Friedman: Voynov eligible to return Game 42 in 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

NHL/NHLPA announce arbitrator rules Slava Voynov must serve a one-year suspension. He is credited for 41 games served, meaning he must sit 41 more.

So Voynov will be eligible to return in 2020, potentially joining a team heading into the playoff stretch.

Discuss.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Very good dman. Would gladly take him on my team. People make mistakes. Hopefully he learned. That is the purpose of the justice system. I find it amusing all the athletes caught drinking and driving, getting ****faced behind a huge moving piece of metal and not facing similar scrutiny. Hope he gets to play.
I think the big thing with him is he seemed to show no remorse or guilt for what he had done

and 99 others

la la la la la la la... a little bit alexis
Jul 27, 2011
Very good dman. Would gladly take him on my team. People make mistakes. Hopefully he learned. That is the purpose of the justice system. I find it amusing all the athletes caught drinking and driving, getting ****faced behind a huge moving piece of metal and not facing similar scrutiny. Hope he gets to play.

Why are you comparing wife beating to drunk driving? Can’t they both be equally abhorrent? Just because some athletes get away with a slap on the wrist for drunk driving doesn’t make it justifiable for Voynov to play in the NHL. That’s not even close to a logical argument.

On the hockey side of things the guy hasn’t stepped foot on an NHL rink in 5 years. I hope he gets burned if any team has the cojones to sign him

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014

I get punishing those who do drink n drive, but Voynov actually hurt someone physically. As far as I can tell, he also didn't get counselling, help, or whatever to rectify the situation.

raswilliam

Feb 18, 2008
East TN.
I think the big thing with him is he seemed to show no remorse or guilt for what he had done

giphy.gif

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Why are you comparing wife beating to drunk driving? Can’t they both be equally abhorrent? Just because some athletes get away with a slap on the wrist for drunk driving doesn’t make it justifiable for Voynov to play in the NHL. That’s not even close to a logical argument.

On the hockey side of things the guy hasn’t stepped foot on an NHL rink in 5 years. I hope he gets burned if any team has the cojones to sign him
Ya they’re both horrible. BUT precedent has been set that those who drive drunk can still play so why not him?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I get punishing those who do drink n drive, but Voynov actually hurt someone physically. As far as I can tell, he also didn't get counselling, help, or whatever to rectify the situation.

National Hockey League forward Dany Heatley on Friday pleaded guilty to four of six charges in the vehicular homicide case against him and was sentenced to three years probation.

Craig MacTavish played in the NHL for the Boston Bruins and now enjoys a post-playing career as a hockey coach. But between playing and coaching, he was involved in another crime involving a motor vehicle. In 1984, he was convicted of vehicular homicide and ended up having to serve a year in prison for doing so. Once again, another tragic case of a professional hockey player making a reckless decision to get behind the wheel while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Joe Corvo -> When he was out drinking with some teammates, he grabbed the buttocks of an unsuspecting woman, who reacted angrily (as one might expect), and Corvo was kicked out of the bar.
It could have ended there, and we’d likely never hear of it. Corvo, however, decided to return to the bar, where he struck the woman, and then gave her a kick in the ribs for good measure. Then he ran out of the bar. This was 2002. He played in the NHL from 2002-14 after... Don't recall the endless degree of outrage there.

Ed Belfour - The Stars goalie was involved in a March 2000 incident at a Dallas hotel where security was called after his female companion became frightened by Belfour's drunken belligerence. He grappled with a guard, kicked two police officers, and was blasted with pepper spray. He later offered the cops a billion dollars to not take him to jail. No dice. He ended up pleading guilty, apologizing, and being given two years probation and $3,000 fine.

Brett Sutter - The Calgary Flames forward and son of the team's then-GM Darryl Sutter, was accused in November 2010 of being extremely drunk when he punched a cab driver in the face outside a Scottsdale, Ariz. bar from which he'd been tossed for disorderly behavior. Brett, then 23, was brought down by bouncers and faced a misdemeanor charge. He pleaded guilty and was fined $323.60.

There are multiple other players, who were charged with domestic battery, but charges were dropped, from "insufficient evidence" which typically means, the spouse/gf wouldn't testify... Palffy, Varmalov,... Patrick Kane's assault on a Cabbie...

As far as counselling.... ---> A doctor told the court Voynov had completed 28 domestic violence counseling sessions....

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
You don't see the difference between being reckless and being actively violent against someone?

Reactions: Zrhutch and Spazkat

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Hope the habs aren't one of those teams.

He may be a piece of **** off-ice...but we need a guy like him on the ice. Shift him or Petry to the left side and we have a respectable top 4.

I can see why teams would though. Negative publicity in this regard is not something NHL teams chase. I'm not suggesting whether he should or not get a second chance. All I'm saying is that teams are generally hesitant to sign guys when they know the possibility of there being some blow back from fans.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
for what its worth the kings have his right and any team looking would have to get them from the kings. The will be a press release soon from the kings on slava

It seems odd to me, that they would retain his rights, after they terminated his contract, and said contract is set to expire July 1st anyway. How do you get to terminate a contract, and still hold someone's rights... that's kind of odd really.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
What you can tell doesn’t matter..
he spent two (2) months in jail
Actually did counseling here
Essentially missed the entire season when this happened and will miss 41 more games... meaning he’s missed 123 games due to this incident..

I actually knew someone convicted of DV and that person did less time in jail than Voynov did.. not saying what he did was right because it wasn’t but he’s served his time. Some of you can bitch and main all you want but when you serve your time, you should expect to be giving a second chance unless of course you’re perfect!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad