Friedman: Voynov eligible to return Game 42 in 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I wonder who will sign him, because somebody will as long as he can play and we know he can.

There are no morals in sports he's getting signed

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Clear his name? How exactly do you clear your name when you’re guilty?

Lol, she was as drunk as f*** in that day, she didn't speak English well, if at all, she later admitted Voynov didn't do anything terrible... He had all the chances in the world to clear his name, it just would have taken some time and he wouldn't be able to play hockey for a while.

He prefered another way, and that way was wrong.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Beating your girlfriend is not "making a mistake". Wtf man?

All things considered it is . He comes from Russia and their culture is different . It about 50 years behind when it comes to human rights . It’s like it was here in the 50s and 60s . Women got hit all the time just like kids did . Make no mistake it is terrible and wrong . But if you only grew up knowing a certain way base on your upbringing it’s not your fault . You think little kids in the Middle East grow up wanting to be a terrorist . No they learn from the people around them .

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
When drinking and driving is the same as beating the **** out of your spouse... and you find that amusing.

No when you are so drunk tho it effects your judgement. Most people do not go out expecting to get drunk and drive . Once drunk they make bad decisions. Hitting another person man woman or child because you are drunk can be put into a bad decision.
I mention it once before and will not go into details but a guy is charge in Halifax for having sex with a drunk lady . They judge threw it out because she may have consented . She can’t remember . It was appealed the higher court ruled a drunk person can not consent to anything . So if she is not responsible for her actions because she is drunk how can someone that breaks the law be anymore responsible . Can’t have it both ways . Myself I have never drank in my life and even with my pain I have bottles and bottles of very strong pain medications I don’t take . So I am not going to try and convince anyone that being drunk is an valid excuse. I just posted about the court case as it’s a look from another angle

Reactions: Kreegz2

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
A very volatile topic.

I don't buy the "he is from a different culture, so that mitigates his behavior to an extent" argument. I don't excuse abuse just because it is normalized in a backwards society, or because it was normalized here years ago. That doesn't make it right and it doesn't give Voynov a pass. His expulsion from the NHL was the right thing for the league to do.

However, I do believe in giving someone a second chance. I don't think we can condemn someone to never playing pro hockey again (or any other chosen career) because they did something in the past that warranted a felony conviction. Did Voynov pay his debt to society? I am not convinced he did but I'd need more details on what happened to him afterwards. I do know he lost millions in NHL salary. That is some kind of punishment at least.

If a team feels he warrants another shot at the NHL I am for it. Either we feel a person can be redeemed or they can't. I think they can.

Reactions: Hidden

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan
AtmFpFahE3xj8aQK7

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
A very volatile topic.

I don't buy the "he is from a different culture, so that mitigates his behavior to an extent" argument. I don't excuse abuse just because it is normalized in a backwards society, or because it was normalized here years ago. That doesn't make it right and it doesn't give Voynov a pass. His expulsion from the NHL was the right thing for the league to do.

However, I do believe in giving someone a second chance. I don't think we can condemn someone to never playing pro hockey again (or any other chosen career) because they did something in the past that warranted a felony conviction. Did Voynov pay his debt to society? I am not convinced he did but I'd need more details on what happened to him afterwards. I do know he lost millions in NHL salary. That is some kind of punishment at least.

If a team feels he warrants another shot at the NHL I am for it. Either we feel a person can be redeemed or they can't. I think they can.
spent two month's in "jail" too (quotes because I think it was a pretty luxurious jail)

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
As a King's fan I am pissed that he screwed LA's chance at repeating and he has left a hole they have not yet been able to fill. I am still pissed at the league for how they did not allow LA to use his cap space till DL had to put him in a practice to force the leagues hand. The whole thing has been brutally mis-managed and the CBA needs to do a better job with this kind of crap.

Now that there is a final verdict I suppose the next thing I will be pissed about is the fact LA will be selling a top 4 D and get a piss poor return

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
As a King's fan I am pissed that he screwed LA's chance at repeating and he has left a hole they have not yet been able to fill. I am still pissed at the league for how they did not allow LA to use his cap space till DL had to put him in a practice to force the leagues hand. The whole thing has been brutally mis-managed and the CBA needs to do a better job with this kind of crap.

Now that there is a final verdict I suppose the next thing I will be pissed about is the fact LA will be selling a top 4 D and get a piss poor return

Took the Kings less than two weeks to terminate Mike Richards' contract because he was caught with too much oxy & OTC drugs. They could've easily terminated Voynov's as well, but the wife beater is/was still good at hockey.

Reactions: Prairie Habs

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Very good dman. Would gladly take him on my team. People make mistakes. Hopefully he learned. That is the purpose of the justice system. I find it amusing all the athletes caught drinking and driving, getting ****faced behind a huge moving piece of metal and not facing similar scrutiny. Hope he gets to play.

People also make “on purposes” too.

Kind of like what punching, kicking, choking and pushing someone’s face into a flat screen TV is. That is an “on purpose”.

A mistake is when you have good intentions but do the wrong thing.

Glad I could clear the air on this subject.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Who cares about that. He served his sentence, let him play
Whether or not you and I feel the same or differently about his situation, my remark was simply about how NHL teams would react to him returning.

As I said before I can see a lot of teams passing based on the fact that there is the possibility of a media circus that would accompany him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad