Vancouver Sports Media III

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
1040's relatively new time slot makes it hard to compare though. Sekeres and Price are on from 2-6p.m. Reach Deep is on from 1-4 p.m. I would like to see Sekeres and Price go head to head with Walker and Shah.

Found this on Twitter.
IMG_20200305_105522.jpg

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
That's the thing though. Sekeres and Price are 2-6. Reach Deep is 1-4. I think Shah and Walker are much more competitive than Reach Deep so I'm interested to know how they actually fare against each other in the 4-6 time slot.

That's comparing the two afternoon shows during peak time and tsn is winning by a large amount. (4-7 instead of what you said 4-6)

Reactions: F A N

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
JD Burke called Sutter and Beagle sub-replacement level players today on the morning show.

Said it was a poorly constructed roster and was sympathetic to Green's situation.

Could the shine be coming off Benning?

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
JD Burke called Sutter and Beagle sub-replacement level players today on the morning show.

Said it was a poorly constructed roster and was sympathetic to Green's situation.

Sutter and Beagle are responsible for Roussel on PP1 and out 6V5 in a meaningful game?

Sutter and Beagle are responsible for Petey being the last line on the ice to start the game?

Sutter and Beagle are responsible for Loui being played above Jake?

It certainly is a poorly constructed roster, but Green's poor utilization gets no sympathy.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Except those are the type of players Green likes. It's part of Green's MO. He employs players like Sutter and Beagle to try and shut down opposition's top lines and kill penalties. When the Canucks signed Beagle and Roussel, Elliotte Friedman remarked that those where Travis Green signings. Green also went out of his way to defend those signings.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Is this the same JD Burke..?... who still thinks the Miller (our leader in points) trade was bad....lol

Reactions: Green Blank Stare

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think Burke just goes out of his way to say controversial things to rile people up. I find it pretty funny how mad people get.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Tony Gallagher is the beer test champion as far as I am concerned. I wanna hear that guy tell stories of all the Canucks regimes till closing time.
Stories good. Whining bad.

And holy crap can Tony ever whine.

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA
Except those are the type of players Green likes. It's part of Green's MO. He employs players like Sutter and Beagle to try and shut down opposition's top lines and kill penalties. When the Canucks signed Beagle and Roussel, Elliotte Friedman remarked that those where Travis Green signings. Green also went out of his way to defend those signings.
This makes everything even worse.
Green's the kind of moron that would encourage and push Benning to go after these kinds of players.
Benning's so shit that he listens and goes out and signs these anchors to multi-year high cap contracts.
If this is true, suddenly the teams signings when Willie was here make even more sense and make Benning look even worse. I know a lot of us were joking about the Medicine Hat connection but jfc.
Regardless of how the season ends the whole management staff from Benning on down except for Brackett have to go.
You can't have a GM that puts that much stock into what two ROOKIE coaches have to say. Unbelievable.

Green Blank Stare

Drance approved coach
May 16, 2019
I think Burke just goes out of his way to say controversial things to rile people up. I find it pretty funny how mad people get.
Probably because people think a bozo like that should be posting on HFBoards and not given a media platform.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Sutter and Beagle are responsible for Roussel on PP1 and out 6V5 in a meaningful game?

Roussel is not on PP1, was on the ice late in one game, and actually just had a pretty good offensive outing vs Colorado, so it's not hard to see what Green was thinking.

Sutter and Beagle are responsible for Petey being the last line on the ice to start the game?

LOL, this isn't a big deal at all.

Sutter and Beagle are responsible for Loui being played above Jake?

Jake gets enough ice-time, and there is a lot of evidence that shows Eriksson works better in a shutdown role with Horvat than Jake. It's not my first choice, but it's defensible.

My biggest pet peeve with Green is how long it took him to figure out MacEwen belonged on this team. There's no reason Tim Schaller should have even played a minute of hockey for Vancouver this season.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Roussel is not on PP1, was on the ice late in one game, and actually just had a pretty good offensive outing vs Colorado, so it's not hard to see what Green was thinking.

LOL, this isn't a big deal at all.

Jake gets enough ice-time, and there is a lot of evidence that shows Eriksson works better in a shutdown role with Horvat than Jake. It's not my first choice, but it's defensible.

My biggest pet peeve with Green is how long it took him to figure out MacEwen belonged on this team. There's no reason Tim Schaller should have even played a minute of hockey for Vancouver this season.
Meant pp2, typo on phone keypad, point remains, he should be nowhere near a powerplay. We saw this kind of idiocy with Willie D, Green will get destroyed in a 7 game series.

As for Loui and the use of the 2nd line for shutdown, that is just more coaching idiocy, this team's strength is attacking, not defending, and the nightly shot totals are just more evidence that Green has no clue. Any stats in favor of such a combo are a reflection of Bo propping up Loui, at the sacrifice of offensive production

Reactions: Green Blank Stare

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Meant pp2, typo on phone keypad, point remains, he should be nowhere near a powerplay. We saw this kind of idiocy with Willie D, Green will get destroyed in a 7 game series.

So.... you'd rather have Eriksson on PP2? Sutter? Motte? With Leivo and Boeser out those are the only regular forwards left that aren't getting PP time.

Again, Roussel has had a stretch of bad games, sure. But as the Ava game showed, he is able to make offensive contributions

As for Loui and the use of the 2nd line for shutdown, that is just more coaching idiocy, this team's strength is attacking, not defending, and the nightly shot totals are just more evidence that Green has no clue. Any stats in favor of such a combo are a reflection of Bo propping up Loui, at the sacrifice of offensive production

Why would Horvat elevate Eriksson's stats, but not Virtanen's?

(You're still wrong, though. Horvat's offensive numbers this season are better with Eriksson)

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
So.... you'd rather have Eriksson on PP2? Sutter? Motte? With Leivo and Boeser out those are the only regular forwards left that aren't getting PP time.

Again, Roussel has had a stretch of bad games, sure. But as the Ava game showed, he is able to make offensive contributions

Why would Horvat elevate Eriksson's stats, but not Virtanen's?

(You're still wrong, though. Horvat's offensive numbers this season are better with Eriksson)
What offensive numbers? Show me the non- EN numbers and I'll reconsider my position.

Pearson Gaudette and Virtanen on PP2 with Myers and Edler. Roussel over any of those 3 F is idiotic.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
This makes everything even worse.
Green's the kind of moron that would encourage and push Benning to go after these kinds of players.
Benning's so shit that he listens and goes out and signs these anchors to multi-year high cap contracts.
If this is true, suddenly the teams signings when Willie was here make even more sense and make Benning look even worse. I know a lot of us were joking about the Medicine Hat connection but jfc.
Regardless of how the season ends the whole management staff from Benning on down except for Brackett have to go.
You can't have a GM that puts that much stock into what two ROOKIE coaches have to say. Unbelievable.

This is off topic but it's certainly a delicate balance. Try as one may there's pretty much no way a GM and a coach can be on the same page as far as how they want the team to play and the type of players the team needs etc. So the GM is responsible for ultimately putting together the team but if you don't give your coach the type of players to run his system effectively then you're not going too get the type of results you want either.

It's not so much different from real life. If you see something that needs to be changed and your boss doesn't give you the tools to make those changes or think you're wrong then what do you think will happen?

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Is this the same JD Burke..?... who still thinks the Miller (our leader in points) trade was bad....lol
J.D. Burke has some bad takes sure, some of them are good. I think that Beagle is absolutely a replacement-level player. Sutter is a bottom 6 center. I think people factor in contracts way too much in player evaluations. Remove the AAV and review the player. Beagle has 3 goals and gets murdered in possession.

My problem with Burke is that he talks so much about politics. I try to keep politics out of my feed for the most part so I don't have to be bombarded by political takes. If I wanted political takes, which I think is fine, I'll search for them. But Burke has some really really radical political views.

I think this market really misses Botchford and Ryan Biech. Ryan was the most underrated reporter in the market. His work ethic was insane, the amount of prospects he'd watch was staggering. The Canucks definitely took notice and they hired him this season as a video analyst.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
J.D. Burke has some bad takes sure, some of them are good. I think that Beagle is absolutely a replacement-level player. Sutter is a bottom 6 center. I think people factor in contracts way too much in player evaluations. Remove the AAV and review the player. Beagle has 3 goals and gets murdered in possession.

My problem with Burke is that he talks so much about politics. I try to keep politics out of my feed for the most part so I don't have to be bombarded by political takes. If I wanted political takes, which I think is fine, I'll search for them. But Burke has some really really radical political views.

I think this market really misses Botchford and Ryan Biech. Ryan was the most underrated reporter in the market. His work ethic was insane, the amount of prospects he'd watch was staggering. The Canucks definitely took notice and they hired him this season as a video analyst.

Without Botch, it just really shows how much he meant to the market.

I am very disappointed by Drance. I thought/hoped he would at least somewhat replace Jason but it turned out he is just a homer beat guy that barely provides any inside takes. Is there anything he actually broke? Right now he is just a guy who has fluff pieces for the masses, like that weird thing with Boeser and all the goalies he scored on - it was a nice, funny piece but honestly thats more for the 11 year old fan than anyone else and not really what I want to read from the main VAN athletics reporter.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think it's probably too soon to expect someone to replace what Botch did and really there's nothing wrong with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00