Vezina Finalists: Ben Bishop (DAL), Robin Lehner (NYI), Andrei Vasilevskiy (TBL)

Phaneufed

We The North
Dec 24, 2006
Calgary
Andersen robbed

edit: I take this back, based off how well he played whenever I watched him / how his stats were in the first half of the season I assumed his stats were way better than they were :laugh: !! Surprised about Lehner regardless but happy for him after what he’s been thru!

Last edited:

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I think he was good enough for a nomination for the first 3/4 of the season but didn’t have a great last 1/4.

To say he was robbed after finishing with a 2.77 GAA and a .917 SV% is ridiculous. Especially in comparison to the numbers these three finalists finished with.

Freddie played 60 games compared to these guys 45. So they literally played 3/4 as much as him. So he would've been a Vezina candidate if he stopped playing 15 games earlier?

I think all three of these goalies were fantastic this year, but only one of the 3 nominees playing over 50 games seems crazy to me.

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Seems about right. Freddy’s final month cost him the nomination.

I think Ben Bishop wins honestly. His numbers are amazing for playing on a team that barely got in

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Freddie played 60 games compared to these guys 45. So they literally played 3/4 as much as him. So he would've been a Vezina candidate if he stopped playing 15 games earlier?

I think all three of these goalies were fantastic this year, but none of them playing 50 games and being the 3 nominees seems crazy to me.

Carey Price finished with essentially identical numbers (Prices are a hair better actually) and played 66 games.

So should Price win the Vezina?

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014

I think all three of these goalies were fantastic this year, but none of them playing 50 games and being the 3 nominees seems crazy to me.
Yes, probably if he played only the first 3/4 of the season he would’ve been nominated based on numbers.

Even if someone feels he could’ve garnered a nomination, the notion that he was flat out robbed (which was the post I responded to) which the numbers he finished with is ridiculous.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Andersen robbed

edit: I take this back, based off how well he played whenever I watched him / how his stats were in the first half of the season I assumed his stats were way better than they were :laugh: !! Surprised about Lehner regardless but happy for him after what he’s been thru!
Well yeah that's like saying John Gibson was robbed.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
As an islanders fan I’m absolutely happy for Lehner to be nominated!! It’s awsosme to see but he won’t win. Just doesn’t have enough games played.

* Edit*. I still think it will go do Bishop or Vasi but I didn’t realize they all were close in games played.

What happened to goalies playing 60+ games? Lol

Maybe the formula is more rest and being fresh.

Last edited:

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Carey Price finished with essentially identical numbers (Prices are a hair better actually) and played 66 games.

So should Price win the Vezina?

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I am not saying Freddie should win. Just that playing only 40ish games (aka half the year) and being nominated for the goalie of the year seems weird to me.

Freddie was in the top 5 range for me, not sure where he is in the top 5.

Just like a forward winning MVP despite not playing for 20+ games.

Reactions: Mats13

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The Canadiens and Coyotes not making the playoffs cost Price and Kuemper a spot. I'm surprised no Frederik Andersen. I guess the last few weeks of the season took him out of it.

This is the first time since 2004 that a goalie with fewer than 53 games played made the top-3 Vezina finalists in an 82 game season and this year two guys made it and Vasilevskiy only played 53 games himself. Kiprusoff in 2004 was the last one and he only played 37 or 38 games.

In this case, all bets are off. Lehner or Bishop might actually win it. I thought Vasilevskiy would win it, due to the other two not even getting a finalist spot because of games played.

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I'll admit that I'm a bit surprised to see Lehner as a nominee. His GAA, save percentage, and shutout totals are stellar, but he only played 46 games and had just 25 wins. That's got to be one of the lowest wins/games played totals for a Vezina nominee in recent history.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad