Injury Report: Vol. 4 (Updates in 1st Post) | Game Day @ NJD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Gronkowski hasn't returned yet. Romo had a herniated lumbar disc, and one could even say that after that he wasn't as good. Peyton Manning had a herniated disc in his neck and had surgery just like Letang is about to. Peyton Manning was a complete shell of his former self.

Peyton Manning on his neck surgeries rehab — and how he almost didn’t make it back

I'm not saying Letang won't make it back, but I put this one right up there with the stroke.

Manning had cervical fusion surgery, then re-injured the disc, I believe. He ended up having three neck surgeries in an 18 month span, then the fourth and final neck surgery.

He dealt with these setbacks and surgeries when he was 35 I believe? Then came back with Denver the following year and had a very good season, then his second year in Denver he put up his best statistical season ever, which is saying something considering his video game stats, when he was 37... almost 5500 yards and 55 td.

He had another great season the following year at 38, and then finally slowed down and had a gum band arm at 39, which is pretty common for most QBs that age.

Manning's neck injury was pretty brutal so, there is a lot of hope here for Letang IMHO.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Lot of Tweets in the first post, so this might have gotten overlooked ...

tenor.gif

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Not to mention the fact that Maatta - Daley as a pairing isn't just bad, it's bad enough to lose a series basically by itself. It's nothing less than poisonous.

If only you had any data to support this ridiculous claim. Oh you don't.

Maatta and Daley were our 3rd best pairing of the year (>100min together) and had a 61% GF% at 5v5. That is hardly "bad", rather bad enough to lose a series by itself.

http://www.corsica.hockey/combos/

Oh look, Dumoulin is part of the 2 worst pairing combos....both combos paired with our 2 best D men (Schultz & Letang). Never mind. Maatta is the problem, right?

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Gronkowski hasn't returned yet. Romo had a herniated lumbar disc, and one could even say that after that he wasn't as good. Peyton Manning had a herniated disc in his neck and had surgery just like Letang is about to. Peyton Manning was a complete shell of his former self.

Peyton Manning on his neck surgeries rehab — and how he almost didn’t make it back

I'm not saying Letang won't make it back, but I put this one right up there with the stroke.

When people post that they have to get that Manning's neck wasn't perfect to begin with and his brother's career as ended by a degenerative neck (spine?) problem. It's not perfectly comparable to Letang unless Letang has the same problem. It's bad but we don't know if it's close to being as bad, but it might be worse than the stroke.

I do wonder if we could get him to be expansion exempt with a career threatening injury, though.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
You're selling that Tampa defense short.

2004 versions of Pavel Kubina and Dan Boyle is better than anyone we have right now.

The Caps are an incredible team and they would draw them in round 2, they'd need a miracle without Letang, or maybe Murray playing like 1990s Dominick Hasek.

Yeah that Tampa defense was pretty good. Boyle and Kubina in 2004 may not be on Letang's level, but they were good players.

The fact is, since 2007, every Cup winner has had an elite number 1. It's not impossible for the Pens to win, but it's pretty unlikely.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Losing Tanger sucks but if there's one team that has the depth to overcome that type of injury it's the Pens. If the rest of our injured guys (geno especially) are able to make a comeback in time for the playoffs then I firmly believe we still have enough depth to go the distance, even without Letang.

That being said, thank god JR went out and landed both Hainsey and Streit before the deadline. I can only imagine just how brutally bad this blue line would've looked had we lost Letang and not had those two on our depth chart.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I do get the frustration that we didn't push harder for Shattenkirk now with Letang's situation revealed. Yeah JR didn't know that Letang would need season ending surgery, but I'm sure that option was on the table if the rehab didn't work. Knowing that and how the rest of the roster was shaping up for a run, I think it's reasonable to question why JR didn't push for the trade.

I'm not too upset about it or anything, but it would sure be nice to have him right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad