Confirmed with Link: [VAN/TOR] Vancouver acquires Josh Leivo in exchange for Michael Carcone.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
How the f*** did we get Leivo for Carcone
Not bad jimbo

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Anyone else notice that the 25 year old with less than 90 career NHL games is a full time NHLer, while the 22 year old who is posting similar AHL numbers as the former did at the same age, on a far uglier team, is a worthless AHL lifer?

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Leivo NEVER received opportunity to play with Matthews,Marner, Nylander, etc. Best he had was Kadri for a little while. Serviceable 3rd liner and possibly better if meshes with one of your top talent. Ttyl!

elwin316

Jun 4, 2009
Anyone else notice that the 25 year old with less than 90 career NHL games is a full time NHLer, while the 22 year old who is posting similar AHL numbers as the former did at the same age, on a far uglier team, is a worthless AHL lifer?

That's an interesting take. I presume you are insinuating that is what the majority of others have posted? Care to share some examples to confirm?

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Don't really like this trade. Leivo has played parts of the last 6 seasons with the Leafs. He's had many opportunities with that team, even when they were bad. They know what they're giving up and it's probably not much. Carcone likely won't turn into anything either, but it would have been a better bet to take considering Leivo is also waiver-eligible.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
He has been having a breakout season in Utica.

Not saying he's a stud, but looking at last year's rankings doesn't tell the whole story. Read some of Ms posts lately about Utica's games. Carcone has been a consistent stand out.
I want to know why having experience on the big club is SOOOOO important for our guys to "learn how to win" (a lesson they are clearly absorbing in spades) that it's worth shelling out millions upon millions for role players, but having some skilled mentorship in the AHL – where the bulk of would-be prospects is actually developing – is not important to the organization?

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Hated this at first but once it marinated I actually kind of like it. When we activate Beagle we will have to send someone down. Probably Gaudette since he's waiver exempt and he can replace the scoring in Utica that Carcone leaves. I don't know much about Leivo other than Leafs trying to pawn him for forever, but if he's a good board player with a good shot like I've read thus far he could definitely work with EP40. I would rather see Goldobin with Horvat anyways especially now that the Beagle line will end up doing more of the defensive heavy lifting. Additionally if his shot is that good, with him being right handed maybe he can play on the PP instead of Gagner in the slot, moving Gagner to the 2nd unit with Goldobin. Until Sutter and Baertschi come back:

Leivo-EP40-Boeser
Goldobin-Horvat-Virtanen
Rousell-Gagner-Eriksson
Motte-Beagle-Granlund
Schaller

Sutter comes back and takes Gagner's place- Schaller waived. Baertschi comes back, and Biega sent back down. Not sure who comes out of the lineup for him though.

Reactions: ratbid

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
This just opens up more room for the young guys in Utica to earn spots in the line up as well.
I see very little wrong with this deal.
Josh Leivo is a pretty good player, He has strong hockey IQ, I am actually really surprised at the leafs to just throw him away.
He is better than most of our plugs on the bottom 6.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
The games i've seen of Leivo recently i was pretty impressed. Looked like a good skater and really strong on the puck and from all reports is a good teammate and organizational guy. Can definitely be the glue grit guy playing the 3rd role on a top3 line.

he laughably is our 6th leading goal scorer tied with Hutton Goldobin and Eriksson with 4 in limited usage and will no doubt be an improvement on the cluster of Gagner Granlund Eriksson Schaller Motte Leipsic which means he instantly becomes our 4th or 5th best winger with Roussel who has been pretty solid lately.

baby steps but i feel like he will be a popular Canuck if they can make things work here.

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
Seems like we swapped an AHLer who likes to try to do it all himself for a nhl third liner. I don’t mind this one.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Leivo is one of toronto best possession players wasn't he?
I see little/no downside with this move.

What in the moon are the people in the first 2 pages of this thread smoking.
Utica does get a bit screwed in the deal, but come on, it opens up the kids to actually get spots 2 play now.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I see this as a potential upgrade on Leipsic but that`s purely looking at the NHL roster. I`m guessing the Utica folks aren`t thrilled.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
One Leaf fan already popped by to mention it was "atrocious". A good sign!

yeah saw a few mentions like:

Love Leivo. Slow but man he can shoot and is smart. Loved being a Leaf. Victim of depth. Gonna miss the guy, one of my favourites. Canucks got a good player

Slow. Well there's your likely answer to why he isn't a regular yet.

Too bad...
But If this move enables Gaudette to go down... then its already a good move.

I won't judge his skating till I ultimately see it first hand...

If he shows something past his initial 3-5 games, maybe it enables a Schaller move.

Just glad Baertschi is on the ice again.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I don't mind the trade. Yeah, it hurts Utica a lot, but this Canucks roster is desperate for top 9 wingers (especially left wing), so it's a decent low-risk medium-reward trade. Looks like Baertschi's injury may have been the catalyst for it.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Best thing about this trade: he never played for the winter hawks.

The worst thing: He played for Trent Cull in Sudbury.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
This trade seems like a clear win for the Canucks, not sure why some people don't like this. Leivo has a chance to contribute on our roster...he apparently has good hockey IQ so can possibly play with Bo or Elias, Provides more options for Green to shuffle all 4 lines if someone isn't producing. (cough schaller) I also allows us to move Gaudette down to Utica soon giving him more ice time and giving them a center.

It's a win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad