Confirmed with Link: [VAN/TOR] Vancouver acquires Josh Leivo in exchange for Michael Carcone.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
For the Toronto fans - Carcone didn’t figure into many conversations the past two seasons other than looking good in prospect tournaments. But this season seemed to be a different story - was one of the offensive leaders down on the farm and was consistently playing good hockey. His biggest asset is he has blazing speed.

For the Canucks - Leivo seems like a guy who didn’t get a fair shake in his current environment and will likely get one in Vancouver. He seems to have some size and skill. The downside here, of course, is for poor Utica, who lose one of the few bright spots they’ve had to start their season.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Leivo has a hard shot, but it isn't overly accurate.

His skating is atrocious, but you guys are extremely weak on the wings. It's a filler move I suppose

Leivo has 15 goal upside I would say, if everything goes right.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
As a leaf fan you guys did really well. I know it seems inconsequential but finding decent third liners that are young and can grow is underrated imo. Leivo has a solid shot and is really good at puck battles and his board play is solid. He will back check and most games you notice the guy. Skating is poor but that's about it. You guys did really well here and as much as I'm annoyed, I'm happy for leivo. Hoping he gets his chance and runs with it.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Josh Leivo is a top 6 forward. I’m serious this is such a steal I can’t believe people are actually still finding a way to hate on Benning with this deal. Leivo has an amazing shot and hockey IQ, he was a top 6 forward who barely got playing time because of Babcock’s stupid descisions. He’s much much better than Leipsic, Scherbak, and Zykov. Oh by the way, Scherbak and Zykov were both claimed before we had a chance to claim them so stop the **** and complaining that we didn’t just get one of them. Solid deal. Give Benning credit where it’s due even if he’s an awful GM

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Best-case scenario is they've had enough of Schaller and he is waived as the corresponding move.

This seems more like an absurd panic move due to losing leipsic.

Trades a 22 year old for a 25 year old. Just add it to the list of Benning constantly targeting older players during a "rebuild."

Carcone was a longshot but this is still garbage. Just claim someone like Aberg off waivers for f***ity f*** sakes.

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
I like it, any trade where you get a guy who can play in the NHL for an AHL lifer is a good deal.

Edit: yes we could have claimed others on waivers but they kind of got claimed by other teams

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Josh Leivo is a top 6 forward. I’m serious this is such a steal I can’t believe people are actually still finding a way to hate on Benning with this deal. Leivo has an amazing shot and hockey IQ, he was a top 6 forward who barely got playing time because of Babcock’s stupid descisions. He’s much much better than Leipsic, Scherbak, and Zykov. Oh by the way, Scherbak and Zykov were both claimed before we had a chance to claim them so stop the **** and complaining that we didn’t just get one of them. Solid deal. Give Benning credit where it’s due even if he’s an awful GM

Not sure if satire

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Lol all these leaf fans sound like Bruin fans talking about Schaller

Leivo stinks and won’t move the needle at all, the only plus here is we didn’t move a pick for more age gap junk

The negative is Utica is even worse off

I wouldn't say he stinks. I wouldn't call him great either. His best asset is his shot, which he's rarely in a position to get off because the rest of his tools aren't great. He's decent on the boards but nothing special. His biggest weakness is his first step acceleration and passing ability. His straight line speed is adequate. All in all, a 3rd line pure finisher you can expect 10-15 goals from and about 30pts. Needs good linemates to really succeed.

Idk why so many other Leafs fans are so far up his ass. Yeah he's been good in his role this year but he's a replacement level player. I think people just want a reason to screech about Babcock.

Mar 14, 2015

Agreed. Happy he ending up in Vancouver, he has the talent and just need the opportunity.
I can see a line of Leivo - Pete - Brockstar

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

You're complaining to a fan base that has gone through about 1,500 of these players in 5 years. What do you expect? You can probably pretty easily find similar statements around Vey, Leipsic, Motte, Granlund, Pouliot, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if one of these players finally popped, but it's a numbers game at this point. Heck, Bruins fans told us we were going to like Tim Schaller and that guy is like offensively bad at hockey.

Reactions: geebaan

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
MORE fourth line PLUG tweeners that are borderline NHL players... we get rid of Leipsic and go grab this guy? How is Leivo going to help us?

Granlund
Leipsic
Motte
Schaeller
Linden Vey
Emerson Etem
Brandon Prust
Jack Skille
Veilo

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
indifference what this means for the canucks but a huge huge huge help for the utica
while looking pretty ??? on paper, but typical when someone does a nice good-will move for actually promising him from what i read just now, ' to a more favorable team had he not made the leafs'

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
This seems more like an absurd panic move due to losing leipsic.

Trades a 22 year old for a 25 year old. Just add it to the list of Benning constantly targeting older players during a "rebuild."

Carcone was a longshot but this is still garbage. Just claim someone like Aberg off waivers for ****ity **** sakes.

I agree, I just meant since the trade is done the best-case scenario going forward is that they are admitting their mistake on Schaller. Or, maybe they have something else going on.

Seems like a weird time to add another forward body unless something else is happening.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Not sure if satire

He’s definitely a byproduct of the Toronto Sports Network hype machine. I kid you not, probably the only reason I knew his name prior to this trade was because of their endless prognosticating about “where does he fit” and “will he get a real chance”.

Whether any of that means he’ll be good for the Canucks or not, who knows. But I think Botchford said it well today - you could dress Leivo next to Horvat tomorrow and he would instantly be the best winger he’s played with this season.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
You're complaining to a fan base that has gone through about 1,500 of these players in 5 years. What do you expect? You can probably pretty easily find similar statements around Vey, Leipsic, Motte, Granlund, Pouliot, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if one of these players finally popped, but it's a numbers game at this point. Heck, Bruins fans told us we were going to like Tim Schaller and that guy is like offensively bad at hockey.
I’ve been watching Leivo very closely. He excels offensively in every situation. His shot, IQ and play on the boards is great, only weakness is that he can’t play the PK and that’s why Babcock didn’t play him. Babcock loves his bottom 9 forwards being able to play the PK. This is a solid deal and Leivo will break out if played next to EP or Horvat mark my words.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Great trade ,

Utica willl get Gaudette back soon so im not worried about them losing Carcone.

Leivo is exact opposite of Leipsic.
He is great on the boards and has a very deceiving shot. He will do we. With Horvat.

Leivo is the type of player than conetending teams need in playoffs. A Top 9 forward that can move up and down the lineup.

Leivo has a chsnce to be a great 3rd line winger for us once we are contending.

Reward is welllllll worth the risk of Carcone.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
I wouldn't say he stinks. I wouldn't call him great either. His best asset is his shot, which he's rarely in a position to get off because the rest of his tools aren't great. He's decent on the boards but nothing special. His biggest weakness is his first step acceleration and passing ability. His straight line speed is adequate. All in all, a 3rd line pure finisher you can expect 10-15 goals from and about 30pts. Needs good linemates to really succeed.

Idk why so many other Leafs fans are so far up his ass. Yeah he's been good in his role this year but he's a replacement level player. I think people just want a reason to screech about Babcock.

It’s the home grown effect

Fans become attached to guys that are drafted and come up through the system and end up overrating them. We’re all guilty of it

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
He’s a lot better than a 4th liner. Trust me he’s going to flourish in Vancouver.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
Another team giving their younger forward a shot in a favorable position just like Leipsic last year. I'll take losing a AHLer over giving up a pick honestly, but it honestly sucks for Utica to lose another player.

I would guess Gaudette is heading down with Beagle playing Tuesday since they still have to make a move now that any space from waiving Leipsic is cancelled out by trading for Leivo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad