we may need to ship out some players to round out our team. Depending on how Johnsson and Kapanen fair on the 4th line one of them may become expendable for a D piece. And we may need to bring up someone like Grundstrum or Moore to play the wing in their place. Just not sure if that 4th line will work.

I hope that’s the plan. They need a punishing forward or two and a defenceman and they should have the assets to acquire them.
Don’t wait until the trade deadline either.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Why do people seem to care so much about what the silly sports networks talk about?

Because it fuels the outside toronto noise that leafs fans run players out of town and don’t have patience. The toronto market being tough narrative that the 2 networks run is 100% the fault of those same 2 networks

Reactions: Menzinger

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Because it fuels the outside toronto noise that leafs fans run players out of town and don’t have patience. The toronto market being tough narrative that the 2 networks run is 100% the fault of those same 2 networks

Oh, please, if Leaf fans have a reputation for being tough on players, it’s because Leaf fans are tough on players. Look at the childishness that constantly pops up on these boards, for example, in the Nylander thread. Or do you share the opinion that I’ve seen elsewhere on these boards that the media manipulates the fans into being mean?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Oh, please, if Leaf fans have a reputation for being tough on players, it’s because Leaf fans are tough on players. Look at the childishness that constantly pops up on these boards, for example, in the Nylander thread. Or do you share the opinion that I’ve seen elsewhere on these boards that the media manipulates the fans into being mean?

ive never seen someone suggest the media makes the fanbase "mean ". the media perpetuates an out of date stereotype that leaf fans make it hard for players in Toronto, they go on and on about how you get stopped on the street all the time and get no privacy. Yet if that were true you'd think people would know where all these players lived and go out not many do.

Tough on players? that isn't what they talk about when its a tough market they talk about the hounding on off days, autograph seekers and the running of players out of town. Being tough on a player isn't what they are talking about in the on ice sense they meen 24/7 you players aren't left alone it isn't true

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
That would be a bad strategy, because it will cost Willy actual money. This whole thing is about money.
The leafs can handle missing him a few games, they can pretend he's injured. They manged 20 games without Matthews last year. So I doubt losing Nylander for the first game would result in a freak-out and signing a bad contract.

At this point, unless the Leafs go 2-8 in their first 10, Nylander can sit out as many games as he wants.

If sitting out one game pressures Dubas to add an extra $200-500k then I think it would be worth it to sit one game. But what the hell do I know?

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
If sitting out one game pressures Dubas to add an extra $200-500k then I think it would be worth it to sit one game. But what the hell do I know?

But sitting out a game or two will add no pressure to Dubas. Why would he budge?

Reactions: dsred

member 262271

Why do people seem to care so much about what the silly sports networks talk about?
Absolute boredom I'd assume, I don't watch either network except during games and it's nice to just see a game and do something else during intermission.

wc17

Feb 22, 2009
Toronto
After Marner scores 100 points...can’t wait.

Would be nice to get the Nylander negotiation out of the way to see if Dubas and co. can pull off a deal with Marner by the start of the season. The fact that theyve had "productive discussions" is good I guess!

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Would be nice to get the Nylander negotiation out of the way to see if Dubas and co. can pull off a deal with Marner by the start of the season. The fact that theyve had "productive discussions" is good I guess!

nylander isn't stopping Marner from signing, in fact signing marner now to a reasonable contract would help nylander. But there is no way they are signing before the end of this season, marner will rack up points with JT and instead of $7M be looking at $9M. The only way marner signs now is if he is really going to take a hometown discount. In fact if he plays out the season without signing a contract you can pretty much throw the hometown discount thing out the window for marner

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Nope. Willy gets one year older and that’s it.

Or at least I think that’s what they said on LL a few days ago.

pretty sure he also gets one year closer to UFA ,too which doesn't help the leafs. I don't think we get an extra RFA year out of it

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Pierre LeBrun ran with the ball on this front, asked by James Duthie about potential vultures circling on the trade front if the Leafs aren’t able to reach a contract agreement with the Nylander camp.

“That’s begun to happen, as you might suspect,” indicated LeBrun. “Hey, why not if you’re another team watching this drag out. I’m told a couple of teams have phoned over the past seven days, and I’m told they got a uniform answer from Kyle Dubas, which is, ‘No thanks, we’re not trading him. We’re going to sign this guy.’ So for now, that’s not an avenue I don’t think at all.

“In the meantime, you’ve heard whispers from around the league - I think it’s people gossiping more than anything else - about the value of an offer sheet. Would a team be willing to do that to the Leafs and try and get Nylander on a one-year deal at say $8.1 million. The idea being that would be a difficult qualifying offer for the Leafs to absorb next year.

“Forget about it. The Leafs have a ton of cap room. They would match under any circumstance. And, in fact, I’m told the Nylander camp is not focused on that at all right now. They’re absolutely focused on trying to get a deal done with the Leafs.

“In fact, as Bob said about the dialogue continuing, I’m told that Kyle Dubas and the agent, Lewis Gross, had a conversation in the past 24 hours. That’s the focus, and the rest is all white noise at this point.”

Insider Trading: Leafs shutting down trade inquiries on Nylander

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009

Well... on a $6M contract, he'd lose about $75K per game. At that rate, it would take very long for Nylander's side to go upside down... even it he gets another $500K.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I can see the fans turning on Nylander. Sports talk radio in Toronto yesterday was talking about how players, much more impact players than Nylander, bought into what the team was selling and signed for much less than their fair market value, Crosby and Malkin were bout referenced.

If you weigh in the news stories out of Sweden about how the Nylander family has an entitled selfish air about them, Toronto sports radio floating stories about how other players compromised below their fair market value to make sure their teams were competitive. I wonder how long before this turns ugly?

I have no issues with Willie getting paid but not at the risk of us losing out on being a competitive team.

Reactions: NiftyMits
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad