AHL: W-B/S Penguins Thread (Cap Details + Links in First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Man, Guerin really isn't ready for this role. Botterill made it look easy but it's not. Sick of him bringing his Boston-area boys in. Plenty of better veterans were out there besides Hayes, O'Neill, Elliott (traded), etc
Bill Guerin isn't ready to run a McDonald's let alone an NHL team as a GM.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Bill Guerin isn't ready to run a McDonald's let alone an NHL team as a GM.

Why exactly is Guerin in such good graces with the org? I can understand moronical Recchi from OG days, but, Billy G? Just because of somewhat succesful season and a half as a rental?

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Why exactly is Guerin in such good graces with the org? I can understand moronical Recchi from OG days, but, Billy G? Just because of somewhat succesful season and a half as a rental?

I really don't get it either, it only makes sense if you think he asked for the role and they hired him for it. Because outside of that, it's weird but then again this team hiring old pals to roles they don't have a lot of experience in or are qualified for, is our M.O. Like the folically challenged Recchi you just mentioned, Bill Guerin before him, it's ridiculous.

I was mad at Tocchet being made Assistant Coach and that we lost out on Willie Desjardins as a coach (lol, man that was dumb of me), but then Tocchet came with a lot of experience and was a perfect compliment to Sullivan because he had experience as a Coach and Assistant Coach to draw upon. Rex doesn't even have that. Guerin has NONE of any of that let alone any management experience at any level of anything.

I really really hope some team poaches him from us. I seriously do. Seattle? Philly? Dallas?

Take this f***ing clown, please.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I don't believe Militec has dressed for some bit.
ETA: Scrolled back to check. Last dressed on Nov.30th.

DiPauli hasn't played since Dec.16th.

Both out with injuries.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
What was his injury?

Week-to-Week Upper-body Injury from an innocuous play along the boards. Take from that what you will. I'm running with a 'minor' dislocated shoulder since the timeframe for regular human recovery 6-18 weeks adds up well for an athlete who is stronger and has access to medicine us normies dont--he's been out within that window.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

He is said to be incredibly charming. That'll do it.

Reactions: EightyOne

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China

What exactly is the basis for so many people criticizing Guerin (or Recchi... or other assistant coaches/managers)? What kind of pull is it you think they have - and how are they showing themselves incapable?

I swear the same was the case with Tocchet... until the second he left, and people started missing him....

NB: I was with you assistant coach hating lot with Yeo and the powerless PP, but really....

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
What exactly is the basis for so many people criticizing Guerin (or Recchi... or other assistant coaches/managers)? What kind of pull is it you think they have - and how are they showing themselves incapable?

I swear the same was the case with Tocchet... until the second he left, and people started missing him....

NB: I was with you assistant coach hating lot with Yeo and the powerless PP, but really....

Ask the people who criticize the assistants in the organization what they actually do and you’ll find they have no clue.

Then you can disregard their opinion further because they are delusional amateurs.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Ask the people who criticize the assistants in the organization what they actually do and you’ll find they have no clue.

Then you can disregard their opinion further because they are delusional amateurs.

But....

What DO they do?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I kinda agree, but when it comes to WBS where Guerin is the man and has been for two seasons, I think you can start making cases of whether he's showing himself capable or not, what he believes in and so on. WBS declined a bit last season and look like they've declined a lot more this season; the free agents he's been signing don't really look like they've done anything to right the ship.

Maybe its a bit harsh to judge on two years where the talent levels available have mainly gone down but if he wants to change that, he needs to start doing it soon. His trades have been mildly quizzical too, although again the jury should be waiting.

Also... with guys like Guerin and Recchi, the question is also kinda how are they showing themselves capable? People like Tocchet, Martin... you've got a long track record to judge them on. Guerin? Three years as a player development coach and straight to the front office. That's one hell of a rise, its fair to ask what they're seeing in him. Recchi likewise got promoted after three years as a player development coach to a pretty important role.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Does Recchi run the power play? Cause that’s good.

Back to topic though, I don’t claim to know anything about Wilkes except that people are in love with Bleuger. Looking at the standings we are 12th. Not bad. Hershey Bears are 29th and the Markies are 18th.

Considered our lack of draft picks this is pretty decent all things considered no?

I thought Garrett Wilson did a good job when called up. Gave our fourth line an identity and drew some penalties.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Iirc, the last I heard, Sully ran that and openly admitted that by "ran the power play" he mainly meant "sat in the stands and watch three of the greatest offensive talents of their generation figure out how they'd destroy the opposition".

Back to topic though, I don’t claim to know anything about Wilkes except that people are in love with Bleuger. Looking at the standings we are 12th. Not bad. Hershey Bears are 29th and the Markies are 18th.

Considered our lack of draft picks this is pretty decent all things considered no?

I'll start answering that question by answering this one...

I thought Garrett Wilson did a good job when called up. Gave our fourth line an identity and drew some penalties.

I'm not so hot on Wilson as an NHLer, but there's no question he's been a productive AHLer. And, of course, he's not a draft pick, but an AHLer we picked up - and by we, I mean Botterill. Botterill brought in guys like Wilson, Haggerty and Ruhwedel who really helped the Baby Pens. Guerin? Uhm... Thomas? Czuczman? Decent players, but not in the same league impact wise.

A couple of seasons back, the Baby Pens finished first in the whole AHL. That team had... 7*, I think, Pens picks playing semi regularly (Sundqvist, Simon, Guentzel, Blugers, Archibald, Pouliot, Jarry). Well, 6 and a half really, because Guentzel only played half a season there. Picks don't necessarily make great AHL teams. Picking up the right free agents has a big impact.

Could Guerin have the team higher if he'd picked up better free agents? I don't know for sure but there's a legit question there. There's maybe another question on how comes we didn't really do much with college free agents this year.

I don't know enough to give definites. But what I do know raises questions.

*not counting guys who were originally drafted by the Pens but who left and were reacquired.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
I would agree that guerins signings and trades (especially that last one) seem suspect from afar.

Side note: if you were a career minor leaguer would the marlies be a good destination or bad? You’re living in an a-list city yet making b-list salary?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I would agree that guerins signings and trades (especially that last one) seem suspect from afar.

Side note: if you were a career minor leaguer would the marlies be a good destination or bad? You’re living in an a-list city yet making b-list salary?

That would depend on a lot of individual factors but I can see some guys preferring to avoid it due to that. But then again, plenty of people gravitate to big cities despite making the exact same salary they could make somewhere else, just because they like big cities.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

I'd give Donatelli the credit there for keeping the team competitive.
I'm not all that fond of Guerin's GM'ing in WB either. Will O'Neill was a horrible signing where probably simply watching him in L-Valley last season would've told you he sucks now.

I do know that Guerin could sell a FA on coming to Wilkes or signing with PIT well but in terms of actually selecting the targets to woo, i wouldn't let him do that.
Sorta like a great combo would be Botterill picking the players and Billy just being in the room/on the phone telling them how awesome it is and making them laugh.

Thats just my take on it, of course, from afar.

Southpaw123

Apr 9, 2017
I'd give Donatelli the credit there for keeping the team competitive.
I'm not all that fond of Guerin's GM'ing in WB either. Will O'Neill was a horrible signing where probably simply watching him in L-Valley last season would've told you he sucks now.

I do know that Guerin could sell a FA on coming to Wilkes or signing with PIT well but in terms of actually selecting the targets to woo, i wouldn't let him do that.
Sorta like a great combo would be Botterill picking the players and Billy just being in the room/on the phone telling them how awesome it is and making them laugh.

Thats just my take on it, of course, from afar.[/QUOT
Spot on analysis. At least O’Neil has been scratched the last couple of games-did I miss anything about an injury?!?!. Gotta give Donatelli credit for using more productive and hungry players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad