Rumor: Victor Mete + Paul Byron on the block

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Mete is not a NHLer. He's good at rushing the puck but not much else.

I disagree, I see him as a guy who's good at everything, except one thing. The problem is the thing he's really bad at (net front coverage) is probably the most important quality in a minute eating Dman.

I would 100% assume he's still got value around the league. He's still very young, and has undeniably great skating. He's not the piece I would move though if I were Bergevin.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I disagree, I see him as a guy who's good at everything, except one thing. The problem is the thing he's really bad at (net front coverage) is probably the most important quality in a minute eating Dman.

I would 100% assume he's still got value around the league. He's still very young, and has undeniably great skating. He's not the piece I would move though if I were Bergevin.
Exactly. You don’t move a 22 y.o LD making 750k. There will be buyers if he’s available

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Weal traded for a late pick and Ouellet to Laval and presto Habs have a little over a million in cap space.

Armia, Byron, Lehky and Mete can stay put!
This and you can always put Byron down whenever you want because no one is gonna take him off waivers No need of any panicking

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Typo, 2 goalies.

If you don't have cap space, you can't call up. We could get into a lot of trouble if we get some non-LTIR injuries.
I think your reaching there . Were compliant just by sending weal to Laval . We’re at the ceiling but that’s ok . If we’re gonna get a spot in the playoffs will need all hands on deck from the get - go .

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
With Laval 15 minutes away there is no reason for going to a 23 man roster through the season . 1 spare defenseman and forward in the press box is enough no ?

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond

Also Mete is not a guy you should be putting in situations where you need him to clear the crease anyway...he seems like a fine player for the bottom pair that is a bit sheltered. Just put him in a position to succeed. At worst, keep him as a 7th D.

maybe he has value to attach to Byron to dump his contract since many teams probably want a cheap starting 5/6 dman, but I wouldn’t move him otherwise

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
We will see how it plays out. I could see Byron shipped before the season to add space on the cap to deal with potential issues.

However, I could also see simply sending Ouellette down (99% sure) and waiving/trading Weal. Evans and Belzile on the main roster and all of a sudden we have 7D-13F on the roster and it is cap compliant.

We may have to add a small sweetener to get rid of Weal, but at 1.4M for one year, it won't be much.

Byron would need to go before next year, but the market may not be as bad by then towards players with a slightly high cap hit as it is now.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Weal can be waived & sent to Laval, which saves $1m on the cap. All of the sudden we're under.

Capfriendly numbers also include Ouellet on the roster. He is captain of Laval & will also play there opening up another $738k.

However, Montreal might want to move a D simply because with the signing of Edmundson Kulak & Mete are probably out of top 6.

Most expect something else to happen.

But, it's an easy fix unlike say, TB, Vancouver, & Vegas.

Reactions: BobbyShehan

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Byron
Mete
Weal

At least one will be dealt. Byron would be a good player for a cap floor team as he can actually contribute on the PK and play up and down the lineup. Mete is flawed but isn't bad. He is a role player for sure. Weal is a complete enigma but is an NHLer...

Don't know who needs to add salary at this point though...

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
True. But I would also gladly pay Killorn an extra million for what he brings in comparison to Byron.
But in all reality no team wants to touch these longer term deals for depth players right now with a ten foot pole if they can avoid it..
I think MTL would have to sweeten the pot by quite a bit if they want to get rid off Byron or atleast take on a slightly cheaper bad contract...
I agree with this. You can add Compher and Donskoi to the list of overpaid depth players that teams wish they could dump.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Habs bury Weal and replace with Evans/Poehling. Oulette is in the AHL. The puts them ~ 750K under with 12 forwards and 7 D. Mete can be the 7D and 13th forward.

Its not an issue. Plenty of options.

That said I wouldn’t be surprised if they dealt Lehkonen - @Richard88 ’s 2nd favorite player after Danault.

Last edited:

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
With Laval 15 minutes away there is no reason for going to a 23 man roster through the season . 1 spare defenseman and forward in the press box is enough no ?
I agree. Seems like last year we were the only team with a 23/24 man roster.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Byron
Mete
Weal

At least one will be dealt. Byron would be a good player for a cap floor team as he can actually contribute on the PK and play up and down the lineup. Mete is flawed but isn't bad. He is a role player for sure. Weal is a complete enigma but is an NHLer...

Don't know who needs to add salary at this point though...

Ottawa is the only team under the floor right now. Re-signing Brown and Tierney should bring them pretty close.

I could see Byron being attractive to Ottawa. He would be a good vet in the room and is from Ottawa. Good on the PK. He could be had for pretty cheap IMO.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Ottawa is the only team under the floor right now. Re-signing Brown and Tierney should bring them pretty close.

I could see Byron being attractive to Ottawa. He would be a good vet in the room and is from Ottawa. Good on the PK. He could be had for pretty cheap IMO.
It would take a 2nd + to dump Byron due to the cap climate. Habs don’t need to dump him.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
It would take a 2nd + to dump Byron due to the cap climate. Habs don’t need to dump him.

Not dumping, selling low to Ottawa who currently need forwards and vet. They are a very very young team right now with only Nilsson and Anisimov as vets.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Not dumping, selling low to Ottawa who currently need forwards and vet. They are a very very young team right now with only Nilsson and Anisimov as vets.
Why would they trade for Byron when there way better options? Makes no sense for them.

Habs have terrific depth with

Lehkonen - Evans/Poehling-Byron on 4th line

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad