Injury Report: Vol. 4 (Updates in 1st Post) | Game Day @ NJD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
I don't think he retires either. BUT, I'll say again that reading the article about Peyton Manning's initial issues after having the same surgery remind why surgery is the last resort and why one unfortunately must understand that there could be complications with this type of surgery.

He is someone who definitely should retire. Multiple concussions, a stroke, and now a serious neck injury. He would be wise to focus on his long term health

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
I assume their salary losses will be wiped out by increases to Schultz, Dumoulin and Sheary.

We'll come out on the positive. Remember that Scuds comes off the books too.

Dumo + Sheary = Kunitz and Scuderi
And there is no way Schultz gets Fleury money yet.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
We'll come out on the positive. Remember that Scuds comes off the books too.

Dumo + Sheary = Kunitz and Scuderi
And there is no way Schultz gets Fleury money yet.

Fleury money? Probably not.

BUT, if he has a good playoffs . . .

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I honestly think it's more-- a lot more-- about how he plays.

With the way he plays, he should really consider giving the body a break...or it breaks.

He is going to be 30 in 20 days. We can't lean on this guy for 27 mins a game like we are accustomed to for very much longer.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Just curious if anyone knows how the cap situation well be if Kunitz and Fleury are gone after the season? Don't really follow the cap stuff a whole lot. Letang is so injury prone at this point they almost have to go after a big name dman. Maybe old man river can work some magic and sucker someone. Feel so bad for Tanger. The guy has been through a lot.

Made a post that shows the type of $ we'll have this summer in the Cap thread.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
With the way he plays, he should really consider giving the body a break...or it breaks.

He is going to be 30 in 20 days. We can't lean on this guy for 27 mins a game like we are accustomed to for very much longer.

I don't know that he knows how to play any other way, and I don't know how easy it is to reprogram yourself that way.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I don't know that he knows how to play any other way, and I don't know how easy it is to reprogram yourself that way.

He's going to have to adapt or he's going to be out of this league prematurely.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
He's going to have to adapt or he's going to be out of this league prematurely.

For sure.

You know, I still say this is a really scary surgery. This isn't like a MCL. There's a chance-- not a majority chance or even a big one but still a chance-- that the surgery may not go perfectly. Scary stuff.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
There is very real potential he may have to retire. With this surgery, his career is absolutely in jeopardy.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I don't know. If it's going to happen or not, Shatty isn't going to be the difference maker. There was too many question marks 5 weeks ago. Washington paid that price because this is their 'all in' year before a major cap required retool has to happen. Pens are in a much better place than that this summer, and that 1st probably comes in handy if you're looking to add another top 4 D solution after the expansion draft.

Why wouldn't Shattenkirk be a difference-maker? He's the 4th highest scoring defenseman in the league, and with Letang out, our 2nd highest scoring defenseman after Schultz is Streit, who shouldn't even see the ice when Daley and Maatta come back.

Let that sink in for a minute. :laugh:

I'm more concerned about trying to be the first team to repeat since '98 than I am about using a 1st to recoup defensemen this summer. Not having a contingency plan for Letang puts a serious dent in those chances.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
I didn't want to write it, so thanks. :(

Truth is, you write that, and some people will read it as 'you're saying Letang will never play again'.

Posting this again: https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...3b5ca6-3a55-11e3-b7ba-503fb5822c3e_story.html

It's definitely serious and a possibility. I deal with a lot of medical professionals with my brain and neck injuries. Ive heard stories from a few that have personally had surgeries recommended for them around the neck area. They refused because they have seen what can happen. It's the gateway for the brain to tell the body what to do.

Forgetting about hockey hopefully it goes well just so he can have a normal life (whether he plays again or not).

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
Gronkowski, Romo, etc. have all come back from herniated disc surgery.

But, HF likes to cue the "this player should give up his career" because what is funner than over reaction on an internet message board.

I say he should consider giving up his career because of a stroke and multiple concussions. Don't think Gronk and Romo came back from those. This latest may push him and his family towards retirement.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
I say he should consider giving up his career because of a stroke and multiple concussions. Don't think Gronk and Romo came back from those. This latest may push him and his family towards retirement.

Doesn't strike me as a guy that would retire unless doctors forced it.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

Stroke was nothing related to hockey. He literally just posted he'll back in a couple of months on his instagram.

I don't know. I think he is in the perfect state to make the decisions he and his family want to. Considering like.. he is Kris Letang and with his family and obviously has gotten multiple doctor's opinions.

It is so weird to me that Peter Forsberg is seen as a pariah for always trying to play, but players like Letang are "dumb" because message board users think they are endangering their lives. Everyone's body breaks down, if I was making 7.25 million dollars to do what I loved, I'd take the risk especially if professionals are telling me that I could do it. They literally just let him skate knowing he had a herniated disc.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
They said it wasn't just one thing. More a cumulative effect.

Hmmm, yeah just watched the video with Sully's comment about that. Just thinking...it makes sense, he always has a target on him and he has never been very good at escaping big hits. He was really abused this season and last, more so than before, and several were shots up high where the neck was tweaked.

This is just such a bummer, selfishly, obviously, but also for Kris and the rest of the Pens.

Going to need Daley back and in pre-injury Spring 2016 form...

Mattpilf

Jun 28, 2016
Stroke was nothing related to hockey.

Ehh, strokes are just blood clots to the brain, and blood clots are cause by hockey demanding schedule.

But I agree, here shouldn't retire. You hear these people say this every major injury. It's an overreaction.

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Does anyone know why Rutherford seemed to make no attempt to acquire Shattenkirk? I thought he would be perfect as a back-up and a potential signing. Heck what offensive d mman would not wnat to play for the Penguins. What was the word from the team during the circus of Shatty? The Caps paid very little and the Blues are paying part of his salary.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I honestly think it's more-- a lot more-- about how he plays.

Agreed. The dude doesn't know the definition of discretion. He plays every single shift like we're down by a goal and we have the goalie pulled. He's dead-set on putting himself in stupid, vulnerable spots on a near shift-by-shift basis and *that* is why he's hurt all the time.

Eagerly awaiting his dozen or so games healthy, albeit probably inconsistent as Hell, before he's injured and shelved again. :rolleyes:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Agreed. The dude doesn't know the definition of discretion. He plays every single shift like we're down by a goal and we have the goalie pulled. He's dead-set on putting himself in stupid, vulnerable spots on a near shift-by-shift basis and *that* is why he's hurt all the time.

Eagerly awaiting his dozen or so games healthy, albeit probably inconsistent as Hell, before he's injured and shelved again. :rolleyes:

I've never seen a fanbase have a player like Letang who is a consistent top five / ten Norris contender and is literally one year removed from a Conn Smythe throw such vitriol at the player.

I wonder what people here would've said about Lemieux through the early '90s. Probably that we should've traded him for a player like Oates who was "more consistent".

Also, what # 1 defenseman isn't putting themselves in the positions that Letang is? Maybe the issue is that Letang is just a relatively smaller defenseman who has had bad luck with injuries? Those players exist. His drive and play shouldn't be seen as a negative.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
Hmmm, yeah just watched the video with Sully's comment about that. Just thinking...it makes sense, he always has a target on him and he has never been very good at escaping big hits. He was really abused this season and last, more so than before, and several were shots up high where the neck was tweaked.

This is just such a bummer, selfishly, obviously, but also for Kris and the rest of the Pens.

Going to need Daley back and in pre-injury Spring 2016 form...

Daley doesn't necessarily have to be that good for us to work. It'd be nice though. Our D last season was good but not spectacular. It was the forwards getting back and pressuring the opposition all over the ice.

If you put this playoff D against last it's not the end of the world.

2016 Dumo 2017 -Dumo: He was great last year and he's getting better and better lately. Pretty even.

Letang - Schultz: Schultz can't replace Letang completely but he's pretty comparable offensively. On D yeah he's a bit below.

Maatta - Maatta: He's better than last year by quite a bit. Just depends on how he comes back after the injury.

Lovejoy - Hainsey: Lovejoy was good and Hainsey seems pretty reliable I think those 2 are pretty even.

Cole -Cole: He's better than last season and as long he doesn't have to play too many minutes things should go well.

Daley -Daley: Daley likely won't be as good but we didn't have him the whole playoffs either. Very encouraged that he's skating with contact. He could be a wildcard.

It's more the uncertainty with the injured guys but the D core is definitely able to play solid hockey. Just play good consistent hockey. Let the forwards win it for us (and that Murray guy).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad