AHL: W-B/S Penguins Thread (Cap Details + Links in First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Ugh I'd hate for them to move. The drive really isn't terrible and I don't see where else itd make sense to have them.

Would not be a fan of moving them to Pittsburgh

Reactions: Dovahkiin

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Every article I’ve seen has made it sound like they drive themselves,

Yeah they drive themselves. When Grant was on waivers they told him to stay in Pittsburgh. Eventually they said go to WBS so he had to drive down and stay there. He was there for a day or two played 1 game then they told him to come back lol.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I wonder if they'd roll the dice and drag em to Pittsburgh proper.
That would be an interesting gamble. IMO, the Pens have priced themselves out of a decent chunk of the fan base. Combine them with students and such, and you might have a nice base for a team.

It would make for an interesting dynamic, especially during a rebuild, but I'm not sure I would take the risk. I think in the best case scenario it would be a lateral move right now.

WBS attendance has been steadily dropping for 15 years and is averaging about 5500 now.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins yearly attendance at hockeydb.com

Also, Wheeling was last in the league in attendance last season.
ECHL 2017-18 team attendance at hockeydb.com

Reactions: EightyOne

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
@Randy Butternubs @SHOOTANDSCORE that's exactly my issue with moving them here, or Erie or Youngstown or wherever. Those places already have teams. There isn't a lot to do in the WBS area to begin with, and the Pens seem like a solid part of the community there. The fans seem pretty passionate from the games I've been to and I'd be sickened to see the team stripped away. They have a great rivalry with Hershey, Binghamton is a short drive away..

Sure the attendance has decreased but that area in general has declined over the years. The team is one of the cool things it has going on for it.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
What about Morgantown?

I think they’ll stay in Wilkes-Barre though.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Hmmm, I think Morgantown would draw a good crowd most games. But, like mentioned, do they have a facility for it?
They don't but the coliseum is fairly old. WVU owns that town though so I doubt they'd want any competition. I imagine they'd be the key to a new arena getting built.

And if they really wanted high level hockey they'd probably just try and make their ACHA team NCAA

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
More than just us not having any other options for an affiliate location is which NHL team would want WB/S? Nearby cities like Philly & the NYC area teams already have affiliates and I doubt Las Vegas would want a team that’s a 6 hour flight away.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Hmmm, I think Morgantown would draw a good crowd most games. But, like mentioned, do they have a facility for it?
Morgantown having another sports team is kinda terrifying, actually. They're a little too fond of throwing rocks and burning things.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Team isn't moving. That guy is basing it off of a jersey rack and some yinzer making 10$ an hour. :laugh:

Right.

But there's still no contract for the Mohegan Sun Arena operations, nor is there a Penguins contract to play in the arena signed yet.

They've known the 10 year deal with the Pens was running out...for ten years. And officially the Pens ownership group has been negotiating a deal extension since March. That's a lot of months now.

There has been declining attendance for YEARS. AHL doesn't have to be a money-maker, but remember there were rumblings that Mario and the ownership group was shopping the whole thing just 3.5 years ago. I could see the owners not thrilled about losing money in W-B/S...if they are.

Those items are more indicative of possible issues than the jersey sales, no?

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Right.

But there's still no contract for the Mohegan Sun Arena operations, nor is there a Penguins contract to play in the arena signed yet.

They've known the 10 year deal with the Pens was running out...for ten years. And officially the Pens ownership group has been negotiating a deal extension since March. That's a lot of months now.

There has been declining attendance for YEARS. AHL doesn't have to be a money-maker, but remember there were rumblings that Mario and the ownership group was shopping the whole thing just 3.5 years ago. I could see the owners not thrilled about losing money in W-B/S...if they are.

From my extremely quick googling, AHL attendance in general has dipped over the past few years, and WBS is firmly in the middle of the pack among teams.

I just don't see how the grass would for sure be greener in another town

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
From all the great stories i hear from NHL players current and past, WBS seems like a really great a fun place for young and older players. Can't tell how many fun stories i've heard about when players like Malone, Orpik, Whitney, Sheary, S.Wilson, Rust, Bortuzzo, Letang, Bissonette. On the spittin chiclets podcast, Whitney and Biss and Orpik to on his guest spot, talk so fondly of WBS and coming up through there

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Right.

Yup. If I was involved with ownership, I'd be very hesitant to commit to WBS in a long term extension. The decline is too troubling to not at least have some significant out clauses.

steelcityassault

Sep 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
From all the great stories i hear from NHL players current and past, WBS seems like a really great a fun place for young and older players. Can't tell how many fun stories i've heard about when players like Malone, Orpik, Whitney, Sheary, S.Wilson, Rust, Bortuzzo, Letang, Bissonette. On the spittin chiclets podcast, Whitney and Biss and Orpik to on his guest spot, talk so fondly of WBS and coming up through there

Not to mention their practice facility is nicer than some NHL ones. Lot of players have said that

Reactions: Dovahkiin

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Was at the game tonight. 5-1 loss, the defenceman couldn't get shots on net to save their lives and the forwards do not have the talent to compensate for that. Also Peters was trash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad