Player Discussion Victor Mete: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I am expecting a breakout year from Mete this season. He has become one of our most reliable Dmen and I think he takes major steps this season.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
He’s very reliable defensively which is a facet of his game that will allow him to stay in the NHL for a long time.

What will be the factor in determining if he’s a first pairing D or a lesser pairing D is the ability to rack up points.

I don’t see a problem either way, he’s going to be with us for a long time.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Mete converts defensive chances at an incredible rate but his offensive production is never going to catch up, he reminds me of Danault but he has a bit better senses offensively.

Jul 6, 2016
Mete converts defensive chances at an incredible rate but his offensive production is never going to catch up, he reminds me of Danault but he has a bit better senses offensively.

You are really obsessed with Danault ? Aren't you ? It is getting ridiculous.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
I sconsider him to be too small to be a NHL defenseman. He can't check onrushing forwards. They'll brush by him. Moreover, his shot is pathetically weak.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
I sconsider him to be too small to be a NHL defenseman. He can't check onrushing forwards. They'll brush by him. Moreover, his shot is pathetically weak.
I found him a little bigger, stronger.. a little slower but a harder shot.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Mete will never be selected as an all-star. Will the Habs ever get a good new Dman? I look forward to seeing Jayden Struble after he leaves college.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
To those that think Mete is a top 4 dman, I don't know what the **** you are smoking.

He has the tools to develop into one... Not his fault MB's incompetence has made him the best LD on an NHL roster when he really should be playing a bottom pairing role, next to a reliable vet, and allowed to grow his game & confidence relatively "sheltered" vs being used on a top pairing with a partner that isn't nearly good enough to be carrying a first pairing.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He is now 5th all time in games played to start a career without a goal. He can pass Tony Twist for 4th all time in a couple of weeks.

The all time leader is David Hale with 215 games played before scoring his 1st career goal

Player Season Finder | Hockey-Reference.com

Eerie thought -- three of the players listed in the top 10 are or were Habs. Mete, Gordie Dwyer and Mike Weaver.

Reactions: ArtPeur

hotcarle

Jul 10, 2009
vd, qc, ca
Eerie thought -- three of the players listed in the top 10 are or were Habs. Mete, Gordie Dwyer and Mike Weaver.
Weaver was a great 5-6 guy. We knew he was that.

Mete just doesn't have an nhl shot. This will limit his effectiveness. The other team can cheat, knowing he doesn't need to be covered as much. He's a great skater, good passer. He's an nhl defenseman, just not an offensive goal threat.

Dwyer was just a good we got off waivers. Back in the pre-cap era when that's all we would be able to acquire.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I still feel he was rushed. He needed to work at translating at least a minimal amount of offense. He's just so bad offensively that its hurting the team. He's Thompson, but on a first pair.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I still feel he was rushed. He needed to work at translating at least a minimal amount of offense. He's just so bad offensively that its hurting the team. He's Thompson, but on a first pair.
Even if he was rushed, he should know that dmen need to shoot in order to create scoring chances. He isnt doing that at all.

Reactions: Tyson

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Even if he was rushed, he should know that dmen need to shoot in order to create scoring chances. He isnt doing that at all.

The problem is he's been put into a first pairing role with Weber which puts pressure on him not to make any mistakes. He's not taking the chances he needs to develop his offense.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I'm not even worried about his offense right now. He's only 21. If he can keep up defensively (break up plays, not get beat one on one, be quick to pucks and get it to the forwards, tie his man's stick up in front of the net, etc...) he's an asset. If not, that's a problem.

I have a feeling the offense will come when he's not so focused on making sure he's sound defensively - which should be the focus.

Reactions: larrypacman8167

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
The problem is he's been put into a first pairing role with Weber which puts pressure on him not to make any mistakes. He's not taking the chances he needs to develop his offense.
I dont see it that way, at least not offensively. Every time we are in the offensive zone, the other team is always covering Weber. Mostly because his shot is a threat, but they also know that Mete doesnt do anything with the puck. I dont even think Mete needs to start becoming a goalscoring defenseman or anything, but any dman would keep shooting the puck(assuming no passes are available). Especially when he has more time since the other teams players are focusing on Weber. Shooting the puck in those situations would result in opportunities through rebounds and might even score a few goals with proper screening.

Reactions: Archijerej

TheGoalJudge

Feb 12, 2007
At 21 years old, you should be able to safely project him as a #3 or #4 long-term. This is the type of guy you sign to a sweetheart long-term deal because his lack of offence hurts his bargaining power.

Reactions: DangerDave

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
So Mete was great yesterday, but its much cooler to crap on him when Papa Webs has a bad game and Mete has to cover for the 35 years old, amirite?
So many hot takes around here. The pair were excellent all year last year. They struggle in a couple October contests ( name me one duo who hasn't) and how quickly they forget.

Mete and Weber were fire last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad