Rumor: Victor Mete + Paul Byron on the block

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

Byron has three more years at $3.4M.

Mete has one year at $735K.

I wonder, packaged together, do these two have positive value?

Not even close IMO...
I doubt that at this point Killorn has positive value and he is >>>>> Byron IMO...
Mete does not really move the needle for anyone I would assume either...

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Not even close IMO...
I doubt that at this point Killorn has positive value and he is >>>>> Byron IMO...
Mete does not really move the needle for anyone I would assume either...

Killorn also makes 1.05 million more and has a 16 teams no trade list.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Killorn also makes 1.05 million more and has a 16 teams no trade list.

True. But I would also gladly pay Killorn an extra million for what he brings in comparison to Byron.
But in all reality no team wants to touch these longer term deals for depth players right now with a ten foot pole if they can avoid it..
I think MTL would have to sweeten the pot by quite a bit if they want to get rid off Byron or atleast take on a slightly cheaper bad contract...

Reactions: hn777

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Johnsson just went for a b or c prospect?

Byron could get something similar but it's looking harder and harder to shed cap, a bunch of teams have filled out there middle 6/bottom 6 players, so he might not even get that.

Mete can be buried worst comes to worst if hes not in mtl future plans. Not sure on his actual value.

Demon Wolf

Feb 22, 2013
I'd keep Mete for depth, he is solid. Byron had a poor season but looked his old self in the playoffs when he came back from injury. He has been really good for us and can play up and down the lineup - but this might be the time to move on.

One of the best waiver pickups in recent NHL seasons no doubt.

Reactions: dkd and Gains

Wateredgarden

Oct 10, 2020
In case that a team is looking for Jonnhy depth, because that's depth and nothing else.

Byron is still a top skater in the league.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Mete cost nothing.

Byron I imagine would cost us a 2nd to dump for a 7th, or an AHL contract. Would be nice to dump him for a skilled AHLer who isn't NHL material..

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I think we will see a ton of buyouts the moment the second window opens..
Really almost not other way out for a few teams...

I don't know about a ton. Buyouts in the second window are conditional on a player being on the team as of the last trade deadline and carrying a cap hit of $4 mil or more (Link). Montreal, for example, could only buyout Price, Weber, Petry, Drouin and Tatar. Byron isn't eligible. It's not a realistic option for the Habs.

Reactions: Adityase

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Why would they need to move Mete, literally can't make less for a bottom pairing D with some upside.

Only explanation is Byron probably has negative value.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Why would they need to move Mete, literally can't make less for a bottom pairing D with some upside.

Only explanation is Byron probably has negative value.

I think Juulsen is the plan for 7th D. But byron I think is being traded to where and for what I don't know.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Byron to Ottawa maybe?

He's from Ottawa and has a salary of 2.8M this season while his cap hit is 3.4M.

So Byron and Mete for 2 AHLer (for contract purposes)

Ottawa will be at 36 contracts when all their RFA are signed. Not sure they need a contract trade and we have too many bodies in the AHL right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->