Friedman: Voynov eligible to return Game 42 in 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Punishment used to be a tool to help rehabilitate. Now its become a way of ostracizing people through social media.

As I said early, what I find interesting is musicians commit felonies and radio stations play their music even more, Cardi B is on example. She admitted to drugging and robbing men in hotel rooms and no one seems to care and her music has become even more popular.

Yep, I've mentioned it before in the Voynov argument. Especially when people say it's a business. Look at Chris Brown. He's now contracted to the same umbrella record company who fired him after he beat up Rhianna. People said he'd never work again and his career was over. He now has 58+ million followers on instagram and is still a big name in the music industry. As I keep saying, there might be people who don't want to see him back but at the end of the day it's about making money. If teams think Voynov will help them win, well then a few of you are going to be reeeee'ing.

oh, but it does. hockey is a business after all

Read what I just wrote. Correct, it is a business. And ultimately winning is better business than listening to a few whiney people on social media who in a few weeks will have forgotten about it and will have moved on.

Reactions: smitty10

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Read what I just wrote. Correct, it is a business. And ultimately winning is better business than listening to a few whiney people on social media who in a few weeks will have forgotten about it and will have moved on.

Chris Brown isn't a good example if you understand Crenshaw's work (she coined the term intersectionality).

Those whiny folks online must be doing something right when Social media apps are trying to hide bad ratios/outright banning accounts. People might forget if wins come - but if they don't, it can quickly become a distraction. I doubt the #metoo movement would look away, tho.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
one is NOT like the other. 2 were in handcuffs and the other made a political statement. Different problems

Don made a political statement about his country which was seen as wrong and he was fired. What Kap did was pretty much against the army too which America does not stand for and neither does the NFL. If you’re going to make a statement, stick to it. I’m not going to get into whether that statement was wrong or not on Kaps part.

Voynov did his time and now he’s free to join. Teams would be stupid to not overlook this and see his talent. Everyone deserves another chance after they have been rehabilitated. Again it’s not up to us whether he has or hasn’t. The NHL says he has and now he’s within his right to come back and teams are within their right to sign him

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Don made a political statement about his country which was seen as wrong and he was fired. What Kap did was pretty much against the army too which America does not stand for and neither does the NFL. If you’re going to make a statement, stick to it. I’m not going to get into whether that statement was wrong or not on Kaps part.

Voynov did his time and now he’s free to join. Teams would be stupid to not overlook this and see his talent. Everyone deserves another chance after they have been rehabilitated. Again it’s not up to us whether he has or hasn’t. The NHL says he has and now he’s within his right to come back and teams are within their right to sign him

that's not why he kneeled

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
that's not why he kneeled

I understand. Kneeling to the anthem is though.

You can show your frustrations in other ways. Realistically this was the worst way to do it. Disrespecting your whole country because you have a beef with law enforcement

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
I understand. Kneeling to the anthem is though.

You can show your frustrations in other ways. Realistically this was the worst way to do it. Disrespecting your whole country because you have a beef with law enforcement

he didn't disrespect a whole country - and even if he did? that would be his right. this is nothing like domestic violence.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
he didn't disrespect a whole country - and even if he did? that would be his right. this is nothing like domestic violence.

So I was comparing Kap to Don Cherry. I don’t really see why he’s being compared to Voynov to being with.

I’m just saying if they banned him or whatever, why change their minds now, two years after he hasn’t played.

If anything this is like Varlamov who is playing and never got a serious suspension

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
So I was comparing Kap to Don Cherry. I don’t really see why he’s being compared to Voynov to being with.

I’m just saying if they banned him or whatever, why change their minds now, two years after he hasn’t played.

If anything this is like Varlamov who is playing and never got a serious suspension

Don Cherry targeted a protected class - Kap not so much.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019

Not going to get sucked into your asinine attempt of a useless debate. Words vs action. Can not comment on what cherry SAID because people have lost perspective. There was nothing racist about the QB taking a knee

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
National Hockey League forward Dany Heatley on Friday pleaded guilty to four of six charges in the vehicular homicide case against him and was sentenced to three years probation.

Craig MacTavish played in the NHL for the Boston Bruins and now enjoys a post-playing career as a hockey coach. But between playing and coaching, he was involved in another crime involving a motor vehicle. In 1984, he was convicted of vehicular homicide and ended up having to serve a year in prison for doing so. Once again, another tragic case of a professional hockey player making a reckless decision to get behind the wheel while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Joe Corvo -> When he was out drinking with some teammates, he grabbed the buttocks of an unsuspecting woman, who reacted angrily (as one might expect), and Corvo was kicked out of the bar.
It could have ended there, and we’d likely never hear of it. Corvo, however, decided to return to the bar, where he struck the woman, and then gave her a kick in the ribs for good measure. Then he ran out of the bar. This was 2002. He played in the NHL from 2002-14 after... Don't recall the endless degree of outrage there.

Ed Belfour - The Stars goalie was involved in a March 2000 incident at a Dallas hotel where security was called after his female companion became frightened by Belfour's drunken belligerence. He grappled with a guard, kicked two police officers, and was blasted with pepper spray. He later offered the cops a billion dollars to not take him to jail. No dice. He ended up pleading guilty, apologizing, and being given two years probation and $3,000 fine.

Brett Sutter - The Calgary Flames forward and son of the team's then-GM Darryl Sutter, was accused in November 2010 of being extremely drunk when he punched a cab driver in the face outside a Scottsdale, Ariz. bar from which he'd been tossed for disorderly behavior. Brett, then 23, was brought down by bouncers and faced a misdemeanor charge. He pleaded guilty and was fined $323.60.

There are multiple other players, who were charged with domestic battery, but charges were dropped, from "insufficient evidence" which typically means, the spouse/gf wouldn't testify... Palffy, Varmalov,... Patrick Kane's assault on a Cabbie...

As far as counselling.... ---> A doctor told the court Voynov had completed 28 domestic violence counseling sessions....

You can have the opinion that Voynov should be allowed to play and I will respect that. However, it is absolutely ridiculous to think that because people have done worse in the past, that we should have absolutely no issue with Voynov being allowed back in the NHL.

You can probably make a stronger argument that the guys you listed should have received harsher penalties than thrygot rather than Voynov should receive a lighter one.

The league should be doing more to stop physical & sexual assault, not keeping up with their standards from 15 years ago.

Edit: Didnt realize your comment was from ages ago, probably wouldnt of commented if I did considering your opinion could have changed and wasnt in reference to thos update.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Not going to get sucked into your asinine attempt of a useless debate. Words vs action. Can not comment on what cherry SAID because people have lost perspective. There was nothing racist about the QB taking a knee

Im not going to get into what you’re going for here either tbh. Different (way different) views. Many people including Orr don’t believe his comments were racist and called CBC disgraceful. It’s really just a joke how everything went down. I guess it’s just what today’s society has become.

I never said there was anything racist about what Kap did. I said it was disrespectful to America. If he had a beef with the law system he didn’t have to kneel to a national anthem and disrespect the country.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
This has desperation from the Leafs written all over it.
Would be an interesting thang for surely sire to follow on.

Is there uh, anybody else on his tale right now? Or is he already given permission to play with anybody he wants? Not forced to be playing with the kings no?

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia
Im not going to get into what you’re going for here either tbh. Different (way different) views. Many people including Orr don’t believe his comments were racist and called CBC disgraceful. It’s really just a joke how everything went down. I guess it’s just what today’s society has become.

I never said there was anything racist about what Kap did. I said it was disrespectful to America. If he had a beef with the law system he didn’t have to kneel to a national anthem and disrespect the country.
Yeah cause police in America are known for being very open to discussion about reform and improvement...

FloridaSabresFan

Nov 5, 2019
Yeah cause police in America are known for being very open to discussion about reform and improvement...
That's not the police's job that is the politicians job. What I find interesting is it wasn't even Kaep's decision to kneel. It was Army vet Nate Boyer. In the end Kneeling has done much except make America more divisive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad