Rumor: Victor Mete + Paul Byron on the block

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Moving Kulak or Lehkonen actually makes the most sense.

Mete doesn't take much cap space or save much in cap space.

Byron is likely not moveable while everyone is trying to save $$ and there are plenty of Byron-calibre UFAs available for the same price or less.

Reactions: THE HOFF

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Lol.... Mete + Byron + what of value to take these 2 off the Habs hands?

I’d take Armia back to WPG, but not with these 2 attached.
Armia + Mete might work
And with Anderson, Toffoli and Gallagher all on the RW and Caufield coming soon, that's not really out of the realm of possibility.

That would be 3.35mill in savings meaning the cap would be just under 3 million and thus provide the cushion Bergevin is looking for.

Reactions: BatVader

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Weal and Kulak make more sense. Weal could get a very late pick for a non cap constrained team or would be dumped for a late pick if there is no market.

There should be a market for Kulak who is a serviceable 3rd line Dman (and before I get roasted I am not saying he gets a 1st back or anything just saying he is an asset and not a liability)

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

euhchepas

Jan 16, 2015
we can also just put byron or kulak on waivers and be fine on the cap. no need to pay to get rid of players

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Johnsson just went for a b or c prospect?

Byron could get something similar but it's looking harder and harder to shed cap, a bunch of teams have filled out there middle 6/bottom 6 players, so he might not even get that.

Mete can be buried worst comes to worst if hes not in mtl future plans. Not sure on his actual value.
regardless of what many are writing in here..habs could find trade partners for mete and Byron. league is based on speed and both of these guys are elite skaters. Mete is a 22 y.o dman. there are buyers if he's being shopped. Byron has value too. Habs would look for picks, which is a bit ridiculous considering i think they again have 6 in the 1st 3 rounds again next year....

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
What would you be asking...let’s start there
Armia’s been great for us. Low cap hit. I don’t see what we would trade him for. That’s why, make an offer, if you want the player.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
regardless of what many are writing in here..habs could find trade partners for mete and Byron. league is based on speed and both of these guys are elite skaters. Mete is a 22 y.o dman. there are buyers if he's being shopped. Byron has value too. Habs would look for picks, which is a bit ridiculous considering i think they again have 6 in the 1st 3 rounds again next year....

You have to realize that it's a flat cap. Teams are struggling to find value for players. Byron normally would have value but now it's looking like it's not much. He could go for a mid pick or prospect or something sure. It's just tough.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
You have to realize that it's a flat cap. Teams are struggling to find value for players. Byron normally would have value but now it's looking like it's not much. He could go for a mid pick or prospect or something sure. It's just tough.
I don't disagree. I just think these players can be traded. I don't think they will get much back, but habs again have like 9 picks in first 4 rounds in 2021. I'd be reluctant to give mete away though

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
I don't disagree. I just think these players can be traded. I don't think they will get much back, but habs again have like 9 picks in first 4 rounds in 2021. I'd be reluctant to give mete away though
Fair enough. And I honestly dont know about mete. Hes not even making much. If mtl trades byron they should be cap compliant unless they dont want mete.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
I personally hope they can make it work while keeping Byron. He's kind of an all around very useful player and not too many guys can skate like that. I think he can still help this team.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
lol you're not getting Armia back

why would we dump Byron with a pick when we could just waive him (and save some cap even if someone doesn't take him)

you don't know Melnyk

we can also just put byron or kulak on waivers and be fine on the cap. no need to pay to get rid of players

Byron won't be claimed so you don't save some cap.

You put him in the minor and save 1 075 000$ but you need to replace the player by another player so you save couple hundred thousand max.

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal
Why not make 2 trades?

Byron + good pick for a 2022 7th

Then Mete for a prospect or pick or whatever to a team needing a cheap nhler with some upside?

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
Byron is a smart defensive player and can score 15 to 20 goals. He is still among the fastest skaters in the league and a real threat in a short handed situation. He's also one of the' assistant captains so he's solid in the room. Calgary regretted losing him for nothing and I think the Habs would too. Any team that gets him will appreciate what he brings to the lineup.

Reactions: Old Drunk Guy

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
I would keep Mete and waive Kulak. Quite sure he will be claimed.
Agreed. Mete is more versatile and cost effective. That's what you would want in a seventh defenseman. Kulak has value and his contract is not outrageous.

LePenseur

Nov 5, 2016
Weal traded for a late pick and Ouellet to Laval and presto Habs have a little over a million in cap space.

Armia, Byron, Lehky and Mete can stay put!

And when we go on a roadtrip with multiple back to back games( compressed season) someone get hurt, banged up, and then you start playing defenseman on the forth line or forward on third pairing because we can't call up a guy in time?

I really believe in having a 23 body roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad