Vezina Finalists: Ben Bishop (DAL), Robin Lehner (NYI), Andrei Vasilevskiy (TBL)

varano

Jun 27, 2013
If Lehner is there... Binnington deserves it more than Lehner frankly

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Has there been a Vezina finalist in the era of long seasons (i.e. at least 70 games) with "only" 25 wins before?

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
If Lehner is there... Binnington deserves it more than Lehner frankly

If there was an MVG or Most Valuable Goalie award, it would've gone to Binnington hands down.

I think he should've been a finalist here as well.....I bet once the votes come out he'll be a close 4th on most ballots.

With Lehner's Isles taking home the Jennings, and Lehner being a big reason for that, I can see how his numbers warranted a selection here. He should just be more thankful to his backup than either Vasi or Bishop.

Reactions: Pandaman11

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Its ridiculous. Lehner is good but hes clearly a product of Trotz and the team defense, as evidenced by his backups numbers.

And Crosby was merely "good" because Malkin is also doing fine on the second line?

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Both are HOF top 100, 10 for sid calibre players.

Lehner and Greiss are not even average starters aside from this year
Greiss was 2.36 and .925 in 15/16. excellent numbers.

and he was incredible in the series win over FLA in that year. One of the main reasons they won.

Keep trying though.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
Typically a goalie needs 55-60 starts minimum to even be in the conversation. If they stuck to that model, none of these 3 would have been nominated. If you’re going to forego that, you really can’t nominate Vasilevsky and Bishop without also nominating Lehner.

Bishop should win in my opinion.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Vasilevskiy probably edges out Bishop thanks to more games played and sustained excellence. Bishop could win based purely on the numbers, but having less than 50 games is problematic. Same story with Lehner, who remained near the top the entire season.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Other than the lockout year, Tim Thomas is the last goalie I can think of to win the Vezina trophy while playing less than 55 games (54 games, 53 starts).

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I was wondering how often these nominees are being announced:
  • April 22: Mark Messier Leadership Award
  • April 23: King Clancy Memorial Trophy (Humanitarian Award)
  • April 24: Willie O'Ree Community Hero Award
  • April 25: Ted Lindsay Award (Most Outstanding Player as voted by the players)
  • April 26: Jack Adams Award (Top head coach)
  • April 27: Calder Trophy (Top rookie)
  • April 28: Hart Trophy (Most Valuable player to his team)
Updated list for 2019 NHL awards: Ben Bishop, Andrei Vasilevskiy, Robin Lehner finalists for Vezina Trophy

I'll skip right over the annual exercise in pandering that is the Messier award, and look ahead to the rest. :laugh:

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
I think Lehner should get it and i'm a Dallas fan. Bishop was great do get me wrong but to backstop the Isles to 5th best team in the NHL during the regular season after Tavares left speak volumes.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I was wondering how often these nominees are being announced:
  • April 22: Mark Messier Leadership Award
  • April 23: King Clancy Memorial Trophy (Humanitarian Award)
  • April 24: Willie O'Ree Community Hero Award
  • April 25: Ted Lindsay Award (Most Outstanding Player as voted by the players)
  • April 26: Jack Adams Award (Top head coach)
  • April 27: Calder Trophy (Top rookie)
  • April 28: Hart Trophy (Most Valuable player to his team)
Updated list for 2019 NHL awards: Ben Bishop, Andrei Vasilevskiy, Robin Lehner finalists for Vezina Trophy

I'll skip right over the annual exercise in pandering that is the Messier award, and look ahead to the rest. :laugh:

The Messier Leadership award has to be the single dumbest award they've added.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I think Lehner should get it and i'm a Dallas fan. Bishop was great do get me wrong but to backstop the Isles to 5th best team in the NHL during the regular season after trading Tavares speak volumes.

I’m an isles fan and I feel Bishop should get it lol
Lehner was absolutely awesome for the isles and had he not get injured he would have had some more games played.

Bishop has the better GAA and SV% in the same amount of games. That’s why I feel Bishop should win.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
Imagine how good teh Sens would be if they didn't trade all their good players away. Bishop, Lehner, Turris, Stone, Hoffman, Karlsson, Foligno.......

Reactions: Voight

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Bishop was the best IMO but worthy to note none of them reached 60 GP, backups becoming more and more important these days.
Makes sense as the gap between starter and back up is also diminishing due to training, coaching, and the success of the butterfly style. Doesn't make sense to play your starter 65+ games anymore when you'll wear him out for the playoffs, when your backup can jump in and produce numbers only a notch or two lower. As opposed to back in the day when the differences were drastic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad