Vancouver Sports Media III

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
Explain how.

I mean, this is just punditry. Like sure, blah blah is blah blah when blah blah. It doesn't mean there is any actual value here. The overwhelming likelihood is that there isn't.

Doesn't make his punditry of any use.
Explain how potentially having a good line that can contribute as energy and shutdown line can have tactical or strategic value? Well, for a start shutting down or minimising the other teams star player’s impact is pretty important. As is the flexibility it gives for line matching when you have two lines that can potentially do that. It also means they wouldn’t need to lean quite so hard on Horvat for shutdown duty which should hopefully allow him to play fewer minutes but with more energy and overall effectiveness.

It was an observation on what had transpired so far this season, not a definitive conclusion on them as players or even as a line. Their job is to commentate on the play of the team.

it seems to me you are being grossly unfair for a media member whose audience is general.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Explain how potentially having a good line that can contribute as energy and shutdown line can have tactical or strategic value? Well, for a start shutting down or minimising the other teams star player’s impact is pretty important. As is the flexibility it gives for line matching when you have two lines that can potentially do that. It also means they wouldn’t need to lean quite so hard on Horvat for shutdown duty which should hopefully allow him to play fewer minutes but with more energy and overall effectiveness.

It was an observation on what had transpired so far this season, not a definitive conclusion on them as players or even as a line. Their job is to commentate on the play of the team.

it seems to me you are being grossly unfair for a media member whose audience is general.

Probably. I have little patience for bland punditry, empty platitudes about the "complexion of the team" and such. Probably why I don't post in this thread much. This guy in particular irks me this year for whatever reason.

I just read his latest this morning, a puff piece about Boeser naming the goalies he's scored on. Obviously just a light thing for fun but even this dumb puff piece was so badly done. Boeser actually did a shockingly terrible job remembering the names of the goalies, like it was a painful read. Just not worth printing, which is how I feel about all of the work Ive seen from him this year.

So yeah, probably just not his target audience but he grinds my gears for some reason.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Probably. I have little patience for bland punditry, empty platitudes about the "complexion of the team" and such. Probably why I don't post in this thread much. This guy in particular irks me this year for whatever reason.

I just read his latest this morning, a puff piece about Boeser naming the goalies he's scored on. Obviously just a light thing for fun but even this dumb puff piece was so badly done. Boeser actually did a shockingly terrible job remembering the names of the goalies, like it was a painful read. Just not worth printing, which is how I feel about all of the work Ive seen from him this year.

So yeah, probably just not his target audience but he grinds my gears for some reason.

Irked you this year? Because he disagrees with you? You admitted to not know what he was like prior to him coming back to the Vancouver market so don’t pretend you know what Drance was like before.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Not a big deal but obviously people were expecting him to provide insight and all he's been doing is throwing out this kind of vapid drivel.
Wow, there he is. The one poster on this website who didn’t use “dribble”.

Reactions: Tighthead

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada

fair enough, I think you have a bit more knowledge about analytics and are not the target audience of beat writers.

as far as Canucks coverage goes there aren’t many that go into detail in analytics except maybe Dayal. Most of the guys who offered actual insight were hired by teams.

I like Drance partly because at least he is trying to gently bring analytics into the conversation with some competence, which beats what people like Kidman and IMac.

Last edited:

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
fair enough, I think you have a bit more knowledge about analytics and are not the target audience of beat writers.

as far as Canucks coverage goes there aren’t many that go into detail in analytics except maybe Dayal. Most of the guys who offered actual insight were hired by teams.

Which is fine.

But the guy is touted as a guy who understands analytics, which is I think what bugs me. Nothing he's written this year shows even an elementary grasp of analytics.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
Which is fine.

But the guy is touted as a guy who understands analytics, which is I think what bugs me. Nothing he's written this year shows even an elementary grasp of analytics.
Out of interest, which writers (Canucks focused or otherwise) do you think are good?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Fond memories of the late 90’s where Burke came in and stomped a mud hole in Dan Russel, Neil McRae (RIP), and David Pratt..........while also turning the organization around in a big way.

Burke, in my opinion, is the biggest reason why 2001-2015 occurred (ie only three playoff misses in 15 seasons).

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

member 290103

Why don’t Halford and Brough write for the Athletic any longer? I liked their stuff better than Drance and Dayal. There’s also very little fan interaction with the Canucks writers. Contrast that to Botchford last year or others...like the Seahawk guy, who is on all the time answering fan questions.

Athletic needs to shore up its Canucks coverage.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Fond memories of the late 90’s where Burke came in and stomped a mud hole in Dan Russel, Neil McRae (RIP), and David Pratt..........while also turning the organization around in a big way.

Burke, in my opinion, is the biggest reason why 2001-2015 occurred (ie only three playoff misses in 15 seasons).
Didn't Burke call Tony Gallagher a 'maggot'..?

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
What does "complexion of the team" even mean?

This guy seems like a moron. I have no idea who he was "before" he "left" or whatever but everything I've seen from him this year has been sub-iMac level nonsense.

I honestly don't really know. I'm assuming he meant how the Canucks perform when they're on the ice, but like you said the data's so small it might as well be meaningless.

No it isn’t. Drance didn’t site the data, Vanuck did. He is right to say that an effective 4th line changes the complexion of the team in the games they’ve played together based on what we’ve seen so far. We’ll see if the results continue but there is nothing wrong with stating it.

If they can share shutdown duties the way did against the Oilers it has quite a bit of strategic and tactical value.

They'd only played 138.5 minutes over the past 2 seasons which is basically equivalent to 13 games or something. There's nothing else he could have been referring to.

Again to take such a small sample of data and try to make inferences without acknowledging that is quite blatantly dishonest, which is what I took issue with.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Didn't Burke call Tony Gallagher a 'maggot'..?

Thought it was "pencil-necked geek" :laugh:

I used to not like Tony Gallagher much because he wrote a lot of pro player stuff during the lockout when we needed the salary cap. Now I can see he deserves a ton of respect and the shills these days have a lot to learn from Tony. Everyone is terrified to criticize and step on some toes. Making an enemy of Brian Burke takes some serious cojones.

Reactions: vanuck and Peter10

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

I used to not like Tony Gallagher much because he wrote a lot of pro player stuff during the lockout when we needed the salary cap. Now I can see he deserves a ton of respect and the shills these days have a lot to learn from Tony. Everyone is terrified to criticize and step on some toes. Making an enemy of Brian Burke takes some serious cojones.

I'm not sure how much he does anymore, but I still enjoyed the guest spots Tony would do on 1040 even as recent as last season. The market needs more voices like that.

Reactions: cabinessence

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017

Yes Burke did call him that and said his spine could be covered by dental floss. It was Neil Macrae who called Squire Barnes a pencil necked geek in one of his Sorts Page commentaries where he ripped several members of the media.

Green Blank Stare

Drance approved coach
May 16, 2019
Recent Dayal columns:

December 21st: How Bo Horvat's defensive issues are costing the Canucks at even strength

January 8th: Why Jake Virtanen's current scoring pace is unsustainable

January 17th: Bo Horvat's rise...and Jake Virtanen's two-way resurgence

I just can't...

1f3258b49a635e28caba1be9ec5ec7c98e9f98c.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: