Player Discussion Victor Mete: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DinosaurBones

Sep 18, 2018
Romanov-Brook

Future 1st pairing right there.
Personally I don't see any of our D prospects having the smarts that Mete has. And that's just his smarts, as the 2nd youngest guy on our team. Let alone his skating ability and first look. Its a very very good thing having Mete and Romonov as LD. Mete just deserves way more respect

Reactions: Fixxer and Redux91

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Personally I don't see any of our D prospects having the smarts that Mete has. And that's just his smarts, as the 2nd youngest guy on our team. Let alone his skating ability and first look. Its a very very good thing having Mete and Romonov as LD. Mete just deserves way more respect
By this time next year few will fail to see Mete as a core player on this quickly improving team.

Reactions: Redux91

DinosaurBones

Sep 18, 2018
By this time next year few will fail to see Mete as a core player on this quickly improving team.
I mean definitey opinion for some but in a league that is getting faster and being one of the faster D in the league and still unable to drink in all but 7 NHL cities. He will be apart of the D core for a long time

Reactions: Walrus26

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I mean definitey opinion for some but in a league that is getting faster and being one of the faster D in the league and still unable to drink in all but 7 NHL cities. He will be apart of the D core for a long time

Mete can only survive in his current role with a beast like Weber on his flank. His upside looks like a Spurgeon lite and Spurgeon isn't a legit top pairing dman himself.

Reactions: habsfan92

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Mete can only survive in his current role with a beast like Weber on his flank. His upside looks like a Spurgeon lite and Spurgeon isn't a legit top pairing dman himself.
Lets agree to disagree on this one, Because i think Mete does more good to Weber than the way around. Mete could me way more aggressive in the Ozone with more a mobile Dman, Everytime he joins the rush and the play dies, for example, he passes in front, Puck get a rebound, counter rush, Weber gets burned 8 times out of 10.

Reactions: dralaf

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Lets agree to disagree on this one, Because i think Mete does more good to Weber than the way around. Mete could me way more aggressive in the Ozone with more a mobile Dman, Everytime he joins the rush and the play dies, for example, he passes in front, Puck get a rebound, counter rush, Weber gets burned 8 times out of 10.

Mete is 100% useless in front of the net. He is a liability without a monster beside him. Claiming Weber relies more on Mete than vice versa is comical. I like Mete but he was bad for half the season before finally being sent to Laval to get his game together. To his credit he did turn it around but he is not a true top pairing defender and likely never will be. He can't box out attacker's in front of the net and has no reach or length to cover passing lanes with his stick. His skating obviously is a great help but he just has to be insulated with a top defender to be effective in the dzone. Weber is one of very few dmen in the league who can compliment and protect the crease well enough to allow Mete to be effective in a top pairing role. Hopefully he can gain some much needed bulk and strength because I like the way he thinks the game and he shouldn't sacrifice much speed due to his great technique.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Yes he is. Unless by "legit top pairing d-man" you mean a #1D, in which case that's a poor choice of words.

I wouldn't put him in the top 32 dmen so no, he is not a legitimate top pairing defender imo. If a ďman is not in the top 32 then he isn't good enough to play as a 1 or a 2 on more than half of the teams. After that you play top pairing due to default and/or handedness.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
Mete is a perfect 3rd pairing guy for the future.

Romanov-Brook
?????——??????
Mete - Weber

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
The real question is

??? - Weber
Romanov - Brook
Weber stays with Mete, they are perfect for each other. If anything, next year should be:

SolidD-Petry
Mete-Weber
Kulak-Brook

Mete’s job should be to protect Weber defensively for the rest of Weber’s career.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Mete is 100% useless in front of the net. He is a liability without a monster beside him. Claiming Weber relies more on Mete than vice versa is comical. I like Mete but he was bad for half the season before finally being sent to Laval to get his game together. To his credit he did turn it around but he is not a true top pairing defender and likely never will be. He can't box out attacker's in front of the net and has no reach or length to cover passing lanes with his stick. His skating obviously is a great help but he just has to be insulated with a top defender to be effective in the dzone. Weber is one of very few dmen in the league who can compliment and protect the crease well enough to allow Mete to be effective in a top pairing role. Hopefully he can gain some much needed bulk and strength because I like the way he thinks the game and he shouldn't sacrifice much speed due to his great technique.
Mete was sent down on Nov 30 - team only played 25 games at that point

habsfan92

Jun 5, 2005
winnipeg
Mete's bread and butter is his skating ability. No offense in his game and has no shot, and he struggles physically in his own end. He should be playing in Laval to improve his defensive positioning. His upside is a bottom pairing guy. Weber needs a better partner to make his pairing more effective for the minutes he can play.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Mete's bread and butter is his skating ability. No offense in his game and has no shot, and he struggles physically in his own end. He should be playing in Laval to improve his defensive positioning. His upside is a bottom pairing guy. Weber needs a better partner to make his pairing more effective for the minutes he can play.

Its a joke he played where he did all year. He has zero offensive instinct, or creativity. I hope he gets pushed to the AHL where he belongs. He makes Benn look like Brent Burns.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Mete's upside is not bottom pairing. I get your concerns in his game in terms of his weaknesses but bottom pairing at best? Come on man.

habsfan92

Jun 5, 2005
winnipeg
Yes, bottom pairing. But a regular. That's a plus. If he was smarter defensively with his stick he would be more effective & could offset his lack of size. Didn't say I hate him. He still has some developing to do-in Laval. But I think that by the time he's developed he will be overtaken by other prospects.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Yes, bottom pairing. But a regular. That's a plus. If he was smarter defensively with his stick he would be more effective & could offset his lack of size. Didn't say I hate him. He still has some developing to do-in Laval. But I think that by the time he's developed he will be overtaken by other prospects.
So he's already hit his potential?

To me, his true ceiling is a #3 D if his offense translates and a #4 if it doesn't fully.

Reactions: Fixxer

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

you really don't think a 20 year old D man can get any better? At all? When does that ever happen?

Reactions: tazsub3 and dralaf

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

He's already better than a bottom pairing dman - unless you see regression in his future at age 20.

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
Its a joke he played where he did all year. He has zero offensive instinct, or creativity. I hope he gets pushed to the AHL where he belongs. He makes Benn look like Brent Burns.
Careful you don't burn yourself on that take

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009

You are totally wrong...we definitely see things differently . Mete is MTL best defenseman is his positioning in his own zone and probably second best to get the puck out of the zone behind Petry. He's not good to clear the front of the net but that's why Weber is playing with him.

Mete is already playing like a true top4 defenseman and he's only going to get better. He won't be a big producer but I'm expecting between 20-30 points for several season starting next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad