Confirmed with Link: [VAN/TOR] Vancouver acquires Josh Leivo in exchange for Michael Carcone.

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
Great trade ,

Utica willl get Gaudette back soon so im not worried about them losing Carcone.

Leivo is exact opposite of Leipsic.
He is great on the boards and has a very deceiving shot. He will do we. With Horvat.

Leivo is the type of player than conetending teams need in playoffs. A Top 9 forward that can move up and down the lineup.

Leivo has a chsnce to be a great 3rd line winger for us once we are contending.

Reward is welllllll worth the risk of Carcone.
Contending? Playoffs? LOL.

Reactions: timw33

elwin316

Jun 4, 2009
Because there are better ways to acquire a player that has marginal value. This is an organization that doesn't actually have many assets. They don't stockpile picks they haven't attempted to stock the farm team etc. So value wise it may be "even" there have been several opportunities to keep an farm asset like Carcone and get a player like Leivo for free. Benning appears to pass those thing up all the time. He spends assets on players organizations have tired of and are destined to be UFA or on the waiver wire.

So sure let's give Leivo a chance....I haven't said otherwise. But I'm not going to call this a steal or anything like it because on the surface I don't believe this is the best move that could have been made for this organization in the past week.

I don't think any one should call this a steal at this point, likewise, I don't think any one should call it an immediate loss either, which is basically the point I'm trying to make. I can definitely agree on giving Leivo a chance though.

Reactions: Nomobo

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
A big body who has shown skill at lower levels and was stuck behind a stacked forward group on Toronto for an AHL player (albeit one playing exceptionally well this month). Why not?

If he turns into nothing and we let him walk at the end of the year, I still think this is the exact type of risk you take.

Try playing him next to Pettersson. He works the boards well, has decent IQ, and can add some size to that line. Boeser lines up on the right side.

Move Goldobin onto Horvat's line to add some play making to that line. Spreads out the skill a little more and allows us to roll two threatening lines.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The thing is, these guys have no where else to go and need to be given opportunities to succeed for us to at least see what we have in them. Even if it is marginal, all playing time helps and I really don't care if Utica suffers because of it. They are a farm team, and serve the purpose of developing young players.

Let's be real, Carcone was not an asset that was going to get us anything to help our defence or poor goaltending. At the very least, Leivo is an upgrade at wing and should provide Horvat more support in Baertschi's absence.

Clearing dead-weight in Utica for someone that can serve a purpose on the Canucks should not be seen as a negative. We didn't trade a draft pick, or a player with any upside (or value). If you think Carcone could've been used as an asset ever, you are dreaming.

Carcone is dead weight in Utica? He is damn near the leading scorer! He wasn't taking time from anyone or needed to be moved to free up time for guys who can't remain in the lineup over pro try out guys.

It is a rare situation when a player is being held back because of circumstances beyond their control. They are being held back because they aren't actually capable of more (see several Benning acquisitions). Leivo is far more likely to be Granlund or Pouliot or Leipsic than he is a Marchessault or even someone that is in the NHL a couple years from now.

I do like that in Benning-land the younger players on the canucks supposedly need support but somehow the developing players on the farm don't need any such support.

There were better ways to try to address the wing situation available to the GM then to weaken the farm team even further.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
A big body who has shown skill at lower levels and was stuck behind a stacked forward group on Toronto for an AHL player (albeit one playing exceptionally well this month). Why not?

If he turns into nothing and we let him walk at the end of the year, I still think this is the exact type of risk you take.

Try playing him next to Pettersson. He works the boards well, has decent IQ, and can add some size to that line. Boeser lines up on the right side.

Move Goldobin onto Horvat's line to add some play making to that line. Spreads out the skill a little more and allows us to roll two threatening lines.

Would like to see him with Horvat and Virtanen.

Horvat and Baertschi when Sven returns.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Leivo is a prototypical Benning gamble/reclaimation type player, not something that has historically gone in his favour.

If you replace the names in this thread you’ll probably have the same initial comments about the Leipsic and Pouliot trades.

I doubt Leivo is sticking around for that long unless he tremendously bursts through his expectations.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Looks like a Mikael Samuelsson type of player

Edit: Before the Wings taught him how to play hockey

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
It makes sense in that as thin as we are up front we're lacking skilled RH wingers, even if the skill level is only tweener ability. Consider me extremely skeptical that he has any sort of breakout potential in him though. Leaf fans can say all hey want how he wasn't given an opportunity, but that's a team over the last 2 years who has had Matthews, Tavares, Kadri, and Bozak down the middle, if Leivo was capable of playing he should have found a fit at some point.

The main positive is that we didn't give up a draft pick. So the only criticism I'd have is if while I'm not concerned about the trade if we wanted a guy like Leivo to play behind Boeser why not just claim Zykov a week ago and keep Carcone for the Comets?

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Well i guess more playing time for lind dahlen and gadjovich plus the nhl team comes before the ahl team
Gadjovich should be in the ECHL. He is completely overwhelmed in the AHL and more minutes is the last thing he needs. Forcing him into the AHL because of a lack of decent depth isn't doing anyone a favour.

Pretty much a Benning special trade. Give up a prospect for a nothing NHLer when comparable players are available on waivers. Biggest loser is the Comets.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Think Virtanen with half the speed and a lower hockey IQ.

Total defensive liability.

Enjoy Europe and I'll look forward watching ya in the Spengler Cup a few years from now.

Didn't check but did TO just save 900K off their cap?

Reactions: Leaf4Life

Once

Jul 16, 2010
Not sure who EP plays with but I think Leivo would compliment his skillset well. Can help on the cycle and has been finishing more lately. Very nice shot.

Leivo also isn't afraid to get in someones face, unlike many of the Leafs.

Reactions: ratbid

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
His skating is atrocious

Ok so he'll fit right in.

Yeah this makes a lot of sense to me. Who cares if Carcone was good on Utica? His upside isn't what Leivo is now.. Getting rid of players like Carcone clears more playing time for actual prospects like Dahlen, Lind and Gadjovich.

Leivo will be a better lineman for Horvat than Schaller or Loui.

Well, if only the prospects were playing well enough to deserve that extra ice time instead of completely floundering on a team that has far too few experienced professional's.

Utica is the biggest loser from today's moves.

The biggest positive to this trade that no one is talking about: they didn’t needlessly give up a pick.

Ugh, I hate that this is how low our bar for success has become.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Leivo would have been waived and picked up, but probably not by the 4 to 6 teams ahead of u

Benning could have been stingy and given scraps of scraps but he helped Dubas get some value here

Overall I think this is a good trade but I still would have preferred getting Zykov for free

Reactions: timw33

Var

Nov 10, 2007
Wonder if Acquilini pressure has anything to do with this.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
So does our actual roster. Especially when Bo and Pete are playing with dead weight on their wings.

And there were two free options in Aberg and Zykov that we could have tried out (and subsequently waived if they didn't work out). I think this well end up being kind of a nothing trade overall, mainly based on this management's record of pro scouting.

I also think it's incredibly funny how we just bolstered the Marlies (again) and thinned out Utica—we are doing them an incredible disservice this year.

Reactions: geebaan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad