Vezina Finalists: Ben Bishop (DAL), Robin Lehner (NYI), Andrei Vasilevskiy (TBL)

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
I'm an Islanders fan first, Bolts fan second, yet I still want Bishop to win because I just want him to win one really bad. I've always liked him a lot. Since it's an individual award, my pick is Bish.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Would like to see Vasi win but would be ELATED for Bish if he finally wins his. Love that guy.

Vasi for me as well as he net minded his team to a historic regular season, but I won't be bummed if Bishop gets it.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Bishop was the best IMO but worthy to note none of them reached 60 GP, backups becoming more and more important these days.

I've said it before, but even with all of Gretzky's records, they're all breakable.

The only NHL record I feel that will never be broken is Glenn Hall's consecutive games played record. Backups have rendered it to be an impossible task.

Reactions: Voight

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
It’s going to be an anomaly. Price missing the playoffs is the only reason he didn’t get in. Not to mention we had tandems/injuries with other goalies. It was a fluke year. Two goalies with under 50 games played in the top 3 is a joke, with the front runner having 53.

I don't think it's a joke really, I don't think Price should be rewarded just because our backup sucks. Other than GP he just doesn't have high enough numbers to get the nod. If he posted 920 + SV% I could see him getting the nod for his workload despite having slightly lower numbers than the others with a lighter workload, but the gap in numbers is just too large imo.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I don't think it's a joke really, I don't think Price should be rewarded just because our backup sucks. Other than GP he just doesn't have high enough numbers to get the nod. If he posted 920 + SV% I could see him getting the nod for his workload despite having slightly lower numbers than the others with a lighter workload, but the gap in numbers is just too large imo.

The gap in numbers is just as large when you compare the workload for Lehner and Bishop to Price and games played has historically mattered. Montreal making the playoffs would’ve made it very difficult on the voters. Goalies who only play 46 games a year shouldn’t be finalists for the Vezina period. That’s not a starters sample size.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
The gap in numbers is just as large when you compare the workload for Lehner and Bishop to Price and games played has historically mattered. Montreal making the playoffs would’ve made it very difficult on the voters. Goalies who only play 46 games a year shouldn’t be finalists for the Vezina period. That’s not a starters sample size.
Why is Price being brought up here? He had a .918 SV% and a GAA of 2.49. I get that he led the league in minutes, but that shouldn't put you in the conversation by itself.

Btw, I agree that games played should matter. And even as a Stars fan, it feels a little weird that my guy got nominated with less than 50 games played. However, the season Bishop had, and when he played dominantly, seems worthy of comment. He led the league in SV%, was second in GAA. But more importantly, his play down the stretch took a bubble team into the playoffs. 9 GP in March with a 7-1-0 record, 0.88 GAA, .969 SV%, 3 shutouts. The guy let in 7 goals in 9 games, then had a shutout in his one April game. 4 shutouts in his last 10 games played.

In the context of how the season played out, I get why Bishop was nominated.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Why is Price being brought up here? He had a .918 SV% and a GAA of 2.49. I get that he led the league in minutes, but that shouldn't put you in the conversation by itself.

Btw, I agree that games played should matter. And even as a Stars fan, it feels a little weird that my guy got nominated with less than 50 games played. However, the season Bishop had, and when he played dominantly, seems worthy of comment. He led the league in SV%, was second in GAA. But more importantly, his play down the stretch took a bubble team into the playoffs. 9 GP in March with a 7-1-0 record, 0.88 GAA, .969 SV%, 3 shutouts. The guy let in 7 goals in 9 games, then had a shutout in his one April game. 4 shutouts in his last 10 games played.

I never said games played alone or having the most minutes should be the only thing that puts you in the conversation. I said you should atleast be playing a starters workload to qualify. Lehner is the selection I wouldn’t have made. His backup played in just about as many games and was pretty much just as good. Bishop I get was to good to leave out. Out of goalies who played atleast 50 games, Price was tied for 3rd in save percentage. This was the second highest scoring era in 23 years when the dead puck era started. This effects save percentage. A .918 and a 2.49 GAA is better then your giving credit. I forgot all about Kuemper. He’s likely the guy who will finish 4th but to say Price shouldn’t have been in the mix because of his stats isn’t true.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

There are stats from other sources than the NHL and compiled using NHL data (xSV% vs. SV%, envorimental impacts, workload effect, etc.) that paint Price as pretty deserving of consideration. I don't think he should be a finalist, but using two stats (even if one is Sv%) and a small sample stretch isn't exactly a great argument in a goalies favour either.

Appraising goaltenders is really hard, harder than appraising D-men. Even if analysis is heavily reliant on data.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
There are stats from other sources than the NHL and compiled using NHL data (xSV% vs. SV%, envorimental impacts, workload effect, etc.) that paint Price as pretty deserving of consideration. I don't think he should be a finalist, but using two stats (even if one is Sv%) and a small sample stretch isn't exactly a great argument in a goalies favour either.

Appraising goaltenders is really hard, harder than appraising D-men. Even if analysis is heavily reliant on data.
You are right. My main point was that Bishop has the "traditional" stats and the late season heroics.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad