Vezina Finalists: Ben Bishop (DAL), Robin Lehner (NYI), Andrei Vasilevskiy (TBL)

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Again, what goalies are being compared here? Price and who? Or are more statistics being made up?
The poster I was replying to said that Price being 10th in save percentage out of goalies with a minimum of 40 games wasn't enough for a Vezina nomination.

But Price at .918% with 66 games played is worth more to me than a guy like Greiss and his 43 games of .927% or Khudobin and his 41 games of .923% or Halak and his 40 games of .922%.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
The poster I was replying to said that Price being 10th in save percentage out of goalies with a minimum of 40 games wasn't enough for a Vezina nomination.

But Price at .918% with 66 games played is worth more to me than a guy like Greiss and his 43 games of .927% or Khudobin and his 41 games of .923% or Halak and his 40 games of .922%.

Okay. I'd agree with this. I thought you were mentioning one specific goalie.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
And two goalies with a .930 and .927 are worth more to me than a guy with .918 and 66 games. Not rocket science.
I'm fine with Bishop and Lehner getting them because they hit .930%, but there's no way I'd give any of Greiss, Khudobin or Halak a vote over Price.

I probably would for Kuemper though.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Why are we making up stats? Why not compare actual stats from this season?

Just pulled some stats out of the air to make a point. I haven't followed the race closely and couldn't be bothered to look it up.

Since the lockout, no goalie with a SV% below .920 has won the Vezina. Only two goalies with more than 50 GP have a SV% higher than that. One of them is nominated for the Vezina, and the other probably should be too (Kuemper) but his team missed the playoffs and he plays in a tiny market with little attention.

Bishop's SV% is top 3 since the lockout (for goalies with 35+ GP) and Lehner is also in the top 15. Bishop's GAA is also top 10 for the same criteria.

You can certainly argue their stats would've gone down had they played more games, but that isn't a guarantee. Neither had to be relied upon to play 60-70+ games - that's out of their control. They both played amazingly well when called upon, and were fortunate to have a partner in net who could also be relied on. That shouldn't detract from the incredible seasons both had.

None of the 60+ GP goalies this year had particularly remarkable seasons. None of them stood out amongst the crowd. So why should they get any recognition for being average to above-average starters when they did play?
They shouldn't, and the unremarkable seasons from the full time starters likely explains the trio of light duty starters all becoming finalists.

It is surprising to see two goalies with less than 50 games as finalists, and the most games played by finalists at 53.

I'd give it to Bishop despite the light workload

Pensionsraddare

May 18, 2018
Karlstad
Since this is a trophy based on regular season you have to go with Vasilevskiy of course. That's a no brainer really even though he played for a team that slaughtered all the others.

With that said i think Lehner will prove himself to be the best keeper when it matters. He will take Islanders all the way to the Stanley Cup-final, mark my words. But that won't count in to this price. That Conn Smythe Trophy is not so bad either ;)

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Just pulled some stats out of the air to make a point. I haven't followed the race closely and couldn't be bothered to look it up.

They shouldn't, and the unremarkable seasons from the full time starters likely explains the trio of light duty starters all becoming finalists.

It is surprising to see two goalies with less than 50 games as finalists, and the most games played by finalists at 53.

I'd give it to Bishop despite the light workload

It’s going to be an anomaly. Price missing the playoffs is the only reason he didn’t get in. Not to mention we had tandems/injuries with other goalies. It was a fluke year. Two goalies with under 50 games played in the top 3 is a joke, with the front runner having 53.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I think going forward around the league starting your #1 at most 55 games is ideal i think especially if you're a team that travels alot. Dallas is top5 in miles traveled every year. Like that you need a strong backup who can play 30-40 without too much trouble.

I think all three are deserving . I don't think any of the guys who played 60+ had that great a year. I think Kuemper maybe deserved a nomination but i think all three are deserving .

Vasi should win it i would think.

McNurse

Sep 2, 2015
Honestly I’ll be happy if any of them three won it. If Lehner won it though I think it would be the most satisfying to see in my opinion

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Why you ran it with 40 games ? Still not an amount of game of Vezina trophy winner... Try 50...ahhh I see why you won't post... Because you tried it and saw the results eh?

I don't think there was a better goaltender in 2019 that Carey Price. So yeah I think he deserved a nomination. Didn't make the playoffs, team had 44 wins. Avs are in 2nd round with 38 wins. So the whole playoff or not aspect I don't understand it for the Vezina. Bobrov won it without making it.

Here just for you, I'll run it down cuz you shy.

50 games:

GAA: 4th
Save%: 4th

There was 19 goalies with 50+ games this year.

Bishop and Lehner weren't among these.

Bishop and Lehner are 21st and 22nd int he NHL for save made. 22 and 23 for shot against.

Bishop is 22 and Lehner 24 for time on ice.

Out of 31 starter (cuz u know 31 team. hence 31 #1) they are freaking low.

Workload has always been taken into consideration for that trophy. Nitpicking goalie had not above of ,920 save %... Are we really going to say that the difference bwteen ,918 and ,920 is significant when you play 60-65games?

Very good, very good. You know something?

No Vezina for you! Come back, one year, Next!

Reactions: Vaporwave

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I think going forward around the league starting your #1 at most 55 games is ideal i think especially if you're a team that travels alot. Dallas is top5 in miles traveled every year. Like that you need a strong backup who can play 30-40 without too much trouble.

I think all three are deserving . I don't think any of the guys who played 60+ had that great a year. I think Kuemper maybe deserved a nomination but i think all three are deserving .

Vasi should win it i would think.

Vasi didn’t even start 55. It was an odd year. But I think the guy with the most starts\games played should get it. Nobody in the 40’s should be even be in contention, much less win it. When’s the last time a goalie with that small of a sample size was in the conversation? Kiprusoff 2004? Or Dubnyk 2015? Still fell far short.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I don't care who wins, but 46 GP (unrelated to injury) means your coach wasn't even sure who the starter was. But I don't expect people to grasp the limitations of averaging statistics, even when it leads to bizarre conclusions.

GMs vote for the vezina.... I guess they don't grasp basics either....

Reactions: Johno

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Again, what goalies are being compared here? Price and who? Or are more statistics being made up?

Price missed the playoffs. As a Habs fan, that makes sense why he wouldn’t be a finalist for that alone. It was a tough year to pick.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Would you prefer worse goalies who have more GP get the nods? The game is evolving and fewer teams are having to rely on a goaltender to play 60-70 games.

Or goalies just can't handle that amount of games. Or goalies can't handle that many, so thet play less, but the team wants their goalie rested for the playoffs.

As for the Veznia, these goalies may, or may not have the amount of games people would like to see, but at least you kind of have to look to vote.

Vas played on one of the best teams ever and didn't Fucale-it.(pretty much just there and pretty much any other goalie would have been just as good)

Lehner with Griess won the Jennings and really helped an abysmal defensive team turn it around. Trotz helped top, I guess.

Bishop - played on a d that sucked for scoring and had to play well, otherwise 2 goals against could spell a loss.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
If Vasilevskiy wins the Vezina it's only because he has more wins. Throw any goalie on Tampa and they'd still have the regular season they had imo in terms of wins

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
If Vasilevskiy wins the Vezina it's only because he has more wins. Throw any goalie on Tampa and they'd still have the regular season they had imo in terms of wins

Vasilevskiy is in the top 5 goalies, he is elite level.

Reactions: BHD

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I'll admit that I'm a bit surprised to see Lehner as a nominee. His GAA, save percentage, and shutout totals are stellar, but he only played 46 games and had just 25 wins. That's got to be one of the lowest wins/games played totals for a Vezina nominee in recent history.

Bishop played the same amount.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I am surprised Lehner was nominated, I figured people would look at Griess' statistics and hold it against Lehner, plus the amount of games he played seems low

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad