Vezina Finalists: Ben Bishop (DAL), Robin Lehner (NYI), Andrei Vasilevskiy (TBL)

Vaporwave

Jan 19, 2019
Its ridiculous. Lehner is good but hes clearly a product of Trotz and the team defense, as evidenced by his backups numbers.
Yeah, clearly only that.

The man just had one of the best series, 4-0 1.47GA, 956 sv%, over 30 shots against each game...he was unreal. Backing up his stellar reg season.

Andersen gave up 6 goals in a game vs BOS. Lehner gave up 6 GA all series vs a better offensive team.

Kunta Kinte

Nov 10, 2011
This just reads as "waaa my goalie should've won".

Price wasn't even top 10 in GA or SV% for goalies with over 30 games played. Not his year, move on.

30 games played out of 82. Why use 30 games for stats...its a small sample size.

Try with goaler over 50 games again and come back to me with his ranking, mk?

Watch the Vezina finalist over the years amout of game played...

If your team play the back up just as much as the starter, you dont deserve it. Plenty of case where goalie had great number over the years but not enough game played never got the nod.. Why this year? Hence, the weakeast group ever.

Find me a year, lockout aside, where a goaler with 27 wins won the Vezina? I'll wait..

Last time I remember a goaler with 40 games winning it was a 18 years goalie who shocked the hockey world. Thats about it, no other did it.

Reactions: Gains

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
And that doesn't make sense to me either.

I'm okay with Price not being nominated but Kuemper should probably have gotten a nod. Strong numbers on a bad team and he at least has enough starts.

Bishop's numbers were just too good to ignore.
I agree. Kuemper should've gotten the nod over Lehner for me. I think Lehner's narrative earned him a lot more attention and therefore votes, though.

I still think it's Vasi's to lose, but this year seems pretty wide open.
In the last 20 years (any maybe even more) only Luongo in 2004 and Bobrovsky in 2013 made the top-3 on a non-playoff team. Bobrovsky won it in 2013 in the 48 game season.

So I wasn't surprised they'd miss out. But they also haven't given a guy with under 53 games played a top-3 vote in the last (At least) 20 years, other than Kiprusoff in 2004. Not until this year.

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

Kunta Kinte

Nov 10, 2011
Yeah, clearly only that.

The man just had one of the best series, 4-0 1.47GA, 956 sv%, over 30 shots against each game...he was unreal. Backing up his stellar reg season.

Andersen gave up 6 goals in a game vs BOS. Lehner gave up 6 GA all series vs a better offensive team.

Greiss had the exact same number has Lenher... and games too...

1200 saves ?
2600 minutes ?

Thats lowering the standard for the trophy.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
30 games played out of 82. Why use 30 games for stats...its a small sample size.

If your team play the back up just as much as the starter, you dont deserve it. Plenty of case where goalie had great number over the years but not enough game played never got the nod.. Why this year? Hence, the weakeast group ever.

Find me a year, lockout aside, where a goaler with 27 wins won the Vezina? I'll wait..

Last time I remember a goaler with 40 games winning it was a 18 years goalie who shocked the hockey world. Thats about it, no other did it.
It was a weird year. Outside of Vasilevskiy, there wasn't any goalie that played over 50 games that even had a .920% or better save percentage, aside from maybe Kuemper and his team missed the playoffs, so he wasn't gonna get a finalist vote.

I was actually thinking they would give the third spot to a guy like Fleury or Rinne with Vasilevskiy and Andersen being the first two, but even Andersen didn't get a top-3 finish.

I'm fine with Lehner and Bishop getting those spots, but I swore they wouldn't, just because you don't see guys that play under 50 games come in the top-3. But most of the other options they could have used either didn't have that high of a save percentage or they were on non-playoff making teams.

Vaporwave

Jan 19, 2019

I just ran it with min 40 games played and Price was 10th in both GA and sv%.

You think that deserves a nomination? Didn't think so.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yeah, clearly only that.

Great comparables.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Greiss had the exact same number has Lenher... and games too...

1200 saves ?
2600 minutes ?

Thats lowering the standard for the trophy.

No that is incorrect. Bishop and Lehners numbers are almost identical. Including facing the same number of shots against. Same amount of games played.
No one is lowering the standards. And while Vaz was awful in the playoffs both Bishop and Lehner are leading their teams to victory. Now this is a regular season award so Vasilevsky wins out on games played and such but also played with the better team stat wise. Wins should not matter much at all because that's a team award. And it's not like Andrei played in an inordinate amount of games than the aforementioned.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

Kunta Kinte

Nov 10, 2011

Why you ran it with 40 games ? Still not an amount of game of Vezina trophy winner... Try 50...ahhh I see why you won't post... Because you tried it and saw the results eh?

I don't think there was a better goaltender in 2019 that Carey Price. So yeah I think he deserved a nomination. Didn't make the playoffs, team had 44 wins. Avs are in 2nd round with 38 wins. So the whole playoff or not aspect I don't understand it for the Vezina. Bobrov won it without making it.

Here just for you, I'll run it down cuz you shy.

50 games:

GAA: 4th
Save%: 4th

There was 19 goalies with 50+ games this year.

Bishop and Lehner weren't among these.

Bishop and Lehner are 21st and 22nd int he NHL for save made. 22 and 23 for shot against.

Bishop is 22 and Lehner 24 for time on ice.

Out of 31 starter (cuz u know 31 team. hence 31 #1) they are freaking low.

Workload has always been taken into consideration for that trophy. Nitpicking goalie had not above of ,920 save %... Are we really going to say that the difference bwteen ,918 and ,920 is significant when you play 60-65games?

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
No that is incorrect. Bishop and Lehners numbers are almost identical.

I was going to say .15 GAA and .004 SV% differences aren't really "almost identical", but the only difference in 6 goals and about a period of play. I wouldn't have thought that few goals would make a difference like that.

Comparing Greiss and Khudobin tells a different story, though.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

A goalie with a .918% save percentage in 66 games is worth more to me than say a guy that has a .925% save percentage in 45 games played.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Vaporwave

Jan 19, 2019
Why you ran it with 40 games ? Still not an amount of game of Vezina trophy winner... Try 50...ahhh I see why you won't post... Because you tried it and saw the results eh?

I don't think there was a better goaltender in 2019 that Carey Price. So yeah I think he deserved a nomination. Didn't make the playoffs, team had 44 wins. Avs are in 2nd round with 38 wins. So the whole playoff or not aspect I don't understand it for the Vezina. Bobrov won it without making it.

Here just for you, I'll run it down cuz you shy.

50 games:

GAA: 4th
Save%: 4th

There was 19 goalies with 50+ games this year.

Bishop and Lehner weren't among these.

Bishop and Lehner are 21st and 22nd int he NHL for save made. 22 and 23 for shot against.

Bishop is 22 and Lehner 24 for time on ice.

Out of 31 starter (cuz u know 31 team. hence 31 #1) they are freaking low.

Workload has always been taken into consideration for that trophy. Nitpicking goalie had not above of ,920 save %... Are we really going to say that the difference bwteen ,918 and ,920 is significant when you play 60-65games?
Why are you trying so hard?

I don't know what to tell you. Price and Andersen have no bearing on the Vezina this year. Write a letter to the NHL.

Vaporwave

Jan 19, 2019
A goalie with a .918% save percentage in 66 games is worth more to me than say a guy that has a .925% save percentage in 45 games played.
And two goalies with a .930 and .927 are worth more to me than a guy with .918 and 66 games. Not rocket science.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

Vaporwave

Jan 19, 2019

?

I did.

Told you that only Kuemper and Vasi had respectable numbers over 50 GP.

Done here. Enjoy the summer:)

btw, the numbers say Bishop should win. Again, very pleased that Lehner got the respect he deserved.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad