Injury Report: Vol. 4 (Updates in 1st Post) | Game Day @ NJD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Strange, I don't get why that would've led to a temporary issue looking at your computer screen.

Then again, I always figured you just exist in a permanently concussed state after all the self-inflicted chair shots.

:popcorn:

I am Broken after all.

I had trouble concentrating and was getting massive headache while working. Fought through it as I didn't want to miss work because I stupidly played while concussed.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'm not giving up Sprong, and I'm sure as **** not giving up Guentzel for Shattenkirk in an attempt to repeat, something no team has done in two decades, when the window is still open for another 4 or 5 years.

Selling the farm is something you do when you haven't won, not when you're just coming off a Championship year. It's nonsense.

I wouldn't give those two up for him if Shatty had another year on his deal.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
3Zufydc.gif

Not too late to switch :sarcasm:

Well done :handclap:

I am Broken after all.

I had trouble concentrating and was getting massive headache while working. Fought through it as I didn't want to miss work because I stupidly played while concussed.

Well, as long as you could ID the DELETE button . . . :popcorn:

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
I'm not giving up Sprong, and I'm sure as **** not giving up Guentzel for Shattenkirk in an attempt to repeat, something no team has done in two decades, when the window is still open for another 4 or 5 years.

Selling the farm is something you do when you haven't won, not when you're just coming off a Championship year. It's nonsense.

And if you read my post on the previous page, I said I'm glad he didn't give up Sprong or Guentz. But the comparable deal would have been Sundqvist and a 1st, not those guys. And that isn't close to selling the farm.

jjp66

Apr 10, 2015
I'd feel better if I knew we had a healthy Malkin to off-set the loss of Letang.. Unfortunately, we honestly have no idea what his health actually is. Last year, Malkin was playing hurt and a shell of himself in the playoffs, but Letang was healthy and a beast.. Beast mode Malkin would really help mitigate the loss of Letang. I really don't see us getting far with gimpy Malkin, no Letang, and health questions surrounding Hagelin, Maata, Rust, and Daley. I know nobody wants to hear it, but Kunitz going down is just another shot at our depth, unless it's a true addition by subtraction. He played pretty decent as the playoffs wore on last year.

Fogel

Analytics please
May 10, 2010
PA
I think it makes it all the more imperative for the fwds to really support the D like they did last year and cut out the flying the zone early stuff that we have seen most of the year. With the emergence of Sheary and Guentzel as legit top-6 options, I'd even argue that the fwds are more capable and potentially deeper than last year and will have to do even more to make up for Letang's absence.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I am Broken after all.

My sister went to work with a concussion and when she looked back she had no idea what she'd been doing. They're scary ****.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
And if you read my post on the previous page, I said I'm glad he didn't give up Sprong or Guentz. But the comparable deal would have been Sundqvist and a 1st, not those guys. And that isn't close to selling the farm.

Don't know if I'd have done it given the uncertainty around Letang. I mean, if I doubted that he'd be back, is it worth chasing with two assets that could be leveraged this summer for longer term solutions?

I'd feel better if I knew we had a healthy Malkin to off-set the loss of Letang.. Unfortunately, we honestly have no idea what his health actually is. Last year, Malkin was playing hurt and a shell of himself in the playoffs, but Letang was healthy and a beast.. Beast mode Malkin would really help mitigate the loss of Letang. I really don't see us getting far with gimpy Malkin, no Letang, and health questions surrounding Hagelin, Maata, Rust, and Daley. I know nobody wants to hear it, but Kunitz going down is just another shot at our depth, unless it's a true addition by subtraction. He played pretty decent as the playoffs wore on last year.

Still don't think people appreciate what Malkin did with one arm and one albatross last playoffs. I'd actually argue it was the best he'd looked since 2009 in the playoffs, that his possession numbers were off the charts and that if he'd be able to shoot and did so at his usual playoff quantity and conversion would've challenged Kessel for the team scoring lead.

That said, Malkin is in a better place than last year. With the elbow, he just couldn't shoot or stickhandle near his 100% level. This year, it's two issues with the shoulder . . . one is pain, and we all know Geno will gut that out. The other is range of motion, which can affect the shot and stickhandling, although it won't be as bad as last year.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
If Letang was coming back for sure, Shatty was an 'at all costs' luxury.

If Letang wasn't coming back for sure, Shatty wasn't going to be the difference, not 'at all costs'.

Seems to me if you didn't know whether Letang would be back, a D rental isn't the 'at all costs' play.

I mean, if it were similar with Geno 5 weeks ago, where you just couldn't know what would happen, would you have rented a 'Shatty type' substitute at all costs? :help:

Sometimes, it is what it is, and you just hope your best players find a way against the odds.

Yes, if you have a legit shot at the Cup, you pull out all the stops to win it. Sometimes it'll work, sometimes it won't. But that's the chance you need to take.

And maybe I'm missing something, but Sundqvist should not be 'untouchable' in any way, shape, or form. If that's what it would have took, you do that move every time and not lose a wink of sleep over it. Now for all I know, maybe JR did offer that and it was turned down. Who knows.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not too worried about missing Letang. It helps our powerplay, if nothing else.

Daley's gonna need to regain something close to last season's form, though.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yes, if you have a legit shot at the Cup, you pull out all the stops to win it. Sometimes it'll work, sometimes it won't. But that's the chance you need to take.

And maybe I'm missing something, but Sundqvist should not be 'untouchable' in any way, shape, or form. If that's what it would have took, you do that move every time and not lose a wink of sleep over it. Now for all I know, maybe JR did offer that and it was turned down. Who knows.

It's not about touchable. Let's say he's touchable. And the 1st. Is it better to leverage those assets this deadline, knowing what you know about Letang, or over the summer for more permanent solutions, when you've got cap space and a market likely full of sellers?

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
It's not about touchable. Let's say he's touchable. And the 1st. Is it better to leverage those assets this deadline, knowing what you know about Letang, or over the summer for more permanent solutions, when you've got cap space and a market likely full of sellers?

IDK, I'd go for the Cup this year, but that's just me

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The 2006 Hurricanes are the definition of "fluke".

For sure.

IDK, I'd go for the Cup this year, but that's just me

If Letang is for sure going to be healthy, then paying that price for Shatty makes sense.

If you don't know, then paying that price isn't 'going for it'. It's trying to mitigate a loss.

Nah, I know where the cap situation sits this summer. I know a lot of teams are going to have to make moves. Given the uncertainty with Letang, not going overboard for Shatty was the smart play.

Unfortunate situation, but sometimes that's how it plays out.

Dey so soff*

Feb 17, 2017
Well there you are.

Knew it was coming by the way the organization handled the news surrounding it and that is the reason why they wanted Shattenkirk and stocked up with Streit and Hainsey. They knew the prognosis wasn't good and just didn't want to let the cat out of the bag...

See you in October Kris.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
For sure.

If Letang is for sure going to be healthy, then paying that price for Shatty makes sense.

If you don't know, then paying that price isn't 'going for it'. It's trying to mitigate a loss.

Nah, I know where the cap situation sits this summer. I know a lot of teams are going to have to make moves. Given the uncertainty with Letang, not going overboard for Shatty was the smart play.

Unfortunate situation, but sometimes that's how it plays out.

It is the exact move Chicago has made a couple of times. Small moves to adjust issues, but ones that ultimately don't empty the prospect pool. Obviously, that has changed the last two years, but they are getting to the end of their contending days with Keith and Seabrook aging.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Eh, major blow to cup run. Maata and Daley will likely both have to come back and be at rookie year and last playoff form respectively. Not holding my breath.

Explains interest in Shattenkirk though. Not saying I'd give up many valuable pieces for him as a rental though. Wouldn't even use Jarry TBH.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
everyone steps up, that's all. stronger malkin, superior forwards, and a bunch of guys that have demonstrated more than sufficient peaks within the last 2 years

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
everyone steps up, that's all. stronger malkin, superior forwards, and a bunch of guys that have demonstrated more than sufficient peaks within the last 2 years

We'll see how much stronger with Malkin. Still a little worried. Just saying . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad