Vezina Finalists: Ben Bishop (DAL), Robin Lehner (NYI), Andrei Vasilevskiy (TBL)

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
As an islanders fan I’m absolutely happy for Lehner to be nominated!! It’s awsosme to see but he won’t win. Just doesn’t have enough games played.

He played the same games (less starts) as Bishop did this year so he might have a shot? Itll probably be Vasi though as he played more and had way more wins.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Carey Price finished with essentially identical numbers (Prices are a hair better actually) and played 66 games.

So should Price win the Vezina?
Andersen had better advanced statistics but hard to argue with the 3 nominees if they were going to go with guys who didn’t play many games.

The voters were probably forced to go that route due to none of the guys with a lot of games played really standing out.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Yes, probably if he played only the first 3/4 of the season he would’ve been nominated based on numbers.

Even if someone feels he could’ve garnered a nomination, the notion that he was flat out robbed (which was the post I responded to) which the numbers he finished with is ridiculous.

Agreed that he wasnt robbed, but he was still good enough to be useful to us in the last 15 games so I dont understand why him playing thr last 15 dropped his stock.

Its different than saying he needed to keep up his pace AND play 60 to get a nomination (He probably wouldve won if he did this).

Anyways, Ill digress because the 3 nominees were all great this year and deserve praise. Happy for Lehner bouncing back after all the summer issuds.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Lehner and Bishop didn't have the workload this season, and the obvious knock on Vasilevskiy is that he benefitted in the wins column from the team in front of him. I have no idea which of those three deserve it more.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
He played the same games (less starts) as Bishop did this year so he might have a shot? Itll probably be Vasi though as he played more and had way more wins.

Vasilevsky definitely deserves it but I feel Bishop had the better numbers. Wins aren’t always a great indicator.

Vasilevsky- 53GP 2.40GAA .925 SV% 39Wins

Bishop- 46GP 1.98GAA .934 SV% 27Wins

Lehner - 46GP 2.13GAA .930 SV% 25 Wins

I actually didn’t realize Lehner was so close to both guys in Games player. Tied with Bishop.

Judging by SV% and GAA I think it’s a win for Bishop.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Just doing this out of curiosity:

Rankings are based on the 50 goalies to play minimum 1500 minutes all situations:

FA/60 (Less unblocked shot attempts = highest ranking):
Andre Vasilevskiy - 20th
Robin Lehner - 25th
Ben Bishop - 30th

xGA (Less xGA = highest ranking):
AV - 25th
RL - 20th
BB - 23rd

SV%:
AV - 6th
RL - 3rd
BB - 1st

dSV% (difference between xSV and actual SV%):
AV - 15th
RL - 5th
BB - 1st

GSAA:
AV - 9th
RL - 4th
BB - 2nd

GSAA/30:
AV - 14th
RL - 5th
BB - 1st

I'd personally vote goalies as follows:
1. Ben Bishop
2. John Gibson
3. Robin Lehner
4. Jaroslav Halak
5. Jordan Binnington

Writers imo actually did a pretty good job for once.. as long as Vas doesn't win.

Last edited:

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Ya, Freddy went kinda cold/had a thin defense thinned out in front of him down the stretch.

Anyway, 3 terrific choices. No complaints with any of them.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'll admit that I'm a bit surprised to see Lehner as a nominee. His GAA, save percentage, and shutout totals are stellar, but he only played 46 games and had just 25 wins. That's got to be one of the lowest wins/games played totals for a Vezina nominee in recent history.
Lehner and Bishop are both the second lowest games played total for a top-3 Vezina final in at least the last 20 years or so (maybe more) in an 82 game season. I looked it up a while ago when it was suggested that Lehner and Bishop could win, which I said they likely wouldn't be a finalist due to games played. Both only played 46 games.

Even Vasilevskiy would have had a fairly low number of games played this year for a Vezina winner.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Just doing this out of curiosity:

Rankings are based on the 50 goalies to play minimum 1500 minutes all situations:

FA/60 (Less unblocked shot attempts = highest ranking):
Andre Vasilevskiy - 20th
Robin Lehner - 25th
Ben Bishop - 30th

xGA (Less xGA = highest ranking):
AV - 25th
RL - 20th
BB - 23rd

SV%:
AV - 6th
RL - 3rd
BB - 1st

dSV% (difference between xSV and actual SV%):
AV - 15th
RL - 5th
BB - 1st

GSAA:
AV - 9th
RL - 4th
BB - 2nd

GSAA/30:
AV - 14th
RL - 5th
BB - 1st

I'd personally vote goalies as follows:
1. Ben Bishop
2. John Gibson
3. Robin Lehner
4. Jordan Binnington
5. Andrei Vasilevskiy

Writers imo actually did a pretty good job for once.. as long as Vas doesn't win.

So does this say Lehner is a good goalie or not? Lol thanks.

Last edited:

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Freddie played 60 games compared to these guys 45. So they literally played 3/4 as much as him. So he would've been a Vezina candidate if he stopped playing 15 games earlier?

I think all three of these goalies were fantastic this year, but none of them playing 50 games and being the 3 nominees seems crazy to me.

Agreed.

Hellebuyck had 67 GP last season, Rinne 59, Vasilevskiy 65. Rinne ended up winning it. 50 games seems pretty low, Vasi played 53 which is still pretty meh.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
So does this day Lehner is a good goalie or not? Lol thanks.

Yes, based on how I interpret goalie stats I have him as the 3rd best goalie in the league this season.

He really does have an argument for #2 though as Gibson's actual stats lag behind his underlying stats (which are so good because Anaheim was soooo bad defensively).

EDIT: And really anyone I have ranked in the Top-5 (Bishop, Gibson, Lehner, Halak, Binnington) all have a legit argument as the best goalie in the league this season. Don't think Vas belongs in the same conversation as those 5, and is more in the 2nd tier this season with Rinne/Markstrom/Murray/Andersen/Holtby.

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Yes, based on how I interpret goalie stats I have him as the 3rd best goalie in the league this season.

He really does have an argument for #2 though as Gibson's actual stats lag behind his underlying stats (which are so good because Anaheim was soooo bad defensively).

Awesome! Thank you!

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
I'll admit that I'm a bit surprised to see Lehner as a nominee. His GAA, save percentage, and shutout totals are stellar, but he only played 46 games and had just 25 wins. That's got to be one of the lowest wins/games played totals for a Vezina nominee in recent history.

Thats a good thing. Stopping pucks is always more important than Wins and Games played.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
You know, I don't think it's talked about enough that Greiss arguably had a better season than Lehner and only played 2 less games.

The weird thing too is that NYI was good/great defensively in front of them, but it's not even why their sv% are so high. They just both had legit amazing seasons and almost shared the minutes 50/50.

Is it weird I want to change my list for "best goalies this season" to:

1. Bishop
2. Gibson
3. Greiss
4. Lehner
5. Halak

???

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Psyched to see Lehner nominated. He deserved it.

I know it's for the reg season, but he just had one of the best playoff series for a G this century.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Bishop himself has said that wins are the most important goalie stat. F

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Freddie played 60 games compared to these guys 45. So they literally played 3/4 as much as him. So he would've been a Vezina candidate if he stopped playing 15 games earlier?

I think all three of these goalies were fantastic this year, but none of them playing 50 games and being the 3 nominees seems crazy to me.
:facepalm: Always one in the crowd. Vez played 53 games

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
And yet people want binnington to win calder with 32 games played. Don cherry says it was guarateed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad