Player Discussion Victor Mete: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Who had more points and goals at D+1? Who was 2 full levels higher at D+2? Who was in the better league at D+3?

Where's your evidence that PK was better than Mete at the same age?

Subban had more points but in more games, less goals. Subban broke out in a major way in his final OHL season. He went from 46 to 76 pts in 2 less games.

What do you think Mete does better then Subban at the same age? skating of course but what else? Subban clearly had the better shot, he had great lower body strength, speed, Mete's smart, sound positionally, one of the best skaters i've ever seen but he's got the build of a 12 year old.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Subban was better than Mete at 20 no doubt but Mete could become a gem just like PK. Mete does all the right things but without a shot, he isn't much of a threat offensively. That could change if he rectifies this issue.

Mete is just such a great skater that he can afford to take risks without much consequence. That is just huge for a dman. Possibly the most agile skater I've ever seen and extremely fast.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
It's like people forgot what a 20yr old PK, with practically zero NHL experience, did in the playoffs that year he got called up. That was the best Habs rookie debut I've ever seen.

Don't get me wrong I like Mete but I highly doubt he'll have as strong an impact. We should have a pretty good idea in a few months.

Last edited:

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Subban had more points but in more games, less goals. Subban broke out in a major way in his final OHL season. He went from 46 to 76 pts in 2 less games.

What do you think Mete does better then Subban at the same age? skating of course but what else? Subban clearly had the better shot, he had great lower body strength, speed, Mete's smart, sound positionally, one of the best skaters i've ever seen but he's got the build of a 12 year old.

Really just NHL readiness. Yes in many individual areas PK was better but I still think Mete has shown more in the NHL. I've said that is debatable. I'm not too hard line about it.

My point is that Mete's accomplished more and step by step since the draft he's actually produced better and has achieved more. Even with the variables as having a weak D and having Weber as a partner I still think Mete looks more pro ready than PK did. Mete's treated like a bum and when you see both side by side and what they accomplished I just don't get why people are so hard on the kid.

It's like people forgot what a 20yr old PK, with practically zero NHL experience, did in the playoffs that year he got called up. That was the best Habs rookie debut I've ever seen.

Don't get me wrong I like Mete but I highly doubt he'll have as strong an impact. We should have a pretty good idea in a few months.

PK made some big leaps in his game in the playoffs. I don't forget. I mentioned that already. I should've been more precise at the same age and at the same time.

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
IMO, Mete is the most skilled player in the NHL with 0 goals to show.
This kid is pure talent. With a little puck luck, he could have had 7-8 goals this season.
Can’t wait to see how he performs in playoffs when push comes to shove.

Reactions: Fixxer and dralaf

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Really just NHL readiness. Yes in many individual areas PK was better but I still think Mete has shown more in the NHL. I've said that is debatable. I'm not too hard line about it.

My point is that Mete's accomplished more and step by step since the draft he's actually produced better and has achieved more. Even with the variables as having a weak D and having Weber as a partner I still think Mete looks more pro ready than PK did. Mete's treated like a bum and when you see both side by side and what they accomplished I just don't get why people are so hard on the kid.

The only thing I see Mete being better is the skating, maybe defensive positioning as Subban took more chances early on and at times would get burned but I just don't see Mete as even close to Subban's talent/skill. The confidence alone puts Subban ahead as he would try and do things Mete wouldn't. But then you add in the physical differences, Subban with his lower body strength and overall strength just made him a beast out there. I mean we are talking about one of the top defensemen in the NHL.

I would be thrilled if Mete can be half that but I'm just not sold as he lacks the shot, the strength, mass, and I really don't know how much offensive skill he has as I think he has been handled poorly and should have been in the OHL last year and the AHL this year but now we just have to see how much can he progress each year.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Just how tiny IS Mete exactly ? Even Peca looks big standing next to him.
DzO_38iV4AAbg1l.jpg

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
The kid has definitely taken his game up a notch. He is so fun to watch. The confidence is definitely there. He is still unafraid to join the rush and sometimes carry the puck deep into the zone. And his defensive game has improved immensely. His stick is real active and he closes in on the puck carrier much quicker.

When he was sent down to Laval, he was asked what Julien asked him to work on. He said the defensive side of his game. Bouchard had echoed the same thing when he was asked, as well. It's fair to say that it's mission accomplished.

He's gotten so close to scoring on many occasions. If he converted half of those high danger chances, he'd have 5-6 goals by now. That will come eventually. I'm very curious to see that after he does score his first goal, if any "flood gates" open. And I put the words flood gate in quotations because we know he won't go on a goal scoring tear, but just enough to score more often.

Either way, Mete is a lot of fun to watch right now.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
(French/Français) - 12:41, talks about Mete. 13:27... the only thing missing for Mete...

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Mete has played 46 games, has only 8 pts yet is +19. He gets 51% D zone starts too, so he's not being protected out there.

Defensively, he's getting better and I love when he joins the rush. He's such a great skater. Has a muffin of a shot though, so he's not going to score a lot from the blueline. Wrist shot is ok.

There's room for improvement offensively. He has the skating and hands to get 30+ assists a season.

He's a legit top 4D already and our D was slow and sucked without him.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Mete has played 46 games, has only 8 pts yet is +19. He gets 51% D zone starts too, so he's not being protected out there.

Defensively, he's getting better and I love when he joins the rush. He's such a great skater. Has a muffin of a shot though, so he's not going to score a lot from the blueline. Wrist shot is ok.

There's room for improvement offensively. He has the skating and hands to get 30+ assists a season.

Since december 31 hes at 14 goala for and 5 against, he has the 2nd most ES ice time, 50%+ Dzone starts and he has the best high danger chances of any D.

Kids good.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

He'll need to start converting his chances to goals if he wants to take that next step forward. That, or he needs to become a top notch passer/QB.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Mete is very intelligent on the ice, hockey IQ in all 3 zones is refined, don't have to speak about his skating cause it's top notch, isn't scared about getting hit, and seems to be a great character on and off the ice.

But I'm glad people finally don't call him an offensive dman anymore. Cause he isn't, and pretty much never was. He's a pure 2-way D.

And that's fine !

Does the job with Weber, can eat big minutes, his short stint in Laval helped him reconsider things.

But we sure need a more skilled dman for the 1st pair to play with Weber, and slot Mete on the 2nd pairing, perfect place for him.

And it's nothing against Mete, I just don't see 1st pairing material, he's there for the same reason Emelin was there when he was with us, we have no one else who can eat minutes without being a liability.

Reactions: Runner77

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013
IMO, Mete is the most skilled player in the NHL with 0 goals to show.
This kid is pure talent. With a little puck luck, he could have had 7-8 goals this season.
Can’t wait to see how he performs in playoffs when push comes to shove.

Does not agree. This guy has a muffin of shot. No flavor, we're talking bran muffins here. Its worse than Scott Gomez post 2010. But he can skate and he plays against the best players night in and night out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->