Rumor: Victor Mete + Paul Byron on the block

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Why would they trade for Byron when there way better options? Makes no sense for them.

Habs have terrific depth with

Lehkonen - Evans/Poehling-Byron on 4th line

Weal and Kulak trades would barely make more space. MB said he want 1.5 million wiggle room.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
People saying these 2 have no value are kind of funny, they aren't garbage. I don't think they would return much especially in current environment but Byron is a good 3rd liner+dangerous PK'er and Mete has upside. Any team specifically looking to add SPEED would do alright with these guys, especially since they would be cheap. Montreal likes Byron but maybe the Habs' brass figures it doesn't make sense for Montreal to pay him $3.5 million for 4th line which is where he's fallen to with recent wing acquisitions.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
No interest in trading Armia. No interest in Roslovic. No room onour 4th line for him.
Roslovic should be on a scoring line. I'd rather see him with KK than a stone hands like Armia.
I am not sure why Winnipeg would want to do this deal though. Armia may be the only play the Canadiens can move.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I mean, if we swap Weal+Kulak for 700k-ish guys, we would get the wiggle room, could work.
That’s the plan.

Weal in the Ahl, Evans centering the 4th line like he did in the playins. Juulsen or Fleury in for Kulak.

Or trade Lehkonen.

euhchepas

Jan 16, 2015
Byron won't be claimed so you don't save some cap.

You put him in the minor and save 1 075 000$ but you need to replace the player by another player so you save couple hundred thousand max.
you do realize we are 300k over the cap so yes replacing 1 or 2 of byron, kulak and weal by entry level/close to league min contrats do it

and I really doubt that Byron doesn't get claimed on waivers, he's not garbage, yes 3 years is a long time but 3.4M for a 30 points elite defensive foward is good value. He's probably no longer a 20 goals scorer but he's still a very valuable player

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Mete at his salary someone will have interest in. I don't care for him but bottom pair d under 1m have value.

Byron absolutely no one is touching. At their salaries easily I would have chose C Smith or Namestnikov.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Honestly as much as I like him I could see lehkonen getting moved cause he has legit value and just replacing him with a 700k guy.

That would give us about 1.5k in space which is what Bbinz said he wants. I'd rather keep him over Byron cause of age but I think Byron may require assets to move and we could get something for Lehkonen.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Byron needs to go and the habs can add picks to make it happen. Seems a no brainer if it allows us to shore up the 4th line and give us a cap cushion.

Mete has positive value and the habs aren't really in a spot to shop one of the few guys that can skate well on our back end who also happens to be playing at league minimum. If he's traded it's because he's being added as a sweetener to one of our cap anchors like byron and/or weal.

Reactions: sergejean

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Honestly as much as I like him I could see lehkonen getting moved cause he has legit value and just replacing him with a 700k guy.

That would give us about 1.5k in space which is what Bbinz said he wants. I'd rather keep him over Byron cause of age but I think Byron may require assets to move and we could get something for Lehkonen.
If we trade Lehkonen it would have to be for picks/prospects only.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
If we trade Lehkonen it would have to be for picks/prospects only.

Or the 700k-1mil forward i was talking about. But yeah you aren't entirely wrong.

If we trade lehkonen we have 2.3mil in cap space. Then we sign or acquire 700k to 1 mil forward leaving us with 1.3 - 1.7 mil in space.

I'd rather trade Pauly but lehkonen could be the guy who has to go.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I don't understand the logic in trading Mete. There's no cap savings there. He's already right around the minimum. And for what he brings, he's an enormous value at that cap hit.

I don't get it.

Prob just putting his name out there to see if he might land MCDavid or Kucherov....you know, for cap space.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I don't understand the logic in trading Mete. There's no cap savings there. He's already right around the minimum. And for what he brings, he's an enormous value at that cap hit.

I don't get it.

I think Byron is out there for cap reasons, while Mete is out there for asset management just to see what he could bring due to the logjam on the 3rd pair. Can't see teams being very interested in the other guys.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Mete at his salary someone will have interest in. I don't care for him but bottom pair d under 1m have value.

Byron absolutely no one is touching. At their salaries easily I would have chose C Smith or Namestnikov.
Byron is better than both those players. Namestinikov.... No way.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Speedy Byron is worth something. I would NEVER give him away for free. I'd rather have him on my team than pay for another team to have him. IMO, he's one of the best at PK and an excellent bottom-6 player. I would move several players before Byron.

Reactions: BobbyShehan

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
We won't receive enough value for Byron for what he's worth. His contract isn't great too.
Mete, at 700K, is an incredible contract. We shoud keep that at all cost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad