Player Discussion Victor Mete: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saku K

AKA Saku K.
Jul 28, 2002
3-Rivières, Québec
Visit site
I like Mete, he is a top-4 on the habs because our defense is weak, hell even kulak looked great with Petry which I see as a quality 5-6. I disagree with the spurgeon and morrissey comparison. These players are 40+ points producer in the league and both own a quality shot that Mete could only dream to have. To score 40 points+ constantly you usually have to be on the first wave on the PP and I doubt he passes petry/weber right now and he would have to be the second defenseman on a 2-defenseman 3-forward PP to be able to reach the 35-assists plateau which I think would be his goal to reach the 40 points mark on a constant basis. Only 20-25 defenseman got to the 35 assists mark this year and while Mete will only improve in the future I have yet to see the stud playmaker or the big shot that you need to be on the first wave of the PP. However, I like his puck-moving and smarts for a smaller defenseman, he is very effective and could chip in between 30-40 points in the future and right now finds himself on the right side of things when he is on the ice. However, since he isn't a factor on either the PK or PP he rarely reaches the 20 minutes ice time mark and would most likely be a third pairing defenseman with upside on any decent D in the league. However there is no debate he is a nhlers and I hope the habs acquires a top-4 LD in the future and put mete on the second pairing where he belongs and plays on the second wave on the PP as early as next year. He will be a top-4 rearguard on a good d and hasn't looked out of place with weber and the future is bright in his case. It will interesting how his offense develops in the next few years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kotkaniemi15

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
In its summer's Carnevale Hockey Group League ( MAC Hockey Development), junior eligible players (1999-2003) gonna learn how to shoot or instead show to Mete how to do it :D

DinosaurBones

Sep 18, 2018
Mete can only survive in his current role with a beast like Weber on his flank. His upside looks like a Spurgeon lite and Spurgeon isn't a legit top pairing dman himself.
I never shut down other peoples opinions because that's exactly what they are. But seeing Mete play a dominate role next to Weber only gives me hope he can continue that. In every league hes played in he HAS been known to be better defensively. Can only hope that the mentorship hes getting helps him in that regard. Either way the kids a stud and id be happy with a Spurgeon and with Brook and Romeo I don't think we are far from a top 10 D core in the league. Just hope the boys keep improving. Either way very happy with what we have and the future it brings, the underdogs have brought it and I think people are seeing us

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
“There's nothing at this point we could have done... I mean we had to win more games at the beginning of the season. That's plays the only difference. No I thought everyone came out to play this season. I thought we had a really good season and we can just keep growing from it...”

“Yes, for sure I mean we learnt a lot and couple of young guys too here this year. KK, myself going to our second and third year next year. We know how to expect more and everyone would be prepared to kinda from what we did this year.”

“In the Poehling's situation it's pretty tough in your first NHL game to put up a hat-trick and then be a shootout winner. Probably the best first NHL game you can possibly play like that. It's probably really hard to do it again but he came with a lot of poise. Really focused and even in practices he was doing good. He comes in and really happy how he was rewarded.”

“Everyone were always smilling, really happy and joking around. Compared to last year, guys kinda we were off pretty early and it wasn't enjoyable to play... This year we kinda took it into the end of the season and everyone was having fun. We came from a long way. We did better than a lot of people expecting to do... Obviously, we weren't so happy about being out of the PO. But I think overall we're happy with our performance this season.”

“I think it'll be same issues... What we've now, there's expectations to make the PO next year and just kinda do the best we can. Put a lot of points this year as a team. So next year, we should win more couple of pts in our games and hopefully it'll be help us to going us there (PO).”

“I think it's great obviously I can see what kinda of environment was last year and this year. So I can compare the differences. You know you wouldn't want to have what we had last year. Now, moving forward and know what kinda of hard work you got to put in. Kinda have that feeling again, moving forward it'll be good for me...”

“It's exciting, I think we've a pretty deep prospects pool. Especially, seeing some things of what Poehling can do. It'll be a pretty special year (2019-2020).”

“I thought it was pretty good. So it kinda easy to kinda go with the flow and playing a lot I think would be benefit me now. As I know what to expect next year and hopefully kinda be putting in the same position.”

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I like Mete, he is a top-4 on the habs because our defense is weak, hell even kulak looked great with Petry which I see as a quality 5-6. I disagree with the spurgeon and morrissey comparison. These players are 40+ points producer in the league and both own a quality shot that Mete could only dream to have. To score 40 points+ constantly you usually have to be on the first wave on the PP and I doubt he passes petry/weber right now and he would have to be the second defenseman on a 2-defenseman 3-forward PP to be able to reach the 35-assists plateau which I think would be his goal to reach the 40 points mark on a constant basis. Only 20-25 defenseman got to the 35 assists mark this year and while Mete will only improve in the future I have yet to see the stud playmaker or the big shot that you need to be on the first wave of the PP. However, I like his puck-moving and smarts for a smaller defenseman, he is very effective and could chip in between 30-40 points in the future and right now finds himself on the right side of things when he is on the ice. However, since he isn't a factor on either the PK or PP he rarely reaches the 20 minutes ice time mark and would most likely be a third pairing defenseman with upside on any decent D in the league. However there is no debate he is a nhlers and I hope the habs acquires a top-4 LD in the future and put mete on the second pairing where he belongs and plays on the second wave on the PP as early as next year. He will be a top-4 rearguard on a good d and hasn't looked out of place with weber and the future is bright in his case. It will interesting how his offense develops in the next few years.

was just listening to the habs year end clear out session that's in the tsn690 archives.

Mete was interviewed and said he wants to work really hard because he sees himself becoming a 1 or 2 defenseman and he's going to work really hard in the offseason to get there.

I certainly like his gusto. I do believe there's a CHANCE he starts to produce eventually offensively when he gets bigger and that much more comfortable in the NHL.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
was just listening to the habs year end clear out session that's in the tsn690 archives.

Mete was interviewed and said he wants to work really hard because he sees himself becoming a 1 or 2 defenseman and he's going to work really hard in the offseason to get there.

I certainly like his gusto. I do believe there's a CHANCE he starts to produce eventually offensively when he gets bigger and that much more comfortable in the NHL.
He can be a top pairing guy. He's smart and possibly the best skater in the league. A half decent shot and a bit more muscle and he could be top pair material.

I like how quickly he's improving and it doesn't look like he's losing sleep over that first goal.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Supposedly, he'll work with Tim Turk this summer to work on his shot and re-learn the mechanics. Gallagher did the same a few years after being drafted. Curious to see if it pays off. 5 goals + 30 assists would be solid production for him.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
He skates nicely, but NHL hockey is a contact sport. He can't stop anyone and his shooting is unimpressive. The Habs need better. It's dubious that they'll find it with 15th draft choice. Maybe Bergevin can find a trade partner in a multiplayer swap. I wouldn't weep if mete is lost in the nexy expansion draft.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He skates nicely, but NHL hockey is a contact sport. He can't stop anyone and his shooting is unimpressive. The Habs need better. It's dubious that they'll find it with 15th draft choice. Maybe Bergevin can find a trade partner in a multiplayer swap. I wouldn't weep if mete is lost in the nexy expansion draft.

I had the same concerns about Mete's game to start the year. However, he is addressing my concerns as time moves forward. I think you need to watch his defensive play a bit more closer. Yeah, he gets moved off the puck at times (So does Weber and Petry) but his body position and lower body strength is actually really good. I've seen him neutralize some pretty good players along the boards and he keeps surprising me.

This kid is good. A keeper and he is only getting better. A great fit with Weber for the next 2 to 4 years.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I had the same concerns about Mete's game to start the year. However, he is addressing my concerns as time moves forward. I think you need to watch his defensive play a bit more closer. Yeah, he gets moved off the puck at times (So does Weber and Petry) but his body position and lower body strength is actually really good. I've seen him neutralize some pretty good players along the boards and he keeps surprising me.

This kid is good. A keeper and he is only getting better. A great fit with Weber for the next 2 to 4 years.

The stint in Laval benefited him tremendously.Just has to work on some sort of a shot now,should be possible no?

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
The stint in Laval benefited him tremendously.Just has to work on some sort of a shot now,should be possible no?

I think an extended stay, maybe potting a few more goals, would have done his development wonders.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
The Mete hate is like the pinnacle of Habs fan idiocy.

I really think it does make me the angriest. I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone. I didn't get to see a ton this year down the stretch but every game I saw he had at least a few fantastic rushes at 20 FREAKING YEARS OLD!!! He's not Kulak's age ffs.

Love that he sees himself as a #1 or #2. Forget about top pairing, I will not write him off being a #1. Top pairing's a lay up at this point.

You don't make the NHL that young regardless of how bad your teams D is and do as well as he's done and not be something pretty freaking good.

With him and Romanov tbh I don't care about signing or drafting an LD. I'm obviously not opposed to getting an LD and of course there are no sure things especially when it comes to us but I feel good enough about those 2 that LD isn't the priority it is for others.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I really don't get how people can watch mete and not be impressed with what an undersized 20 year old is able to do. Go see the advanced metrics if you want further proof. And no, he isn't getting carried by Weber. They're both playing well.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I really don't get how people can watch mete and not be impressed with what an undersized 20 year old is able to do. Go see the advanced metrics if you want further proof. And no, he isn't getting carried by Weber. They're both playing well.
Because being a 20yo in the NHL isn't as impressive as it once was. Not to say he hasn't played some great defensive hockey. He moves and reads plays well, his offensive game is lacking though. He really needs to figure out how to finish plays.

Reactions: Guns n Roses

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Because being a 20yo in the NHL isn't as impressive as it once was. Not to say he hasn't played some great defensive hockey. He moves and reads plays well, his offensive game is lacking though. He really needs to figure out how to finish plays.
I completely agree. He needs to figure out how to put the puck in the back of the net. With all the quality chances he gets he should be able to score 7 or 8 goals a year at least.

It's pretty rare to see a 20 year old NHL dman still. At least to see one that can handle first line duties and not look out of place.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

It was a wake up call for Mete when he got sent down. He came back a different man. His shot is not terrible but it's not a threat to score that's for sure. We will see how much he works at his game and improving in some areas.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He's clearly an NHLer but I still don't think with this team at least that we could ever contend for a cup or be a top team if he's on our top pairing and producing so little. He did take a step forward this year and he's still so young that there's no reason why over the next several years he can't take several steps forward.

You look at Kulak who put up a solid .3 ppg which over 82 is 24 pts, if he could get around that number, which I think he can in time then that would bode well for him and us. Mete had a .18 ppg this year after getting a .14 last year and had the same TOI as Kulak (though I can't say about PP since I didn't see enough games and I don't feel like looking it up)

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Mete scored many goals (objectives). Started from being largely undevelopped. Why are you excluding it intentionally... They botched him. Even me who was thrilled to see him with the first team, it's true. I knew it deep inside me that's a rushing stuff who's not on his advantage.

Despite of that showing up promising things. That he had a brighter future on his destiny. It's not that Mete's final version you'll see from him from the next seasons. Assuredly assured by what I'm saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad