Friedman: Voynov eligible to return Game 42 in 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
People also make “on purposes” too.

Kind of like what punching, kicking, choking and pushing someone’s face into a flat screen TV is. That is an “on purpose”.

A mistake is when you have good intentions but do the wrong thing.

Glad I could clear the air on this subject.

You don’t know the whole story so stop acting like you do.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
All things considered it is . He comes from Russia and their culture is different . It about 50 years behind when it comes to human rights . It’s like it was here in the 50s and 60s . Women got hit all the time just like kids did . Make no mistake it is terrible and wrong . But if you only grew up knowing a certain way base on your upbringing it’s not your fault . You think little kids in the Middle East grow up wanting to be a terrorist . No they learn from the people around them .

WTF is this horse****?

Defending a domestic abuser wasn't enough?

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
No matter what one thinks of Voynov, I find it amusing that when people say they don't like him, some goofs come up with responses like "you've done mistakes as well, you're no saint either".

Maybe I've gotten a few parking tickets in my life, that doesn't necessarily mean I cannot point out that beating your wife is wrong.

You people are quite funny, I want you to know that.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
No matter what one thinks of Voynov, I find it amusing that when people say they don't like him, some goofs come up with responses like "you've done mistakes as well, you're no saint either".

Maybe I've gotten a few parking tickets in my life, that doesn't necessarily mean I cannot point out that beating your wife is wrong.

You people are quite funny, I want you to know that.

Beating your wife is wrong. He should just be killed. Amirite?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
People also make “on purposes” too.

Kind of like what punching, kicking, choking and pushing someone’s face into a flat screen TV is. That is an “on purpose”.

A mistake is when you have good intentions but do the wrong thing.

Glad I could clear the air on this subject.

People tend to learn from mistakes and don’t repeat them. Voynov didn’t just snap one day and decide to do this. Violent men are violent for a long time and they build up to this point, they are emotionally and verbally abusive long before they start hitting. And the first hit isn’t smashing her head into a TV multiple times, he’s more than likely grabbed her arm and threatened her, he’s smacked her, he’s pushed her against a wall and warned her. Then there’s the sexual abuse too. Weeks and weeks of this and scaring her to death. The people who are labeling this a “mistake” are themselves sadly mistaken.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
More people die from drunk drivers than domestic assaults. Much much more.
Drinking and driving is an idiotic and selfish thing to do. No doubt about it. As is texting and driving. Both are dangerous, and can lead to catastrophic outcomes, but be weary of comparing these two crimes. They're not at all alike. One can be attributed to an idiotic mistake while the other is a much deeper and vindictive crime.

That being said, I'm also of the mindset that people deserve a chance for redemption, but it's hard to have that line of thinking sometimes.

Last edited:

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
National Hockey League forward Dany Heatley on Friday pleaded guilty to four of six charges in the vehicular homicide case against him and was sentenced to three years probation.

Craig MacTavish played in the NHL for the Boston Bruins and now enjoys a post-playing career as a hockey coach. But between playing and coaching, he was involved in another crime involving a motor vehicle. In 1984, he was convicted of vehicular homicide and ended up having to serve a year in prison for doing so. Once again, another tragic case of a professional hockey player making a reckless decision to get behind the wheel while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Joe Corvo -> When he was out drinking with some teammates, he grabbed the buttocks of an unsuspecting woman, who reacted angrily (as one might expect), and Corvo was kicked out of the bar.
It could have ended there, and we’d likely never hear of it. Corvo, however, decided to return to the bar, where he struck the woman, and then gave her a kick in the ribs for good measure. Then he ran out of the bar. This was 2002. He played in the NHL from 2002-14 after... Don't recall the endless degree of outrage there.

Ed Belfour - The Stars goalie was involved in a March 2000 incident at a Dallas hotel where security was called after his female companion became frightened by Belfour's drunken belligerence. He grappled with a guard, kicked two police officers, and was blasted with pepper spray. He later offered the cops a billion dollars to not take him to jail. No dice. He ended up pleading guilty, apologizing, and being given two years probation and $3,000 fine.

Brett Sutter - The Calgary Flames forward and son of the team's then-GM Darryl Sutter, was accused in November 2010 of being extremely drunk when he punched a cab driver in the face outside a Scottsdale, Ariz. bar from which he'd been tossed for disorderly behavior. Brett, then 23, was brought down by bouncers and faced a misdemeanor charge. He pleaded guilty and was fined $323.60.

There are multiple other players, who were charged with domestic battery, but charges were dropped, from "insufficient evidence" which typically means, the spouse/gf wouldn't testify... Palffy, Varmalov,... Patrick Kane's assault on a Cabbie...

As far as counselling.... ---> A doctor told the court Voynov had completed 28 domestic violence counseling sessions....

Not disagreeing at all, but you have to realize we live in a different world now. There is a ton of outrage flying around looking for somewhere to land.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Whether deserved or not, any team that signs Voynov (or simply trades for his rights) will face major blow back from the #metoo crowd, the media, the fans, and their own employees. That is just a fact. Now considering that Voynov hasn't played in the NHL in 5 years, didn't play at all last year, and will be 30 years-old by the time he is eligible to step on an NHL ice surface, why would any team bother to be the first to step onto the landmine that is a Voynov signing?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Whether deserved or not, any team that signs Voynov (or simply trades for his rights) will face major blow back from the #metoo crowd, the media, the fans, and their own employees. That is just a fact. Now considering that Voynov hasn't played in the NHL in 5 years, didn't play at all last year, and will be 30 years-old by the time he is eligible to step on an NHL ice surface, why would any team bother to be the first to step onto the landmine that is a Voynov signing?

Maybe they are team that's only legit NHL RHD, asked for a trade??

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Drinking and driving is an idiotic and selfish thing to do. No doubt about it. As is texting and driving. Both are dangerous, and can lead to catastrophic outcomes, but be weary of comparing these two crimes. They're not at all alike. One can be attributed to an idiotic mistake while the other is a much deeper and vindictive crime.

That being said, I'm also of the mindset that people deserve a chance for redemption, but it's hard to have that line of thinking sometimes.

This line of defense always kinds of rubs me the wrong way. Id like to ask you a question and not in a vindictive or facetious way:

If youre drunk and get into an argument with your significant other, and it becomes physical, does that make it an idiotic mistake?

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Toronto. Zaitsev asked for a trade. Ozhiganov went back to KHL, and wasn't that good. Hainsey is UFA, plays RD, but is Left handed...

well then Toronto will have to weigh the benefit of Voynov against the blow back they will incur by signing or trading for him. As I said, the fact that he hasn't played in the NHL in 5 years, didn't play at all last year, and will be 30 years old when he is eligible to play are certainly factors that don't work in his favor either. If Toronto signs or trades for him they are taking a huge leap of faith that he'll still be an effective NHL player while at the same time subjecting the team to a massive PR nightmare. That's not even taking into account the internal dissension that might be created on the team (i.e. how many players will not want him on the team, how many wives or girlfriends might not want him on the team, etc). Seems like the juice is not worth the squeeze IMO.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Also something to keep in mind... culture and laws aren't the same everywhere else in the world, as they are in North America... nor have they been this way here in the past either. We are making great progress in positive directions, though we still have a long way to go even here. Old viewpoints, traditions and ways sometimes take a long time to change. In Russia, and other parts of Eastern Europe, such changes haven't happened as rapidly as they have here.

Domestic violence in Russia - Wikipedia

Decriminalisation of domestic violence in Russia leads to fall in reported cases

Domestic abuse is not always criminal in Russia

Violence Against Women in Russia | The Circle NGO

That isn't to suggest that he be excused, in the least. That isn't to condone what he did, but sometimes we need to understand, even that which we despise.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
What he did is f***ed and I'll never look at him in a good way but there are others worse than him who are/went back to playing in professional sports. I'm fine with him being allowed back. I wonder what team will even take him

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
People tend to learn from mistakes and don’t repeat them. Voynov didn’t just snap one day and decide to do this. Violent men are violent for a long time and they build up to this point, they are emotionally and verbally abusive long before they start hitting. And the first hit isn’t smashing her head into a TV multiple times, he’s more than likely grabbed her arm and threatened her, he’s smacked her, he’s pushed her against a wall and warned her. Then there’s the sexual abuse too. Weeks and weeks of this and scaring her to death. The people who are labeling this a “mistake” are themselves sadly mistaken.

Exactly.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
With Zaitsev gone the Leafs will acquire at least one RHD from trade or FA. But, if they have a hole at RD mid way through the season when they can sign him for less because of a limited amount of games and potentially some disinterest around the league, he'd be a huge get half way through the year with no assets out and a cheap cap hit in a tight season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad