Player Discussion Victor Mete: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I wouldn't put him in the top 32 dmen so no, he is not a legitimate top pairing defender imo. If a ďman is not in the top 32 then he isn't good enough to play as a 1 or a 2 on more than half of the teams. After that you play top pairing due to default and/or handedness.

so there are 31 teams each team has one top pairing. A pairing means 2. Therefore, if there are 31 top pairings (one per team) their are 62 (31*2) top pairing dmen in the NHL. Spurgeon is 100% a top 62 defense man in the NHL.

goforit

Apr 14, 2010
Montreal
Mete's bread and butter is his skating ability. No offense in his game and has no shot, and he struggles physically in his own end. He should be playing in Laval to improve his defensive positioning. His upside is a bottom pairing guy. Weber needs a better partner to make his pairing more effective for the minutes he can play.

What? I think you've not watch so many games this year, it's one of his strengths.

His weakness are the fact he can't push opponent off the slot and he has a bad shot, but it was becoming better at the end of the seasons.

He has a very good first pass and good instinct in the offensive zone. He's already a top4 dman.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
I wouldn't put him in the top 32 dmen so no, he is not a legitimate top pairing defender imo. If a ďman is not in the top 32 then he isn't good enough to play as a 1 or a 2 on more than half of the teams. After that you play top pairing due to default and/or handedness.
It's not like he doesn't have the stats to back up being a top 45 or so dman in the entire league. Excellent puck mover, amongst the best scoring dmen at 5v5 (and in all situations he's top 30), good defensive impact, usage, etc.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Yes, bottom pairing. But a regular. That's a plus. If he was smarter defensively with his stick he would be more effective & could offset his lack of size. Didn't say I hate him. He still has some developing to do-in Laval. But I think that by the time he's developed he will be overtaken by other prospects.

LOLOLOL WHAT?!? his speed, fast zone clearance and Stick play in the Dzone is his Best assets BY far, that itself makes him a top4 right now. people act like Mete as topped, Dmans are 90% of the time never in the NHL at his age. Kids a Gem and a habs for a very long time, his offense will eventually come. he'll easily be a 30 pts puck moving D with good defensive play and thats his floor.

habsfan92

Jun 5, 2005
winnipeg
What? I think you've not watch so many games this year, it's one of his strengths.

His weakness are the fact he can't push opponent off the slot and he has a bad shot, but it was becoming better at the end of the seasons.

He has a very good first pass and good instinct in the offensive zone. He's already a top4 dman.
Only watched 50 games or so. Defensive positioning is not only where they are on the ice but also how they position their stick defensively. As usual, every takes a literal meaning with everything & they jump all over you with the "someone doesn't watch games" b.s.
Case in point, first Toronto goal on Saturday (Hyman), that was banked off Weber's skate (and Weber had his guy tied up positioned between that Leaf and the net). Mete couldn't tie up his guy, and couldn't get a stick on that puck to prevent it from going to the net. Stuff like that needs improvement. Something that Markov was really good at while not having to be physical.
And saying he is already a top 4 dman is only relative to the poor d Montreal has. Any decent team, this guy is not in a top 4 role. Good offensive instincts? He will take the puck & skate into a corner when he jumps into the play because he doesn't have the offensive skills to do anything else with it. Mete has 12-15 points potential. All assists (unless he gets a few bounces). This is what I see, sorry you don't. If MB gets a decent left dman over the summer, Mete is in Laval.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The short amount of time in Laval did wonders for Mete. I am completely at ease when he is on the ice. He will only get better.

habsfan92

Jun 5, 2005
winnipeg
You are totally wrong...we definitely see things differently . Mete is MTL best defenseman is his positioning in his own zone and probably second best to get the puck out of the zone behind Petry. He's not good to clear the front of the net but that's why Weber is playing with him.

Mete is already playing like a true top4 defenseman and he's only going to get better. He won't be a big producer but I'm expecting between 20-30 points for several season starting next year.
Like, totally wrong? I think you are dreaming if you think this guy is gonna start producing offensively starting next season. He is Laval bound.
"He's not good to clear the front of the net but that's why Weber is playing with him." now this is a silly statement. So Weber leaves his man/position to come help Mete in front of the net? No wait, are you saying that Weber just stays in front of Price to keep the net clear & Mete chases guys around. yes?

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Only watched 50 games or so. Defensive positioning is not only where they are on the ice but also how they position their stick defensively. As usual, every takes a literal meaning with everything & they jump all over you with the "someone doesn't watch games" b.s.
Case in point, first Toronto goal on Saturday (Hyman), that was banked off Weber's skate (and Weber had his guy tied up positioned between that Leaf and the net). Mete couldn't tie up his guy, and couldn't get a stick on that puck to prevent it from going to the net. Stuff like that needs improvement. Something that Markov was really good at while not having to be physical.
And saying he is already a top 4 dman is only relative to the poor d Montreal has. Any decent team, this guy is not in a top 4 role. Good offensive instincts? He will take the puck & skate into a corner when he jumps into the play because he doesn't have the offensive skills to do anything else with it. Mete has 12-15 points potential. All assists (unless he gets a few bounces). This is what I see, sorry you don't. If MB gets a decent left dman over the summer, Mete is in Laval.
Everyone makes mistakes. Expecting a 20 year old to face top competition and be perfect every night is umrealistic.

Mete is fantastic defensively and every metric will reinforce that. He may be small but he makes up for it in other ways

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
From now on, Tim Turk is your BFF. Be near to him. Stay close to him. Don't leave him out of sight. You and him as a magnet.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
From now on, Tim Turk is your BFF. Be near to him. Stay close to him. Don't leave him out of sight. You and him as a magnet.

That, and Mete needs to continue bulking up so that he wins a few more puck battles and gets tougher to move aside in the defensive zone by bigger players. If he improves his offense and gets stronger, we've suddenly got a potential #1 defenseman in the wings already with Brook and Romanov also looking to make an impact.

Mete showed tangible progression last year playing to his strengths and that has me pretty confident about his chances of becoming a true top 4 defenseman for us. He just needs to catch a break and score his first goal and the confidence will follow, along with growth in different parts of his game.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Like, totally wrong? I think you are dreaming if you think this guy is gonna start producing offensively starting next season. He is Laval bound.
"He's not good to clear the front of the net but that's why Weber is playing with him." now this is a silly statement. So Weber leaves his man/position to come help Mete in front of the net? No wait, are you saying that Weber just stays in front of Price to keep the net clear & Mete chases guys around. yes?

You're a waste of time, no chance Mete goes back to the AHL and everybody know this except you.... He was MTL best defenceman in the last 20 games of the season and yes a 20 years old player can go from 13 pts to 20 pts in a season.

Welcome to the real word.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
You're a waste of time, no chance Mete goes back to the AHL and everybody know this except you.... He was MTL best defenceman in the last 20 games of the season and yes a 20 years old player can go from 13 pts to 20 pts in a season.

Welcome to the real word.

You're probably right. But, I would have no problem - zero, zilch, zip - with Mete spending all year in Laval next year. Look how much he learned in one week last year. In addition to bulking up, he needs to work on his passing and finishing offensive chances - not just his shot. I'm a huge Mete fan. Same with KK and Poehling. I have no problem with them playing (as in developing) in Laval.

In fact if we hit it big in the UFA market, I would build up our assets and have our waiver eligible players develop in Laval. This year KK was our 3rd best center for 2/3 of the year. If we're able to sign Kevin Hayes or Matt Duchene, all the better. Let KK develop in Laval and when he's ready to be better than one of our centers, or close to it, trade a vet for more assets (picks and prospects or help on D).

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
Mete is a great at defending and killing plays. Once the offense comes, everyone will love him. I envision that happening this upcoming season. His rush in OT gave us all an insight to what he can do. I think that because of how young he is, we haven’t seen all of his untapped potential. It’s coming. This kid is a keeper.
He is a keeper. I don’t see to much offense coming from him in the near future. But what I like about him is his ability to cover for Weber with his speed when the Captain is trying to create offense.

Reactions: Fixxer

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Mete needs to get stronger and do whatever it takes to improve his shot. I have doubts if his slapshot is above 80 miles and hour.
i honestely think his stick is a bit too long, he uses that for his lack of reach, but at the same time his speed should compensate that. he'd have much better option and control on rushes with the puck. His stick limites him to push the puck and when it comes to make a tight angle pass, it's just... nearly impossible. hence why he always tries to circle around and throw it at the net.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
i honestely think his stick is a bit too long, he uses that for his lack of reach, but at the same time his speed should compensate that. he'd have much better option and control on rushes with the puck. His stick limites him to push the puck and when it comes to make a tight angle pass, it's just... nearly impossible. hence why he always tries to circle around and throw it at the net.
His stick is actually tiny and that can weaken a shot as you cant use the lever action to shoot.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
His stick is actually tiny and that can weaken a shot as you cant use the lever action to shoot.

it looks tiny because he's small, his stick is actually realy big for him.
cut.jpg

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Damn it looks like youre right on that picture. Always seemed to have such a short stick.
like i said it's because he's small! i can tell when he's skating and pushing the puck! the worst part is the skating technique he uses is not good when you have a long stick. ( not a bad skating technique by any mean, he leans very foward to counter his weigth, wich gives him faster stride. Put that kind of technique + long stick gives you bad puck management, i've been saying for a year that his stick is too long for his style of play and the lack of reach isn't a bad since his fast as f***!

here an other example!

easy solution. cut it 2 inch, drop the flex.
mete2-610x400.jpg

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Nice work here man, you have definitely uncovered something here and it makes sense totally. It would also explain why he whiffs so often on all of the chances he has gotten. I can see why he uses it though and it is for extended reach purposes on the defensive side of the puck. He is so small that he will never beat someone physically that anything he can use to his advantage he sort of has to do it.

Reactions: HOPE

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Nice work here man, you have definitely uncovered something here and it makes sense totally. It would also explain why he whiffs so often on all of the chances he has gotten. I can see why he uses it though and it is for extended reach purposes on the defensive side of the puck. He is so small that he will never beat someone physically that anything he can use to his advantage he sort of has to do it.
Yeah taking quick shots and from different angle definitely restricts you with a long stick! In my opinion he is sacrificing ALOT just to get barely 2 inch more. Like i mentioned his skating stance doesn't fit his long stick, he would be way more dominant in the Ozone, more puck control, more options, quicker shot. His reach isn't a big deal with his good positioning and speed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->