Rumor: Victor Mete + Paul Byron on the block

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
Montreal has a boatload of picks (3 in each of the 2nd/3rd/4th rounds) in the next draft, could add one to this package to increase value, Bergie loves to do that kind of thing.

Jul 6, 2016
MB would trade them to get prospects or draft picks. He has to cut a bit to fit under the cap. Byron is still a very good (but very small) forward. Not the same player since he was injured, and had to fight (and got his bell rung) last season.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Well, you need to shed salary, tanke has turned.
I rxpect Byron to be bougjt out i f noone takes him.

We cannot buy him out, the window is closed. We have no players that elected for arbitration, so we won't have the 2nd window either.

Reactions: Adityase

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Right now we’re 350, 000 over the cap . That is nothing . Byron can’t be moved without a sweetener. Possibly with a little retention and a pick . Say Byron (20%) retained and a third round pick for a 7th. If it’s not doable he’ll still just be a very good expensive 4th liner . I think you’ll see weal and a pick moved for another pick .

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Byron is a Swiss Army Knife player that scores 20 goals and plays with a lot of speed. He's small and he's 31. He'd be ideal for a cap floor team like Detroit or Ottawa. The fact he has no clauses makes it easier, but the fact that Montreal needs to move someone means the value won't be there. Paul is "worth" more than a 4th, but that's pretty much the precedent at this point when it comes to clearing cap. Anyone looking to add a quality player could do a lot worse.

Mete doesn't have much value. He's on a one year prove it deal. He's plateaued, and a fresh start may be what he needs. They'd be lucky to get a 5th imo.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Ugh, I'd prefer to keep both. Much rather move Drouin (never going to happen), Armia, Lehkonen or Kulak.

Reactions: japhi

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
We cannot buy him out, the window is closed. We have no players that elected for arbitration, so we won't have the 2nd window either.
Im supprised you could read that, My phone sure hate english :D

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Ottawa will be at 36 contracts when all their RFA are signed. Not sure they need a contract trade and we have too many bodies in the AHL right now.

What are the chances we end up having to bury Byron in the minors next season?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
All these teams over the cap, all trying to dump salary to get below the cap... And nobody stepping up to take on the cap. Meanwhile, lots of quality UFAs continue to go unsigned...

Something is gonna have to give here. The teams looking to get below the cap are really going to have to pay assets if they want to dump salary, especially when a team like Ottawa or Detroit could get quality NHL players for pennies on the dollar in free agency right now.

Reactions: My3Sons

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Just trade Danault if he doesn't wanna stay here. I dont wanna lose him next year for nothing. Let's think ahead while he still has lots of value unlike Byron lol

Reactions: Morrison

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Lol.... Mete + Byron + what of value to take these 2 off the Habs hands?

I’d take Armia back to WPG, but not with these 2 attached.
Armia + Mete might work
What would you offer for Armia + Mete?

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
Just trading Byron would be enough. 2.4 million to replace and have a 23 man roster.
Actually, trading Kulak is enough.

5ce646dfe0d88942663a665ebc8196d0.png

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
Trading Kulak gets us 850k under the cap with 13 fwd, 7D, 1 G. Not a lot of wiggle room.
True. But it can be done.

I'd personally trade Byron since he has a higher cap $ and still holds good value.

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
Just trading Byron would be enough. 2.4 million to replace and have a 23 man roster.
Easy if you type fast but substantially more difficult to achieve. He is a good player , great on pk, but is injured often. very good this last playoff and can play up and down the roster. Weal and kulak are at the highest risk. $3.2 in salary and can be replaced by $1.5. Easier fix than selling Byron who is a good player

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Capfriendly says MTL is over the cap by 353'000$, but they have 8D listed, they can simply send down Ouellet. That would only give them 1 extra D and no extra forward, but you usually have more room to play with because of players getting on the LTR. Also, they can save a little more cap space by sending Weal in the AHL for someone cheaper (Evans/Belzile were used over Weal in the playoffs).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad