Player Discussion Victor Mete: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
So many hot takes around here. The pair were excellent all year last year. They struggle in a couple October contests ( name me one duo who hasn't) and how quickly they forget.

Mete and Weber were fire last night.

People were crapping on him against DET and I only saw the first 2 periods but I'm like 'wow is anyone better on this team at transition/rushing the puck than Mete' an then I come on here and people are all like he's barely an NHLer lol. I saw a few defensive lapses but yeah again I don't get the Mete hate at all.

I can totally be wrong but I think he's great. Didn't get to see last night's game which is too bad. The offensive production might not come but this kid's a great asset.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
People were crapping on him against DET and I only saw the first 2 periods but I'm like 'wow is anyone better on this team at transition/rushing the puck than Mete' an then I come on here and people are all like he's barely an NHLer lol. I saw a few defensive lapses but yeah again I don't get the Mete hate at all.

I can totally be wrong but I think he's great. Didn't get to see last night's game which is too bad. The offensive production might not come but this kid's a great asset.

I've been seeing the same thing as you. But I'm not able to watch the full 60 minutes these days, so maybe I'm missing the bad parts.

His speed allows him to get back into position and to be first on pucks, in addition to rushing the puck out of the zone and into the offensive zone.

Looks good to me.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O

Yeah I dont know where it comes from. He's made some mistakes but I think he looks good overall. Elite gap control, puck pursuit and breakouts.

paddy

Aug 2, 2005
More alarming than the lack of goals of ability to shoot decently, is that he is not creating anything offensively. An offensive defenseman, even if he doesn't have a good shot, creates things with vision and passing. He hasn't shown anything of those.

Right now, he just looks like a faster but less physical Bouillon.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
More alarming than the lack of goals of ability to shoot decently, is that he is not creating anything offensively. An offensive defenseman, even if he doesn't have a good shot, creates things with vision and passing. He hasn't shown anything of those.

Hes not an offensive defenseman, here I just worked out the problem you had.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O

He creates offense with his crisp breakouts and transition game. It doesn't always show up on the score sheet but that pair's possession metrics were among the best in the league.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I wouldn't call Mete an offensive defenceman, as he doesn't have the puck skills, craftiness and vision to be one. I think offensively the ceiling for him is around 5 goals (off counterattacks and backdoor plays) and 25 points (with a large proportion of secondary assists) in an average season, while constantly driving your transition game. Defensively, he's got the ability to be a very good defender outside the blueline and against the rush. He'll always struggle breaking up the cycle and neutralizing his man in front of the net. Overall, if he reaches his full potential, he'll turn out to be a pretty sweet 4th round pick. One just has to have realistic expectations.

Last edited:

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Mete takes initiatives. It's greatly appreciated. Shouldn't multi-tasking himself tho. Mainly on things he ain't qualified to do. He's what he's.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
People hear that we invested a 4th round pick on him and compare that to what other teams have been able to snatch since the lockout with a 4th pick, such as Nik Backstrom, Seth Jones, Brady Tkachuk or Mitch Marner.
I think because he was kept with the Habs pretty early (at 19 I believe), expectations are high. You usually are a point getter. Not all the time, but expectations are often of exceptional talent for being in the big show early. He was a perfect fit for Weber, has great speed, good hockey IQ I believe (defensively anyway). Great in transition defense to offense. He's a good kid, dedicated to the team. He hasn't looked out of place in a long time. Didn't need much time in Laval.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The problem is he's been put into a first pairing role with Weber which puts pressure on him not to make any mistakes. He's not taking the chances he needs to develop his offense.

And yet so many posts about how those 7 games with Bouchard turned him around. Followed by the shooting lessons this past summer.

He's playing a role he's not suited for at this time. What should the Habs do? It's not as if they have anyone ready to step in as a first pairing D on the left side.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
And yet so many posts about how those 7 games with Bouchard turned him around. Followed by the shooting lessons this past summer.

He's playing a role he's not suited for at this time. What should the Habs do? It's not as if they have anyone ready to step in as a first pairing D on the left side.
I dont know what people saw that was so different in his game. He looks the same as he did in his first game to me. Great skater, can move the puck well, but no real impressive vision, average shot at best...plays a good position game in his own end.
This was from his first games here....127 games later, same report.

Reactions: Runner77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->