Vancouver Sports Media III

member 290103

Everyone needs to turn off 1040 when Moj and Taylor are on. The entire show is just put on for the entertainment of the hosts and producer. They actually have the gall to call the show the "Blue and Green Lunch" but then they have an entire very lengthy segment where Taylor reads celebrity gossip and then the two of them have fun with a birthday quiz. Large portions of the remainder of the show are for small talk between the three of them about the best pizza dips, old business establishments from the 60's, trips they have taken, etc. It's so aggravating.

There is such an opportunity for 650 here to take the market away from these guys but they put up such weak competition.

I switch over to Maddog at lunch now. Even though there is no hockey he's at least talking sports.

Jimbo57

Jan 28, 2018
Everyone needs to turn off 1040 when Moj and Taylor are on. The entire show is just put on for the entertainment of the hosts and producer. They actually have the gall to call the show the "Blue and Green Lunch" but then they have an entire very lengthy segment where Taylor reads celebrity gossip and then the two of them have fun with a birthday quiz. Large portions of the remainder of the show are for small talk between the three of them about the best pizza dips, old business establishments from the 60's, trips they have taken, etc. It's so aggravating.

There is such an opportunity for 650 here to take the market away from these guys but they put up such weak competition.

I switch over to Maddog at lunch now. Even though there is no hockey he's at least talking sports.

Are you kidding. Compared to the pompous self absored "J - D - Burkian" style half wits Id rather listen to those guys every day of the week. Hell, add John McKeachie and Bernie Pascall and now we are cooking with gas. At least they have personality, are aware of the sports culture history in Vancouver, and dont try and sound like ivory tower intellectuals running off of spreadsheets and limp personalities. And who cares if they veer off the track a bit with gossip and other trash talk, do you really want to listen about the pros and cons of the Toffoli trade for 24 hours?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
OMF I knew I didn't agree with some of his takes but I thought JD Burke would be a good follow due to his work with Elite Prospects. Boy was I wrong. What a stone cold loser.

Self absorbed garbage and pretty much the wrong take on everything outside of hockey.
Agreed, JD Burke is an absolute buffoon.....His bumbling takes are pure comedy (as are the replies on his twitter).

member 290103

Are you kidding. Compared to the pompous self absored "J - D - Burkian" style half wits Id rather listen to those guys every day of the week. Hell, add John McKeachie and Bernie Pascall and now we are cooking with gas. At least they have personality, are aware of the sports culture history in Vancouver, and dont try and sound like ivory tower intellectuals running off of spreadsheets and limp personalities. And who cares if they veer off the track a bit with gossip and other trash talk, do you really want to listen about the pros and cons of the Toffoli trade for 24 hours?

Completely disagree. I am not tuning in to hear about some girl Moj dated in 1974 or a hair style Taylor had during his time in Dawson Creek. The fact that you are interested in this just feeds in to the massive ego's these guys must have if they actually believe anyone really cares about any of this stuff.

I tune into 1040 for sports.....yes, I admit it. I am not interested in Don's favorite movie from 1994 or what Hendersen likes to put on his hot dogs.

Sorry.

PS - JD Burke has nothing to do with anything I originally stated. I would rather listen to him during his "hits" on 1040 discussing the Canucks though - over Moj's favorite Cheesesteak establishment in metro St. Louis.

member 290103

Definitely in the conversation for one of the most unlikable sports writer Twitter accounts

I don't follow him. My only exposure is when he is on Halford and Brough. He does come across as a bit of an arrogant guy..........

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Some of these takes on JD are laughable but of course they’re coming from the usual suspects.

As someone who actually knows him on a personal level, he’s a great person who has helped me more than anyone else in this market with my career. I don’t think he’s ever said no to an interview, constantly giving me guidance in my DM’s and is all in all a great hockey mind.

He’s extremely hard working, easy to talk too and knows a lot about the sport.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Some of these takes on JD are laughable but of course they’re coming from the usual suspects.

As someone who actually knows him on a personal level, he’s a great person who has helped me more than anyone else in this market with my career. I don’t think he’s ever said no to an interview, constantly giving me guidance in my DM’s and is all in all a great hockey mind.

Talking about usual suspect...we know of two Vancouver media guys you worship like a god now and who are so amazing and were such a big help. Do tell us about all the other ones.

Anyway, I'm sure you find him just fine in all your in depth interactions but he comes off as a total tool on Twitter. I had to unfollow because I was sick of all the poor takes outside of hockey and I was sick of all his little infantile chirps with people who disagree with him popping up in my feed.

Reactions: Jimbo57

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Nobody is saying that he isn't a great guy...If you're in the media, and stick your neck out with absurd click bait hot takes...there's going to be blowback...Its as simple as that.

Last edited:

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Talking about usual suspect...we know of two Vancouver media guys you worship like a god now and who are so amazing and were such a big help. Do tell us about all the other ones.

Anyway, I'm sure you find him just fine in all your in depth interactions but he comes off as a total tool on Twitter. I had to unfollow because I was sick of all the poor takes outside of hockey and I was sick of all his little infantile chirps with people who disagree with him popping up in my feed.

JD Burke is absolutely lambasted in this market for simply not being pro-management he faces enormous backlash from people. People think he’s “arrogant” and “cocky” because his views don’t match up with yours.

If someone’s helping me out, taking time out of their enormously busy schedules for a student Journalist, I’m going to back them up. You can say what you want about his personality, the fact of the matter is as someone who actually has a personal relationship with him, he’s a very helpful and nice person.

Sat Shah is a great guy, Randip Janda is a great guy, Thomas Drance is a great guy, Rick Dhaliwahl is a great guy, Ryan Biech is a great guy. This is a culture than Jason Botchford created in Vancouver, where local medial members take time out of their day to help aspiring ones out.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
JD Burke is absolutely lambasted in this market for simply not being pro-management he faces enormous backlash from people. People think he’s “arrogant” and “cocky” because his views don’t match up with yours.

If someone’s helping me out, taking time out of their enormously busy schedules for a student Journalist, I’m going to back them up. You can say what you want about his personality, the fact of the matter is as someone who actually has a personal relationship with him, he’s a very helpful and nice person.

Sat Shah is a great guy, Randip Janda is a great guy, Thomas Drance is a great guy, Rick Dhaliwahl is a great guy, Ryan Biech is a great guy. This is a culture than Jason Botchford created in Vancouver, where local medial members take time out of their day to help aspiring ones out.

Great stuff. I made it pretty clear that I expected 100% what he brought to the hockey conversation and gave a follow anyway. I take hockey stuff pretty easily in stride and I agree on some stuff and don't on the other.

Also very clear in my post was the fact I found him an unlikable guy and thought his takes on issues outside of hockey very bad. I would have even been ok with that but I guess he likes to argue with guys who don't like him and his terrible takes outside of hockey? Not worth all the bullshit in my feed. I'm sure he is a nice guy in person, well I'm not but whatever. Not talking about that.

member 290103

You met Donnie and Moj? You like them?

Green Blank Stare

Drance approved coach
May 16, 2019
OMF I knew I didn't agree with some of his takes but I thought JD Burke would be a good follow due to his work with Elite Prospects. Boy was I wrong. What a stone cold loser.

Self absorbed garbage and pretty much the wrong take on everything outside of hockey.
It's embarrassing The Athletic hired him.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Jimbo57

Jan 28, 2018
Completely disagree. I am not tuning in to hear about some girl Moj dated in 1974 or a hair style Taylor had during his time in Dawson Creek. The fact that you are interested in this just feeds in to the massive ego's these guys must have if they actually believe anyone really cares about any of this stuff.

I tune into 1040 for sports.....yes, I admit it. I am not interested in Don's favorite movie from 1994 or what Hendersen likes to put on his hot dogs.

Then change the station. Hey, everone is entitled to their opinion. The way I see it is they talk about the Canucks 90% of the time on that station, you probably get 7-9 straight hours of Canuck talk. Breaking it up once in a while with some banter is ok. Now if you are too young to relate to it, or if you think you need to hear more of the same over and over there are a bunch of forums you can go to.

PS - JD Burke has nothing to do with anything I originally stated. I would rather listen to him during his "hits" on 1040 discussing the Canucks though - over Moj's favorite Cheesesteak establishment in metro St. Louis.

Id rather listen to cheese steak talk than some guy who comes across as holier than thou.

Jimbo57

Jan 28, 2018

If you want to be a journalist that is taken seriously you need to be a little more objective than this. This has nothing to do with his take on management. You concede that Burke is lambasted in this market and that people think he is arrogant and cocky. Perhaps there is a reason for this. Its lazy just to say "because he is pro management" . There are other guys that criticze management all the time and they dont generate the negative feedback Burke does. Maybe he isnt a bad guy, maybe he needs to work on how he conveys his opinions and carries himself when he is interviewed. Who knows, but there is an issue with him - its why he is generally perceived the way you describe above.

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
Then change the station. Hey, everone is entitled to their opinion. The way I see it is they talk about the Canucks 90% of the time on that station, you probably get 7-9 straight hours of Canuck talk. Breaking it up once in a while with some banter is ok. Now if you are too young to relate to it, or if you think you need to hear more of the same over and over there are a bunch of forums you can go to.

Id rather listen to cheese steak talk than some guy who comes across as holier than thou.
I agree with you. The fact that Don and Bob go off on nonsense sheds light that there just isn't that much to talk about in terms of sports without just rephrasing the same point constantly. Sometimes I listen to Andrew "Walks" Walker and Satiar Sah on "The Program" and in between Walks trying to sound like a deep thinker into another "conversation" they just restate "Oh yes Markstrom is having a great year. Yes he is. His stats are really great and it's helping the team win. He shroud be in the conversation for Hart Trophy because he's having a great year. Yes, it is so important to have a goalie who has good stats and the conversation is also about him putting up wins. Exactly, and we know that it's important to get wins. It's just like anything in life, whatever occupation, you have to show up and the more Marksrtom comes to play, shows, up, it leads to the conversation about his play. He is having a great year as we have said so what we'll be doing next is bringing "Hirschey" into the conversation and get his thoughts on how important it is to have a goalie that is in the conversation for team MVP. He defintley is , and since he is in the conversation for team MVP - why not put him in the Hart Conversation? We'll take a break and continue this conversation after an 8 minute commercial break, but fret not it's not as long as the commercials on 1040.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

I will chip in with a take on this.

Great to see there are a lot of great guys chipping in to help aspiring journalists carry on Botch's legacy. I am sure JD Burke might be a nice guy in this regard. For me as a fan I care about who informs me and entertains me.

Botch was the best and is sorely missed. I agree that Donny and the Moj are old, stale lazy. Burke is bold in his takes which is fine but the problem i have is that he bores me.

I think one thing the new analytics driven journalists need to rememeber that this is a platform to inform but also entertain and build a following and bond with your readers and listeners...not just a platform to show how smart you are and throw out stats.

I dont mind some analytics but some of the articles coming out now by the new breed i struggle to get through them. i crunch numbers at work, there is a limit to how many numbers i want to crunch when i turn to sports for entertainment.

Telling the story, the people in the game, is becoming a lost art. That is why Botch is so badly missed.
Burke really needs to get some personality if he wants to be a thing. None of the guys on your list are very entertainimg even if they are great guys. Drance is about the best of them.

We need more Kevin Bieksa! Glad to see more him on the airwaves. Knows a tbing or two about the game, good insight and entertaining as shit.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Hey guys I'm interning at Save On Radio and have been given on-air time. If you like my takes/posts would really encourage you to tune in 12-2 from Monday-Thursday, mostly talk Canucks and hockey. Give it a listen and tell me what you think.

Link: Save On Radio
Going in with very little show prep today but listen in at 12 if you want to listen to some hockey talk.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I like JD Burke and appreciate his takes such as his previous takes on how great Markus Granlund was. :popcorn:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->