Vancouver Sports Media III

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
Unless I’m mistaken, Kesler and Bieksa have a really poor recollection of Jeff Cowan’s little run of form in 06-07.
Was it exaggeration of the number of goals he scored? According to Wikipedia:

"Towards the end of his first season with Vancouver, Cowan rose to brief prominence, scoring an unexpected 6 goals in 4 games.[3] During that span, a bra was thrown on the ice after his second goal of the game against the Tampa Bay Lightning, coining the moniker "Cowan the Bra-barian". The unique celebration was popularized among fans and in response, the entire Canucks team signed a bra that was auctioned to raise money for breast cancer research.[4]

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Unless I’m mistaken, Kesler and Bieksa have a really poor recollection of Jeff Cowan’s little run of form in 06-07.

Looking at hockeydb was Kesler injured at the time Cowan had that little run?

"Towards the end of his first season with Vancouver, Cowan rose to brief prominence, scoring an unexpected 6 goals in 4 games.[3] During that span, a bra was thrown on the ice after his second goal of the game against the Tampa Bay Lightning, coining the moniker "Cowan the Bra-barian". The unique celebration was popularized among fans and in response, the entire Canucks team signed a bra that was auctioned to raise money for breast cancer research.[4]

No I remember Cowan having that run. If you look at the stats he even scored 2 goals in the playoffs. He was very effective upon joining the Canucks that year. To be fair there weren't too many options up front. Pyatt and (pass it to) Bullis played prime roles that year.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Honestly tried to suffer through the Sportsnet 650 pre-game show, but just couldn't. These guys are so bad it's mind-boggling. No matter where the Canucks finish or how far they go, surely Rogers has go back to the drawing board on is pre-game and post-game radio 'analysis' and bring in some new talent from somewhere.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
They thought it came from playing with the Sedins, which I’m quite certain is not the case (the bra goal was a wicked behind-the-back pass from Jan Bulis, for example). They even talked about “three redheads lining up together”.

If anything, Kesler undersold it, said something like “6 goals in 10 games” (it was 6 in 4!) and made it sound like bras getting thrown was a regular thing that season – I’m pretty sure it happened just the one time, or maybe one other.

Reactions: cabinessence

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
They thought it came from playing with the Sedins, which I’m quite certain is not the case (the bra goal was a wicked behind-the-back pass from Jan Bulis, for example). They even talked about “three redheads lining up together”.

If anything, Kesler undersold it, said something like “6 goals in 10 games” (it was 6 in 4!) and made it sound like bras getting thrown was a regular thing that season – I’m pretty sure it happened just the one time, or maybe one other.

The best part of that entire time was the Willie Mitchel interview after he picked up one of the Bra's.

member 290103

Then change the station. Hey, everone is entitled to their opinion. The way I see it is they talk about the Canucks 90% of the time on that station, you probably get 7-9 straight hours of Canuck talk. Breaking it up once in a while with some banter is ok. Now if you are too young to relate to it, or if you think you need to hear more of the same over and over there are a bunch of forums you can go to.

Id rather listen to cheese steak talk than some guy who comes across as holier than thou.

We will just disagree.

The banter is more than the actual sports talk. Halford and Brough mix in banter and their show is great. The focus remains on sports...since its f***ing sports talk radio. Taylor has an entire daily segment dedicated to celebrity news and his ability to guess birthdays. It’s horrendous...and I do change the station.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
We will just disagree.

The banter is more than the actual sports talk. Halford and Brough mix in banter and their show is great. The focus remains on sports...since its f***ing sports talk radio. Taylor has an entire daily segment dedicated to celebrity news and his ability to guess birthdays. It’s horrendous...and I do change the station.

I think most of the time the 1040 shows involve more banter than actual sports talk.

Personally I change stations all the time. I don't need to listen to something I'm not interested in.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
God forbid anyone unlike that drone imac be given a platform on air

I don't imagine anyone likes hearing him speak or seeing him on tv. Even other shills would be grossed out by him. Zero integrity, zero entertainment value, creepy moldy looking skin. Not even a pinch of subtlety to keep people guessing.

Reactions: vanuck

member 290103

I don't imagine anyone likes hearing him speak or seeing him on tv. Even other shills would be grossed out by him. Zero integrity, zero entertainment value, creepy moldy looking skin. Not even a pinch of subtlety to keep people guessing.

Moldy skin?

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
Bring back the GMan. Maybe he's not hip as all the talkers now that put on the serious voice and whisper"Iiiiiiithiiiiink we need to have that conversation....'I wil admit GMan is a pretty cool, hip nickname, up there with Murph, Walks, BMac, Cball, IMac, and Kuuuuuuz.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Not a huge fan of JD Burke but complaining about him always comes off as “whaa whaa he’s not saying what I want to hear!”

his knowledge surpasses the majority of the shills on 650

Reactions: timw33 and MS

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018
Everyone needs to turn off 1040 when Moj and Taylor are on. The entire show is just put on for the entertainment of the hosts and producer. They actually have the gall to call the show the "Blue and Green Lunch" but then they have an entire very lengthy segment where Taylor reads celebrity gossip and then the two of them have fun with a birthday quiz. Large portions of the remainder of the show are for small talk between the three of them about the best pizza dips, old business establishments from the 60's, trips they have taken, etc. It's so aggravating.

There is such an opportunity for 650 here to take the market away from these guys but they put up such weak competition.

I switch over to Maddog at lunch now. Even though there is no hockey he's at least talking sports.
I love that show

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

It's not an official account or anything but interesting nonetheless.

What's considered the afternoon show? Sekeres and Price? If so I'm not surprised at all they are beating their 650 counterparts.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
What's considered the afternoon show? Sekeres and Price? If so I'm not surprised at all they are beating their 650 counterparts.
Yup Sekeres and Price vs Andrew Walker and Satiar Shah.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Overall station numbers for 1040 v 650 are pretty close to last time, down slightly.

1040 down from 2.6 to 2.5 share.
650 down from 1.8 to 1.5 share.

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
Not a huge fan of JD Burke but complaining about him always comes off as “whaa whaa he’s not saying what I want to hear!”

his knowledge surpasses the majority of the shills on 650

He doesn't pass the beer test for me. Sure, he knows his shit, but would I want to have a beer and watch the game with him? Personally, nope. So why would I want to have him in my ear for long periods?

Reactions: The Drop

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad